post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:24 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
RE: Slavery Reparations

Kvining
Quote:
At Houston Community College, tuition has risen 300%
Exhibit 6-21 shows HCCS tuition and fee rates for 1999-2000 through 2002-03. Since 1999-2000, HCCS tuition and fees have increased by 43.3 percent for in-district students, by 61.1 percent for out-of-district students and by 12.5 percent for out-of-state students.

Exhibit 6-21
HCCS Fall Tuition and Fee Rates per Hour by Student Status
1999-2000 through 2002-03
Type Fee 1999-2000 2000-01 2001-02 2002-03
Student Status ID OD OS ID OD OS ID OD OS ID OD OS
Tuition Fee $11 $11 $62 $16 $16 $67 $19 $19 $70 $19 $19 $70
General Fee $17 $17 $40 $17 $17 $40 $18 $18 $41 $20 $20 $43
Out-of-District Fee $0 $24 $0 $0 $24 $0 $0 $29 $0 $0 $44 $0
Technology Fee $2 $2 $2 $2 $2 $2 $2 $2 $2 $4 $4 $4
Total $30 $54 $104 $35 $59 $109 $39 $68 $113 $43 $87 $117

Source: HCCS, Business Operations.
ID: In-district, OD: Out-of-district and OS: Out-of-state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

39 bucks is not bad.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1987 SDL 333K

Giving to individuals would cause more harm then good.

No doubt giving to schools to prepare any desendants of former slaves would be best.

Not only would it help them, but the area a as a whole.

In Dade County, one of the largest schools districts in the country, they are announcing layoffs and budget cuts tomorrow.

There are people moving in here like crazy, real estate taxes are going thru the roof as as result of higher property values and they're laying off teachers?

What, 50 kids in a class is not enough for one teacher?

Shit.........
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My family and I came to the US in 1968 from Canada, a country which harbored slaves during the civil war. I find the idea of reperations for slavery silly. Next evey other group will want money. Where will it stop. The English might demand reparations for the Norman invastion in 1066.

My wife's family came from Mexico in 1902. Are they also supposed to pay up?

This sounds like a shakedown to me.

LBJ's Great Society programs were put in place to help compensate Blacks in America for past wrongs. It's time to move on.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 03:46 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1982 300SD

I sense a shift in the discussion.
Are we arguing the principle, or the cost. It seems to me the first order of business is to see how we stand on the principle of the issue. It also seems that the overwhelming view here is that its a definite "NO".
If we've agreed that reparation are a bad idea, then why in the world even consider alternatives? Isn't the cost, or the implementation a moot point, if we decide that its a bad idea? It seems like some are saying, " Reparations are a bad idea, but if it only cost____, it might be a good idea, or if it could help the plight of the black community, then its a good idea. I thought we had a document lying around someplace that says something to the effect that the government shall not base any action on the race, or ethnicity of any individual.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2005
Send a message via MSN to Chevy_Bruiser

i think it is a load of crap to even think about reperations. i am not a racist person in fact i hate racist people but slavery has been going on for thousands of years every culture has enslaved another at one point or another. even africans have enslaved people. so i think reperations are the stupidest idea. samething with native americans yes what we did was wrong but it has been going on for thousands of years. now the way we fought them(with desease) was very dishonorable but there is nothing anyone can do about it now.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 06:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Send a message via AIM to unsung

Nope.

I have never owned a slave nor has anyone in my family. Nobody alive today was a slave during the Lincoln era.

Besides are we not a bit hypocritical when our biggest trade partner China has sweatshops where goods are made in similar conditions?

Reparations are nothing more than people looking for another free handout. If money were to be paid invest in education to make people productive and help them lead prosperous lives.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005

Quote:
koop - 10/19/2004 12:09 PM

Quote:
MRTIKKET - 10/19/2004 2:05 AM

I was just wondering what everyone's view of slavery reparations is. I have seen two different stances attributed to Sen. Kerry, and no commments by the President. I think that your answers will define you, as a person. To make myself clear, I am speaking specifically about the idea of paying a cash amount to all Black, U.S. citizens who can trace their ancestry to the slaves held by Americans, prior to Lincoln's freeing of them. This should be good!
Since my answer will "define me as a person" I think I will abstain and remain an enigma.
Resistence is futile. We already know who you are!

[:D]

to the issue, I think reparations would be good. I mean my ancestors were here before all ya'll bastages. We are Cherokee, now gimme back my country!

Okay, to reality. I think the interested parties should give it up. Giving reparations will no more give exoneration to the guilty, than it will truely enrich the victims. True advancement and enrichment comes from within the individual.

aborted Shop Forum member

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 10:26 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 10/19/2004 11:22 PM

Ok, now we're back on track here. This is the kind of "rubber meets the road" policy that most of us who DO believe in reparations are advocating. Reparations should be about establishing investment equity in the long-suffering infrastructures that serves Black and impoverished communities. The detractors often approach this topic as if it were a zero-sum proposition--"giving" to blacks means "taking" away from everyone else. That's complete nonsense. These much needed investments should return significant spillover benefits for all sectors of society. America as a whole suffers when large pockets our population are not able/allowed to rise to their full potential.
Eloquently said. Why can't more people see this?
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 10:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1989 300 TE

And to think we fought a war over it. I have to agree with those who say the debt has been paid. If a generation who was enslaved were still alive, or any of their direct children. I believe it would be correct for them to receive some kind of payment. Similar to what Germany is going to pay. Since I don't believe their are any living children of US slaves. I don't think there should be any.

That does not mean that I don't agree that we desperately need to increase the funding to education. I don't think it needs to completely be the govenrment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in