Bush caught in major lie about Iraq: Gen Sanchez memo proves it - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bush caught in major lie about Iraq: Gen Sanchez memo proves it

Remember how Bush has said for months, it started right about the time people began to question if the War was botched, remember how he said that he always "gave the generals what they asked for" and how according to Bush, the generals always said they had everything they needed, you know, so it wouldn't be his fault if there wasn't enough troops and stuff? Well, he was lying thru his friggin teeth. Here is a new news stroy, seems someone leaked a memo from Gen Sanchez to Bush, where Gen Sanchez is telling Bush he needs all kinds of stuff:

In memo, Iraq war general noted readiness problems
Kerry: Sanchez's complaints prove Bush mishandled war
Monday, October 18, 2004 Posted: 8:26 PM EDT (0026 GMT)

From: http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/18/prez.iraq/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The war in Iraq again became a focus of the presidential race Monday with the leak of a document from a former top U.S. commander who questioned the Army's preparedness.

Army Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez wrote a memo in December 2003 in which he complained to top Army officials about a shortage of spare parts, lack of protective gear and poor readiness rates for Army weapons in Iraq.

The memo was leaked to the Washington Post, which first reported it in Monday's editions. CNN has since seen a copy of the memo, dated December 4, and also obtained a December 13 response from Gen. George Casey, then vice chief of the Army.

Casey has since replaced Sanchez in Iraq.

The leaked Pentagon document brought fresh accusations from Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry. He complained in Florida that President Bush's "mismanagement" of the Iraq war has left the United States less secure than it should be.

In a later speech in New Jersey, Bush largely ignored the Iraq war and instead reminded voters of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

The Sanchez memo said, in part, "I cannot continue to support sustained combat operations with rates this low." He was referring to the Army's readiness rates, which measure unit strength and how well equipment has been maintained.

The rate had fallen to 84 percent for Abrams main battle tanks, 85 percent for Bradley armored fighting vehicles and between 63 and 72 percent for Army helicopters.

At the time, Sanchez noted that the Army was struggling to maintain even those relatively low readiness rates and warned he could not ensure sustained combat operations could continue if the problem was not fixed.

Army officials have acknowledged that there were challenges in getting adequate supplies to troops in Iraq but say the problem was quickly solved.

"I share your concern about our Army's operational readiness and force protection posture," Casey said in his reply to Sanchez.

Monday, an Army official with direct knowledge of the situation said, "Any concerns raised by the general have been addressed."

However, last week a group of 18 soldiers refused orders to take part in a fuel convoy in Iraq because they feared their equipment was not properly maintained and did not have adequate safety equipment.

The Army called that an isolated incident and initiated an investigation. (Full story)

Vehicle readiness rates are now better than 90 percent, thanks to improvements in the delivery of spare parts. The helicopter readiness rate is 75 percent, an Army official said. Both numbers are within the Army's required level.

At a rally in West Palm Beach, Kerry said that after the Sanchez memo was sent, "George Bush went out and told the American people" that the troops were properly equipped.

"Despite the president's arrogant boasting that he's done everything right in Iraq and that he's made no mistakes, the truth is beginning to come out, and it's beginning to catch up with him," Kerry said.

Bush did argue in December, and has argued since, that the troops were properly equipped. It was not immediately clear whether the president knew about the Sanchez memo.

Bush campaign officials have criticized Kerry for voting against an $87 billion supplemental spending bill for Iraq and Afghanistan, saying it was a vote against important equipment for troops.

Kerry disputes the characterization, saying he never opposed support for troops but did disagree with the final version of the bill because of how it would be funded.

He had previously voted for an $87 billion spending bill that would have paid the cost, in part, through a roll-back of tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans. That measure was defeated.

Kerry said at the rally that Bush continues to "mislead America."

"Let me tell you something that I learned when I fought in Vietnam: Listen to the troops and give the troops the equipment that they need," Kerry said.

Bush spoke to supporters in Marlton, New Jersey, saying the United States needs "a president who defends America and fights for the middle class."

Bush turned around an argument Kerry frequently uses. Kerry often says Bush has alienated allies and entered Iraq without a broad coalition, noting that 90 percent of the coalition casualties have been Americans.

But Bush said Kerry has alienated allies because "he never shows respect for some of the 30 nations that are serving courageously in Iraq today."

Kerry said Bush must acknowledge his mistakes.

"Mr. President, when it comes to the war in Iraq, it is time to come clean and acknowledge what your military leaders have told you privately," he said. "The bottom line, Mr. President, is that your mismanagement of the war has, in fact, made Iraq and America less safe and less secure than they could have been and that they should have been today."

Bush is a no good lying bastard. A lot of people's kids got killed because the planning for the occupation was totally bothched by Bush & Co rosy thinking about flower-petal throwing Iraqis. He should be held accountable Nov 2 for getting those kids killed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 12:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
RE: Bush caught in major lie about Iraq: Gen Sanchez memo proves it

I sometimes think the range of things Bush is being caught lying about are confusing the voting population. I mean, you have to ask why he is lying all the time. What is the point? For the average Joe and Jill American, all this lying is incomprehensible because they would never do it. But Bush and his cohorts seem to know it is better to lie, as a matter of principle than to tell the truth. I once had a boss who lied about all kinds of trivial little things. And big things. About everything. I finally realized he lied because it gave him power. I used to tell people if they asked him what time it was, he would conclude you didn't have a watch, and therefore did not know exactly what time it was. Say it was 3 pm exactly, he would think, quickly, of the advantage it gave him if he told you it was 2:55 pm. Then compared that to what it would mean for him if he told you it was 3:05 pm. Guaranteed he would not tell you it was exactly 3 pm. Because that would make you equal to him concerning the time of day, which, up to that point, you were not.

Bush will be caught again and again. And it won't matter as long as it is not about where he inserted his penis, other than in his wife's intended receptacle. Because lying about where you put your dick is something Americans all over can understand and have an opinion about. But all that other stuff just goes over their heads because they find it easier to believe Bush's lies than to deal with the consequence of knowing he is lying about that too.

I hope this mound of manure he has exhaled buries him soon. This is just another example. Jim

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 08:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: Bush caught........

War of Words

By TOMMY FRANKS

Published: October 19, 2004

President Bush and Senator John Kerry have very
different views of the war on terrorism, and those
differences ought to be debated in this presidential
campaign. But the debate should focus on facts, not
distortions of history.

On more than one occasion, Senator Kerry has referred
to the fight at Tora Bora in Afghanistan during late
2001 as a missed opportunity for America. He claims
that our forces had Osama bin Laden cornered and
allowed him to escape. How did it happen? According to
Mr. Kerry, we "outsourced" the job to Afghan warlords.
As commander of the allied forces in the Middle East,
I was responsible for the operation at Tora Bora, and
I can tell you that the senator's understanding of
events doesn't square with reality.

First, take Mr. Kerry's contention that we "had an
opportunity to capture or kill Osama bin Laden" and
that "we had him surrounded." We don't know to this
day whether Mr. bin Laden was at Tora Bora in December
2001. Some intelligence sources said he was; others
indicated he was in Pakistan at the time; still others
suggested he was in Kashmir. Tora Bora was teeming
with Taliban and Qaeda operatives, many of whom were
killed or captured, but Mr. bin Laden was never within
our grasp.

Second, we did not "outsource" military action. We did
rely heavily on Afghans because they knew Tora Bora, a
mountainous, geographically difficult region on the
border of Afghanistan and Pakistan. It is where Afghan
mujahedeen holed up for years, keeping alive their
resistance to the Soviet Union. Killing and capturing
Taliban and Qaeda fighters was best done by the Afghan
fighters who already knew the caves and tunnels.

Third, the Afghans weren't left to do the job alone.
Special forces from the United States and several
other countries were there, providing tactical
leadership and calling in air strikes. Pakistani
troops also provided significant help - as many as
100,000 sealed the border and rounded up hundreds of
Qaeda and Taliban fighters.

Contrary to Senator Kerry, President Bush never "took
his eye off the ball" when it came to Osama bin Laden.
The war on terrorism has a global focus. It cannot be
divided into separate and unrelated wars, one in
Afghanistan and another in Iraq. Both are part of the
same effort to capture and kill terrorists before they
are able to strike America again, potentially with
weapons of mass destruction. Terrorist cells are
operating in some 60 countries, and the United States,
in coordination with dozens of allies, is waging this
war on many fronts.

As we planned for potential military action in Iraq
and conducted counterterrorist operations in several
other countries in the region, Afghanistan remained a
center of focus. Neither attention nor manpower was
diverted from Afghanistan to Iraq. When we started
Operation Iraqi Freedom we had about 9,500 troops in
Afghanistan, and by the time we finished major combat
operations in Iraq last May we had more than 10,000
troops in Afghanistan.

We are committed to winning this war on all fronts,
and we are making impressive gains. Afghanistan has
held the first free elections in its history. Iraq is
led by a free government made up of its own citizens.
By the end of this year, NATO and American forces will
have trained 125,000 Iraqis to enforce the law, fight
insurgents and secure the borders. This is in
addition to the great humanitarian progress already
achieved in Iraq.

Many hurdles remain, of course. But the gravest danger
would result from the withdrawal of American troops
before we finish our work. Today we are asking our
servicemen and women to do more, in more places, than
we have in decades. They deserve honest, consistent,
no-spin leadership that respects them, their families
and their sacrifices. The war against terrorism is the
right war at the right time for the right reasons. And
Iraq is one of the places that war must be fought and
won. George W. Bush has his eye on that ball and
Senator John Kerry does not.

Tommy Franks, a retired general and former commander
in chief of the Central Command, is the author of
"American Soldier." He is a member of Veterans for Bush

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Which is worse -- a prevarication from an ordinary mortal or one from a self appointed messenger of God? Is it fair to hold them to the same standard?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 09:19 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
When we started Operation Iraqi Freedom we had about 9,500 troops in Afghanistan, and by the time we finished major combat operations in Iraq last May we had more than 10,000 troops in Afghanistan.
This is likely to be a misleading stat. Notice the "When we started Iraqi Freedom" because that's where the problem is. How many were there for the acutal Afghan effort BEFORE we got sidetracked with Iraq, not how many were there afterward. For someon complaining about prevarications why include one yourself. Trying to research Enduring freedom troop levels to prove the misleading but not getting far yet.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
GermanStar - 10/20/2004 10:34 AM

Which is worse -- a prevarication from an ordinary mortal or one from a self appointed messenger of God? Is it fair to hold them to the same standard?
Another extraordinary feat of mind-reading.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

I guess you still haven't read Woodward's book..... It's right outta GW's mouth.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
GermanStar - 10/20/2004 6:10 PM

I guess you still haven't read Woodward's book..... It's right outta GW's mouth.
Quote it for me, please. Or give me the page number so I can read it.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1987 SDL 333K
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thin Price Bandar of Saudi Arabia and GW are lovers.............[:)][}:)]
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

"Going into this period, I was praying for strength to do the Lord's will. I'm surely not going to justify the war based on God. . . Nevertheless, in my case I pray that I be as good a messenger of His will as possible. And then of course I pray for personal strength and forgiveness."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in