BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RE: Red Herring Alert!

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 10/19/2004 12:04 PM

...uh, reparations need not come in the form of "cash payouts". Simply creating a first class educational system that allows equal access to opportunties and advancement would constitute an appropriate mode of "reparations". In addition, eliminating the discriminatory practices in the financial, employment and housing industries would also go a long way toward achieving the goals embodied in the promise of Forty Acres and a Mule.
You know, if you study history, this is exactly how the Radical Republicans tried to approach the problem during Reconstruction. In 1872, in another election thrown into turmoil due to the electoral college, the Republicans made a deal to end this in return for Southern Democrat support in fixing the election of Hayes, the guy whyo actually lost. The result was Jim Crow laws that turned back the clock on blacks in the South and ended the educational reforms of the radicals. We would have had a much better world today if Reconstruction had been allowed to run its course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 96' W210 & 10' W212
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
RE: Slavery Reparations

OK, going out on a limb.

I think we have been paying reparations in the form of social services that help alot of black people. I don't mean to sound racist, in fact one of my best friends is black, but we pay for alot of our taxes for welfare, subsidized living, child credits, food stamps, health care for single mothers and the list goes on. I think we have been paying long enough and it's time they need wake up and deal with reality. I know there are lots of legitimate people that need these services but I am sure there is alot of abuse as well. We need to make it a crime for people that take advantage of the system.

Most foreigners that come to this country start from the bottom and with hard work they integrate with society. That's the American spirit. Why use race to justify everything? Please wake up people!

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 12:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

NO.

in political asylum
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: W163/R129/W124
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to GF-Benz

Quote:
kvining - 10/19/2004 8:26 AM

Very few people are in favor of this, even in the black communitiy.Its a waste of time to argue about it.
Wow! We agree!

Even if was a viable solution, what form of reparation would be suitable?

The slavery issue aside, I doubt that anyone who has suffered the deep emotional scars of racism, discrimination, religious persecution, sexual or violent beating abuse, social ridicule, etc. or was part of a long line of a generation that did so could feel atoned by any means.

99 W163, 95 R129, 93 W124
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: W163/R129/W124
Send a message via AIM to GF-Benz

Quote:
kvining - 10/19/2004 8:26 AM

Very few people are in favor of this, even in the black communitiy.Its a waste of time to argue about it.
Wow! We agree!

Even if was a viable solution, what form of reparation would be suitable?

The slavery issue aside, I doubt that anyone who has suffered the deep emotional scars of racism, discrimination, religious persecution, sexual or violent beating abuse, social ridicule, etc. or was part of a long line of a generation that did so could feel atoned by any means.

99 W163, 95 R129, 93 W124
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 03:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
OceanView - 10/19/2004 11:51 AM

OK, going out on a limb.

I think we have been paying reparations in the form of social services that help alot of black people. I don't mean to sound racist, in fact one of my best friends is black, but we pay for alot of our taxes for welfare, subsidized living, child credits, food stamps, health care for single mothers and the list goes on. I think we have been paying long enough and it's time they need wake up and deal with reality. I know there are lots of legitimate people that need these services but I am sure there is alot of abuse as well. We need to make it a crime for people that take advantage of the system.

Most foreigners that come to this country start from the bottom and with hard work they integrate with society. That's the American spirit. Why use race to justify everything? Please wake up people!

What a crock. Social services are for everyone, regardless of what color you are. You also make the assumption that the recipients of reparations are on welfare, or are poor or indigent. What are you trying to say here? I'm sorry, the "limb" you are going out on sounds like stupidity.

And BTW, before you get too wound up, I am not advocating reparations. Even if there were justification, the implementation would be a nightmare at best.

OBK #35

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

If we get reparations, I should get it for my ancestors for building the pyramids. We should tear them down because it offends me.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 81' 300SD, 82' 300D
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I believe if reparations were to be paid out for slavery, I believe the money should not go out to individuals, but to organizations that help the black community overall, and some money should go to improve education and educational facilities that are primarily black, and in deteriorating condition. IMO, it's greed that some community leaders are using as their basis to get reparation money, they think they'll be rich if the gov't pays them individually.
-Joe

1981 300SD DB881 ext./code #236 leather int. aka: thistle green ext./olive int.
1982 300D, DB877 ext./code #135 mb-tex int. aka: petrol green ext./creme int.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Total agreement from me. First place they should start is inner city Community Colleges, so we can teach more trade and applied science. At Houston Community College, tuition has risen 300%, meaning less and less inner city kids can afford to go - in other words, we are moving backwards, not forwards. We need to invest in these areas more.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Ok, now we're back on track here. This is the kind of "rubber meets the road" policy that most of us who DO believe in reparations are advocating. Reparations should be about establishing investment equity in the long-suffering infrastructures that serves Black and impoverished communities. The detractors often approach this topic as if it were a zero-sum proposition--"giving" to blacks means "taking" away from everyone else. That's complete nonsense. These much needed investments should return significant spillover benefits for all sectors of society. America as a whole suffers when large pockets our population are not able/allowed to rise to their full potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in