post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 03:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Oh, the tangled web we weave...

Quote:
koop - 10/29/2004 4:48 PM

But if you start from the proposition that a fetus is a human life with rights and abortion is murder what is the rational for the incest/rape exception.

Is a human conceived under these circumstances less human? Are we endowed with less rights based on who are father is?
Well, koop, I don't start with the proposition that abortion is murder. I recognize the dilemma for those who do, and that very consideration is what makes me say that elective abortions really shouldn't be publicly funded. But when I think about some underage kid who has been forced into pregnancy due to incest and who probably has no money, being too young to work, and likely no access to health insurance, well, it's a harsh thing any way you look at it, morally speaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 04:22 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

I didn't mean that "you" directed towards you specifically.

I don't like the use of the word "elective" in this context. Makes it sound like a face lift. When you get right down to it, all surgery is elective, no one makes you have any surgery, you might die without that bypass but no one is forceing you into the operating room.

I don't think we should pick and choose which medical procedures are funded based on morality. I'm of the opinion that once the door to the examining room closes what goes on in there is between a patient and the doctor.

If we are going to have a system that pays for health care (medicade/medicare) the procedures should be left up to the doctor and the patient.

In other words, if medicare will pay for pre natal care, and delivery expenses or any thing else in the reproductive field, abortion should be fair game too.

Don't want the gov involved, don't pay for any of it.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1989 420sel
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
koop - 10/29/2004 5:22 PM

Doesn't Kerry want the government involved? Doesn't he want national (government) health care? If so, then the government will decide what is and is not "elective"...

See, this issue goes pretty deep.

Quote:
koop - 10/29/2004 2:43 PM

"Now see if you can you can follow me on this?"

Was that supposed to be blinding insight?
Nope, just a little humor. You do know what humor is, don't you?
See, that was sarcasm...

91 BMW 325i Cabrio - "Tasha"
89 MB 420sel - "Helga"
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 05:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
jamminjames - 10/29/2004 5:07 PM

Quote:
koop - 10/29/2004 5:22 PM

Doesn't Kerry want the government involved? Doesn't he want national (government) health care? If so, then the government will decide what is and is not "elective"...

See, this issue goes pretty deep.

Quote:
koop - 10/29/2004 2:43 PM

"Now see if you can you can follow me on this?"

Was that supposed to be blinding insight?
Nope, just a little humor. You do know what humor is, don't you?
See, that was sarcasm...
Maybe you didn't watch the debates or listen to what Kerry proposed for health care. It did not involve national health care. Now what is your position?

OBK #35

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
jamminjames - 10/29/2004 4:07 PM

Doesn't Kerry want the government involved? Doesn't he want national (government) health care?
Ummmmm -- no. This was all explained during the debates. You really should have watched like the rest of us.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 06:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:

But if you start from the proposition that a fetus is a human life with rights and abortion is murder what is the rational for the incest/rape exception.

Is a human conceived under these circumstances less human? Are we endowed with less rights based on who are father is?
Well said. I'd argue that, assuming life begins at conception, that life should have the same rights as anyone else-- which includes the right to life.

Shameful how the most helpless in our society (a society that champions the protection of the helpless) are routinely destroyed through abortion.

I'd also state that I don't see any compelling reason for abortion-- rape is evil, but life is present just the same. Who suffers the most in that case? I'd say the unborn child that ends up in the trash. So much for its rights.

Current:
1995 E-320, 163*** miles
1987 190-E 16-valve, 150*** miles

Former:
1980 300-D, approx. 225*** miles, donated to the National Kidney Foundation.
1980 240-D, 297500 miles, totalled when hit by innatentive driver. Missed dearly.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1989 420sel
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
GermanStar - 10/29/2004 6:13 PM

Quote:
jamminjames - 10/29/2004 4:07 PM

Doesn't Kerry want the government involved? Doesn't he want national (government) health care?
Ummmmm -- no. This was all explained during the debates. You really should have watched like the rest of us.
Actually I taped them - all four. I'm surprised that you people didn't see what he was proposing. Yes, he said that you would have a choice - government health care or some other provider. Now take this a step further... Private providers will be paying more in taxes - Kerry said so (in the debates). Since they pay more, they will transfer that extra overhead to guess who - you! Since the cost of private health care will be so high, thanx to Kerry, the only alternative you'll have is his lower cost government (oops, sorry - national) health care. then he gets to decide what's covered. At my expense because my taxes are paying for it.

Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is usually the best.

91 BMW 325i Cabrio - "Tasha"
89 MB 420sel - "Helga"
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

I think you need to watch the tape again, if you can bear it...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
sflori - 10/29/2004 8:01 PM

Quote:

Well said. I'd argue that, assuming life begins at conception, that life should have the same rights as anyone else-- which includes the right to life.

Shameful how the most helpless in our society (a society that champions the protection of the helpless) are routinely destroyed through abortion.

I'd also state that I don't see any compelling reason for abortion-- rape is evil, but life is present just the same. Who suffers the most in that case? I'd say the unborn child that ends up in the trash. So much for its rights.

I'm interested in this, Stefano, because I think it is a difficult logical problem. If a baby is still in the uterus it can be treated as excess, inconvenient tissue, but once outside of the Mom's body it has inalienable rights. I understand your position, the Catholic Church's--its the only rational and consistent argument concerning abortion that doesn't also include infanticide.

What intrigues me is how folks come to the viability argument. It used to be that it was a viable person if it could live unassisted outside of the mom. But we're really good at helping premies survive and there is no reason to believe we wont some day figure out how to bring a zygote to term artificially.

At what point in the developmental process would it be okay to kill that tissue? Zygote? Blastula? 5 cm? 20 cm? 2 years of age? These are difficult questions that society is careening toward much faster than taboos and morals and laws are capable of dealing with.

The easiest way to deal with them is the traditional one of demonizing those with whom one disagrees.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
The easiest way to deal with them is the traditional one of demonizing those with whom one disagrees.
That's funny. I don't consider that "dealing" with the problem in any sense whatsoever.

I know, I know, you are being sarcastic.

OBK #35

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in