post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bush calls Pat Robertson a Liar

Look, I am no Pat Robertson supporter, in fact I loath the nasty fascist. But I must say, his account of a meeting with Bush in which Bush states to Robertson that there would be no casualities in Iraq seems perfectly reasonable. It is however, politically embarassing for Bush, as it portrays him for what we all no anyway, a man without a plan who viciously attacked a weaker country. So what does he do? He calls the guy a liar! One of his top supporters, a guy with no ax to grind who praises him with every step. Does anyone need anymore proof that Bush, when caught in a difficult situation, will simply lie his way out of it?

No casualties? White House disputes Robertson comment
'The president never made such a comment'
Thursday, October 21, 2004 Posted: 1:22 AM EDT (0522 GMT)
www.allpolitics.com

EAU CLAIRE, Wisconsin (CNN) -- A White House spokesman denied Wednesday that President Bush told Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson that he did not expect casualties from the invasion of Iraq.

"The president never made such a comment," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

Senior Bush campaign adviser Karen Hughes, a longtime confidant of the president, said she was "certain" Bush would not have said anything like that to Robertson.

"Perhaps he misunderstood, but I've never heard the president say any such thing," Hughes said on CNN's "Inside Politics."

Robertson, an ardent Bush supporter, told CNN in an interview Tuesday night that he urged the president to prepare the American people for the prospect of casualties before launching the war in March 2003.

Robertson said Bush told him, " 'Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties.' "

More than 1,100 American troops have been killed in Iraq since the invasion, most of them battling an insurgency that followed the overthrow of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

Sen. John Kerry, Bush's Democratic challenger, quickly seized on Robertson's account.

Kerry's campaign issued a statement Wednesday challenging Bush to say whether the "700 Club" founder and 1988 GOP presidential candidate was telling the truth.

"We believe President Bush should get the benefit of the doubt here," Kerry spokesman Mike McCurry said in a news release.

"But he needs to come forward and answer a very simple question: Is Pat Robertson telling the truth when he said you didn't think there'd be any casualties, or is Pat Robertson lying?"

McClellan said Bush did meet with Robertson in Nashville before the invasion, as Robertson recounted. But McClellan said Bush always has recognized that war "requires sacrifice" and that there would be American casualties.

In a statement issued Wednesday afternoon, Robertson restated his "100 percent" support for Bush's re-election and said he began and ended his CNN interview "with my warm endorsement and praise of President Bush." But he did not back away from his comments.

"I emphatically stated that, 'I believe 'the blessing of heaven is upon him,' and I am persuaded that he will win this election and prevail on the war against terror in order to keep America safe from her avowed enemies," Robertson said.

In his CNN interview, the religious leader described Bush on the eve of the invasion as "the most self-assured man I've ever met in my life."

"You remember Mark Twain said, 'He looks like a contented Christian with four aces.' I mean he was just sitting there like, 'I'm on top of the world,' " Robertson said on CNN's "Paula Zahn Now."

"And I warned him about this war. I had deep misgivings about this war, deep misgivings. And I was trying to say, 'Mr. President, you had better prepare the American people for casualties.' "

He said that's when the president told him he did not expect casualties from the invasion.

Even if he stumbles and messes up -- and he's had his share of stumbles and gaffes -- I just think God's blessing is on him.
-- Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson

In the interview, Robertson also said he wishes Bush would admit to mistakes made.

"I mean, the Lord told me it was going to be A, a disaster, and B, messy," Robertson said. "I warned him about casualties."

Asked why he thought Bush has refused to admit to mistakes on Iraq, Robertson said, "I don't know this politics game. You know, you can never say you were wrong because the opposition grabs onto it: 'See, he admitted he screwed up.' "

Even as Robertson criticized Bush for downplaying the potential dangers of the Iraq war, he heaped praise on Bush, saying he believes the president will win the election.

"Even if he stumbles and messes up -- and he's had his share of stumbles and gaffes -- I just think God's blessing is on him," Robertson said.

CNN's John King contributed to this report.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 05:19 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 300d, 409d
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Bush calls Pat Robertson a Liar

I saw a clip of Robertson making that remark and was puzzled by it. What is Robertson trying to do? Does he see the vulnerability of Bush in this election and is trying to position himself as a critic of Bush in order to stake out some ground for a future run for the presidency? The sole function of the remark seems to be to show Bush lacked foresight which Robertson had?
It's interesting that Robertson needed God to figure out the war was a bad idea. Plenty of other people easily came to that conclusion on their own.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Well, kerry, it seems both of these men talked to God, and came away with two different sets of instructions from the Almighty. I think Bush is positioning himself to put the fault for this whole mess where it belongs - on Jehovah himself. Cheney will be giving a speech tomorrow on Pat Robertson being proof that Yahweh is a flip-flopper, therefore a Democrat, and if you vote for Kerry, your voting for this flip-flopper deity as well.

In the Middle Ages, when men told tales like this, one of them obviously heard the voice of the Devil. Shouldn't we ask these men to submit to having heavy stones placed upon their chests, so we can see which one dies first?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 07:45 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Pres. Bush might not be the sharpest tool in the shed
but I can't imagine him say'n there would be no US casualties. Good Lord how many accidental deaths have there been.
Pretty sure that for they ordered a good supply of body bags for the initial invasion.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 08:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
guage - 10/21/2004 7:45 PM

Pres. Bush might not be the sharpest tool in the shed
but I can't imagine him say'n there would be no US casualties. Good Lord how many accidental deaths have there been.
Pretty sure that for they ordered a good supply of body bags for the initial invasion.
Gee, at this point I can imagine Bush saying it. I have no idea why Robertson would be coming out with this right now, but I can't imagine why he would be lying about it.

OBK #35

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 09:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Gee Kirk, you are trying awfully hard, aren't you? It must be a terrific strain.

You use that word, "Liar" with wild abondon. Folks can disagree without there being a lie, can't they?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
Botnst - 10/22/2004 9:31 AM

Gee Kirk, you are trying awfully hard, aren't you? It must be a terrific strain.

You use that word, "Liar" with wild abondon. Folks can disagree without there being a lie, can't they?
Just because politicians need to be careful with throwing the word around doesn't mean anyone else has to. Bush has told so many lies, I cannot take anything he says at face value anymore.

OBK #35

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:11 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Botnst - 10/22/2004 11:31 AM

not about something like this. We can disagree on whether the market will close over 10k this year without anyone being a lier. But if it's a "it happened, no it didn't" situation, someones lying.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
old300D - 10/22/2004 12:07 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 10/22/2004 9:31 AM

Just because politicians need to be careful with throwing the word around doesn't mean anyone else has to. Bush has told so many lies, I cannot take anything he says at face value anymore.
There's that word again.

You know, its possible to say something that proves to be untrue without lying, don't you? Heck, I do it all the time. I make generalizations or deductions or inferences that later prove to be incorrect, poorly conceived or jack-ass stupid. At the time they appear reasonable. Does this failure mean I am a incorrible liar? Heck no. It means I was wrong.

You guys are so convinced of your world-view that I cannot imagine how awfully unpleasant it must be to have night terrors, boogie-men and Halliburtians around every corner and under every bed.

Its a world-sized conspiracy and you are the folks who have seen it. What a terrific burden it is to have that knowledge and not get it through to us dumb, deluded people.

Hey, maybe we're co-conspirators with the Halliburtians?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in