post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: '85 300TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Colorado and the electoral college

I saw a story about Colorado's ballot initiative this year that will allow the voters to decide whether the electoral votes of Colorado should be a winner take all deal or proportionally distributed amongst candidates by their votes.

Currently it is the winner take all (9). Under the new idea, it would probably go 4 - 4 with one swing delegate one way or another.

I know the theory behind the electoral college, but what do you think of awarding EC delegates based on the percentages of popular votes? Certainly it would change the system significantly... There are concerns that this change will decrease candidate access by making the prize less valuable... but what if everyone did it?

Interesting...

'85 300TD Pastel Beige
361,500 miles and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 02:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: Colorado and the electoral college

actually i think that's the way it was originaly...

in political asylum
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 03:07 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

you thought we had litigation last election, if this passes and the election is within 4/5 electorial votes, your going to see litigation like you've never seen before.

I'm voting for it, I think it's the right way to do it and the only argument I hear opposing is that presidential candidates will ignore colorado. I want them to ignore colorado. At best it means no more traffic jams when the candidates come to town, at worst, we don't feed at the public pork trough.

Every state should do it.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

That's a good point koop, and I'm voting for it too. But I also feel we need to have proportional representation in the presidential election. If other states can follow suit, it can be done without a national constitutional amendment. Of course, it may become necessary to amend the constitution eventually to guarantee the representation that the electoral college does not. At the very least, Colorado's initiative will further raise awareness of the issue.

OBK #35

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

A tough question with no easy answer. On the surface, splitting the electoral votes seems to be more fair. One can only imagine the lawyer feeding frenzy as political parties argues about fractions of populations regarding a swing delagate.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Pasion Coupe/Gray Metallic/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Solid Roof/Premium Sound/Fog Lights/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

I'm curious -- are there any notable groups opposed to this in Colorado?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
GermanStar - 10/19/2004 9:11 AM

Our near and dear governor Owens (Bush lap-dog) and the Colorado Republican party lead the opposition.

Quote:
But Owens opposes Amendment 36 for tactical and strategic reasons. "It's transparently obvious this is an attempt by activist Democrats to steal Colorado's electoral votes," he says.
In fact it is a non-partisan group interested in electoral reform funding the effort.

OBK #35

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Yes, I imagine both major parties would be alarmed at this development -- heaven forbid anything might happen to lessen their stranglehold on the political process. I guess I should have said "respectable" rather than "notable" when I posed the question. [;)]

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 11:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
old300D - 10/19/2004 10:01 AM

That's a good point koop, and I'm voting for it too. But I also feel we need to have proportional representation in the presidential election. If other states can follow suit, it can be done without a national constitutional amendment. Of course, it may become necessary to amend the constitution eventually to guarantee the representation that the electoral college does not. At the very least, Colorado's initiative will further raise awareness of the issue.
We don't need an amendment. We just need the Supreme Court to enforce the 14th and 15th Amendments, which guarantee we are all equal before the law. The Electoral College needs to conform to this principle, and all states need to be simply ordered by the Supreme Court to do so.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 11:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
GermanStar - 10/19/2004 11:11 AM

The Republican Party. Colorado is usually a pretty safe state for them. They are the ones actually giving up the Electoral votes. If they lose the election in the Electoral College and win the popular vote, you will see them attempt to overturn winner-take-all under the 14th Amendment argument I am putting forth here. If they lose the popular vote and lose the Electoral College by 1 vote, the most popular theory right now, they will litigate the other way, arguing all states should be winner-take-all. As koop mentioned, we have litigation and social unrest on the horizon like you cannot imagine. Who is President could be in doubt for months. Since the Republicans can use the five-vote SCOTUS majority it used to win Florida in 2000, they can decide the question either way, and we will have the first purely political decision by the Supreme Court since Dred Scott. This whole country could come unraveled.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in