What SINGLE issue/concern gets you most fired up about this presidential election? - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 06:57 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: '05 330i ZHP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: What SINGLE issue/concern gets you most fired up about this presidential election?

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that many people don't realize they are voting for a certain party because they like the candidate, they vote based on a brand loyalty belief. If this were 1860 I would vote Republican, because Lincoln would have been my candidate of choice, but today I would vote Kerry, because he seems to be the more intelligent of the two candidates, and it has yet to be proven that he would go off on a tangent and attack Iraq. Waht I'm trying to point out is that some voters simply vote for a certain party, as opposed to actually seriously thinking of what the candidates stand for, without realizing that both parties have good and bad candidates at various times.
Number two is the electoral college, that's just retarded. Enough said.
The third thing is that the Republicans are endorsing Nader so that he can take votes away from Kerry, which, although it is a brilliant idea, the point is not to disable your opponent, but to strengthen yourself. This also goes along with all the Bush bashers, while it's fine to point out he has made some bad calls, incessant criticism is not the best way of getting people to vote Kerry. I was never the best example, but i'm just impatient...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RE: What SINGLE issue/concern gets you most fired up about this presidential election?

600,000 men died for that amendment. It was the judgement of the survivors that "states rights" caused it all, and they were right. That's why whenever I see Libertarians or Conservatives wonder why the court never envokes the 10th Amendment, it is because the 14th and 15th repealed it. States are a lousy place to guarantee human rights. We have 220 years of history to prove it - slavery, Jim Crow, and finally homosexuals, all have suffered from it. The Electoral College is just another example. All men are created equal. Period.
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
E V12 Nerd - 10/17/2004 8:57 PM

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that many people don't realize they are voting for a certain party because they like the candidate, they vote based on a brand loyalty belief. If this were 1860 I would vote Republican, because Lincoln would have been my candidate of choice, but today I would vote Kerry, because he seems to be the more intelligent of the two candidates, and it has yet to be proven that he would go off on a tangent and attack Iraq. Waht I'm trying to point out is that some voters simply vote for a certain party, as opposed to actually seriously thinking of what the candidates stand for, without realizing that both parties have good and bad candidates at various times.
Number two is the electoral college, that's just retarded. Enough said.
The third thing is that the Republicans are endorsing Nader so that he can take votes away from Kerry, which, although it is a brilliant idea, the point is not to disable your opponent, but to strengthen yourself. This also goes along with all the Bush bashers, while it's fine to point out he has made some bad calls, incessant criticism is not the best way of getting people to vote Kerry. I was never the best example, but i'm just impatient...
Golly, if I could use hindsight for all my voting decisions, I'd never have a problem considering whom to vote for.

The war in Iraq was good and necessary. Enough said.
post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 07:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
kvining - 10/17/2004 9:00 PM

600,000 men died for that amendment. It was the judgement of the survivors that "states rights" caused it all, and they were right. That's why whenever I see Libertarians or Conservatives wonder why the court never envokes the 10th Amendment, it is because the 14th and 15th repealed it. States are a lousy place to guarantee human rights. We have 220 years of history to prove it - slavery, Jim Crow, and finally homosexuals, all have suffered from it. The Electoral College is just another example. All men are created equal. Period.
No, it isn't repealed, dude. Go read the dang thing. Its just that Number 10 doesn't fit with the model of federalism we have today. But if I can just get enough strict constructionists into Congress and on the bench, ol' number 10 is just waiting to be rediscovered like a rich vein of gold in hard rock.
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 07:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Keep hoping. The 14th pretty much says the feds get to decide what states rights are. Prior to it, it was the other way around. Also prior to the 14th, a person was a citizen of his state, and their was no concept of federal citizenship unless one was abroad. After the 14th, we are all defined as citizens of the US, and residents of a particular state.
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 07:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

yeah. But 10 is still there, lurking....waiting for the right moment then I'll see your 14th shot in the a$$!
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 07:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

An interesting side note to the 14th is this section:

Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

If I was an enterprising conservative, I would research what was used to judge how Conferates qualified for being excluded from office. Could be the basis for some major embarassing harrassment lawsuits against Kerry if he is elected, given that his post Nam activities have been characterized by those on the right as Aid and Comfort to the Enemey.

post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 07:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
kvining - 10/17/2004 9:40 PM

An interesting side note to the 14th is this section:

Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

If I was an enterprising conservative, I would research what was used to judge how Conferates qualified for being excluded from office. Could be the basis for some major embarassing harrassment lawsuits against Kerry if he is elected, given that his post Nam activities have been characterized by those on the right as Aid and Comfort to the Enemey.
I heard somebody yesterday say that some late-night AM radio talkshow discussed it. In other words, foil-hat.

It comes within the same argument line argued by some anti-14th folks who say it was improperly ratified. Theri argument is somethin glike this: The former states of the confederacy didn't have constitutionally elected legislatures nor Congressmen and so....

Even assuming all of that is perfectly true and the 14th is factually illegit, nothing is going to take it off the books short of another amendment to repeal it. It is thoroughly engrained in our gov and no smarty-pants lawyering is gonna undo that. The only hope for weakening it will come from rediscovery of the 10th.
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 08:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

No doubt it is foil hat, but that doen't mean it can't be litigated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in