Are we headed for a civil war? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 08:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Are we headed for a civil war?

Oh, it must have been Pat Buchanan and Ollie North throwing trash and rocks at the police.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
sflori - 10/29/2004 8:04 PM

The question was asked by a friend of mine last weekend and I saw a suggestion of it just now in engatwork's thread.

I'd say that we're at least headed towards a cultural war of sorts. I don't know about an actual civil war where states susceede from the Union.

What do you all think?
I think Kerry's going to win. I'll be pissed-off for a couple weeks, but I'll get over it. It takes a big arc to trun the ship of state and I don't think Kerry will have much effect until his second term.

On the bright side for me with a Kerry win is that I'll personally professionally benefit in some ways from having Democrats in charge. Unless they raise taxes again. You know, like SSI payments, tariffs, Medicare, fuel 'environmental' taxes, etc. Then the middleclass will be screwed while the poor get subsidized and the rich right it off.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Bush, uniter not divider, has managed to divide us to the point where people are talking about civil war.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 10/29/2004 8:08 PM

Bush, uniter not divider, has managed to divide us to the point where people are talking about civil war.
Shhhhhh!!!!! That's what I said. Someone took exception... [B)]

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
kvining - 10/29/2004 11:08 PM

You divide yourself. He led a direction you chose not to follow. Had he led another direction you may or may not have chosen to follow. We each make our own choices whether or not to follow this or that leader.

Like ol' Bill. About half the nation chose to follow him and about half chose not to. Was he a divider? I'm sure a lot of his ardent haters would say so while his passionate followers would just ascribe that to personal hatred by his detractors. Who is right?

A convenient label is how we dismiss each other without having to think.

B
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:29 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Botnst - 10/29/2004 8:20 PM

B
Do you believe that the nation was divided under Clinton as it is now (degree, not cause)?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
GermanStar - 10/29/2004 11:29 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 10/29/2004 8:20 PM

B
Do you believe that the nation was divided under Clinton as it is now (degree, not cause)?
Statistically, yes. The vast rightwing conspiracy was fervantly, feverishly looking for anything to use against him and the true-believing leftwing conspiracy was blind to his faults. I fell somewhere in the muddled middle. His presidency confirmed in me that i would not become a registered Republican, though I was and am an unhappy Democrat. I think Clinton's domestic agenda was pretty good. He accomplished what Republicnas cynically promised for forty years---welfare reform and a balanced budget and a vibrant, growing economy. I was completely opposed to Clinton's foreign policy, which was typical eastern-democrat establishment internationalism. Never did like that. From Democrats, I like the Roosevelt/Truman/Kennedy foreign policy. Be nice, but be resolute and willing to risk everything for liberty.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

I didn't care for Clinton much, but was quite impassionate in that regard. He seemed capable enough, but it was very difficult to repect him as a man (for me, the lies more than the blow jobs). I would have to say that the invasion of Iraq is about the only thing that any POTUS did during my lifetime that really got me riled.

I recall reading a excellent article in the Wilson Quarterly many years ago that discussed the presidency in regard to the energy crisis. The author contended that any post-WWII president should and could have raised the price of domestic oil, which would have averted the crisis. In that context he discussed and rated each and every president from Truman through Nixon. Truman had too much going on, Eisenhower was a schlub, Kennedy was too interested in being popular in the aftermath of a narrow victory margin. LBJ should never have been president at all (too personally involved in the oil business), I don't recall his opinion of Nixon. It wes interesting. Of the bunch, you gotta love Truman, don't ya?

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:58 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Very very doubtful it's easy to be big talkers from
behind a key board. We have it to good here.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 10:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 10/29/2004 11:05 PM

Quote:
sflori - 10/29/2004 8:04 PM

The question was asked by a friend of mine last weekend and I saw a suggestion of it just now in engatwork's thread.

I'd say that we're at least headed towards a cultural war of sorts. I don't know about an actual civil war where states susceede from the Union.

What do you all think?
I think Kerry's going to win. I'll be pissed-off for a couple weeks, but I'll get over it. It takes a big arc to trun the ship of state and I don't think Kerry will have much effect until his second term.

On the bright side for me with a Kerry win is that I'll personally professionally benefit in some ways from having Democrats in charge. Unless they raise taxes again. You know, like SSI payments, tariffs, Medicare, fuel 'environmental' taxes, etc. Then the middleclass will be screwed while the poor get subsidized and the rich right it off.
I wish I had your confidence. Personally, I think we are looking at a repeat of 1968, when the rednecks elected Pignose as they were whipped on by the Republican's phony patriotism. The election, as is our history, will be followed by years of needless death and social unrest, until the day comes when the voters finally realize they got duped. Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in