post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 84 300D 84 240D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Mary Poppins registers to vote in Ohio

What was that advice you gave about not counting your geese before they hatch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Thats why I used the word "hope". I have no illusions about this election. It is a total crap shoot and one of them is as likely to win as the other. Bush is the incumbent, and America loves to return incompetance to office. Kerry being elected is the the draw to an outside straight.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 07:31 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1982 300SD

KV, we agree about something!
I could see this election as anything from a six month drawn out battle thru the courts to a 60/40 landslide for either candidate.
In any event, you won't hear me carping about the electoral college denying the will of the people. The electoral college IS the law of the land---at least until some activist court changes the rules.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 84 300D 84 240D
(Thread Starter)

Yeppers, only 12 more days.

By the way, did anybody hear that Mr. Thaddeus Jackson, Ohio Director of the NAACP Voter Fund was sacked for his multiple attempts at voter fraud??

Neither did I.

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 10:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Palangi, you do realize that falsifying voter registrations is a little different than the more serious offense of actual voter fraud? When ID is required to vote, who is going to pass as Mary Poppins?

OBK #35

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 10:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
MS Fowler - 10/21/2004 9:31 PM

I could see this election as anything from a six month drawn out battle thru the courts to a 60/40 landslide for either candidate.
In any event, you won't hear me carping about the electoral college denying the will of the people. The electoral college IS the law of the land---at least until some activist court changes the rules.
If Bush wins the popular vote and loses the electoral, I will not begin a petition drive to unseat Kerry, but I still will support any movement to make the Electoral College proportional, or to ban it.

The whole thing is a circus, and the media dishonesty in reporting poll numbers is incredible. All these polls are with the margin of error, and they are reporting the behavior of random numbers as big up or down movements in the polls, and claiming one guy or another is ahead. If they were honest, they would tell the voters these polls are all saying the same thing - too close to call.

They did the exact same thing last time, and were claiming Bush the winner then as well, and Gore ended up beating him in the popular vote. Gallup, ABC, Newsweek, all the news networks, were off by a mile in 2000. Zogby, for the second election in a row, predicted Gore would win the national contest and only missed the actual totals within a point. Keep your eye on that poll. Right now he says it is a 47/47 tie. He says it has been that way for weeks, and he thinks 6% of the electorate is so torn by the decision he calls the "Wizard of Oz Choice" they will not make up their mind until Nov 2. He says the voters have a choice between Tin Man Kerry, who has a brain but no heart, and Scarecrow Bush, a real nice fellow, but no brain.

The most outrageous thing is the media playing funny with the numbers. they want to play a see-saw effect, so evryone thinks the race is an exciting death to the finish, and we will all buy the media's crap as our candidate rises and falls. I spit on them for their dishonesty. Note this article:

CNN continued selective poll citing
http://mediamatters.org/items/200410210014

On the October 21 edition of CNN's Inside Politics, host Judy Woodruff again selectively cited presidential polls that showed President George W. Bush leading the race for the White House. Woodruff reported the results of state polls from New Hampshire, Wisconsin, and Michigan to suggest a significant lead for Bush in all three states -- but other equally recent polls show better results for Senator John Kerry, including, in some cases, a lead.

Woodruff noted that a Mason-Dixon Polling and Research poll conducted October 15-18 shows Bush with a 3% lead in New Hampshire. But Woodruff neglected to mention other recent New Hampshire poll results: a Rasmussen Reports survey completed October 18 shows Kerry two points ahead of Bush, and an American Research Group poll conducted October 16-18 shows Bush leading in New Hampshire by one percentage point.

Woodruff reported the CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll, conducted October 16-19, that gives Bush a six-point lead in Wisconsin. But she did not mention an American Research Group poll conducted October 16-19 that showed the race as even, or a poll conducted by the University of Minnesota's Humphrey Institute October 14-19 that put Bush's lead at one percentage point.

Woodruff noted that, according to a Detroit News poll conducted October 18-19, Bush has a four-point lead in Michigan. But she did not report Kerry's three-point lead in a Rasmussen poll concluded on October 19 or his seven-point lead in a Zogby poll completed on October 19; both these polls are available on the presidential election tracking website Electoral Vote Predictor 2004.

As Media Matters for America has noted, Woodruff selectively cited national polls on October 18 in order to bolster her assertion that "the polls seem to be moving in President Bush's favor." In recent days, CNN has repeatedly favored Bush by excluding polls favorable to Kerry.

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 04:17 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Of course, "the Media" want a horserace--it builds ratings, and that affects advertising rates, and that means....more money. Yea, I think that most of the people in the big media really want a Kerry win, but more than that, they want more money. Isn't it sort of sad, that even the election is less of a battle over ideaology as it is an opportunity for blatant capitalism---even from people who eschew capitalism when they see others profiting from it?
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 06:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
MS Fowler - 10/21/2004 9:31 PM

I think that Constitutionally, the election must be decided by sometime in December, I think. The courts cannot drag it beyond that date because according to the constitution, contested elections will be decided by the House if in dispute beyond some date or other.

So the worst-case scenario would be similar to 2000 election but instead of a single state recount, which is at least practical to litigate in that time frame, to have multiple state recounts and all litigated. There is no way that multiple state contested elections would be settled before the deadline for the House to certify the election, so the president would get selected by the House.

Its time for everybody to go read the Constitution. May as well get ahead of the curve for when the pundits and politicians start spinning this sucker.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 03:34 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Well, with the prevailing view that the Constitution is a "living" document, it can mean whatever the Supremes declare it to mean. Scarry.
I "hope" you are correct; it seems to me I've also read that the is a Constitutional deadline. Need to brush up on that document.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articleii.html#section1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in