LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Happy Days are Here Agulp

Hate to bring up any gloom, but I’m wondering how many folks have floating rate mortgages? We’re at the beginning of a huge move in energy – the Merc will raise margins Monday that should break the market some, and wash out a lot of specs, but there is really no top to this thing until consumption declines dramatically – and that will more than slow business. Connect the dots below and what happens?

1--Nearly three-quarters of stockholders hold less than $5,000 worth, including stock in retirement plans and mutual funds.

2--Financial assets like stocks and bonds remain concentrated in relatively few hands, with the richest 10% of the population owning 88% of stocks and 90% of bonds. Even among the top 10%, wealth is highly concentrated. A mere 1% of households, each with at least $2.4 million in net worth (assets minus debts), now own 40% of the nation's wealth, twice the share they claimed two decades ago. The personal wealth of Bill Gates alone exceeds the combined holdings of 40% of the U.S. population.

3--Households are borrowing heavily to make up for stagnant wages. The U.S. savings rate - the percentage of personal income not spent each year - is less than zero, meaning that the typical U.S. household spends more than it earns. Debt service now eats up 17% of consumer income, a heavy and potentially insupportable burden. As a result, nearly one in five households has negative net worth,

** Resources: Chuck Collins, Holly Sklar and Betsy Leondar-Wright, Shifting Fortunes: The Perils of the American Wealth Gap. From 1999 – dated, but essentially correct

So - how much will I have to pay for that old WVO?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2002
RE: Happy Days are Here Agulp

I'm on a 5/1 arm, having bought earlier this year.

I'm considering re-financing to get a fixed rate, as I don't see the rates going down anytime soon.

"Nearly three-quarters of stockholders hold less than $5,000 worth, including stock in retirement plans and mutual funds."

That's not a good situation! But it doesn't surprise me, given the society we live in.

1995 E-320, 163*** miles
1987 190-E 16-valve, 150*** miles

1980 300-D, approx. 225*** miles, donated to the National Kidney Foundation.
1980 240-D, 297500 miles, totalled when hit by innatentive driver. Missed dearly.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
RE: Happy Days are Here Agulp

I refinanced earlier this year with a ARM. But the rate is not based on the prime, rather it's based on the COFI (cost of funds index), or what banks pay on savings accounts. This rate has historically moved much slower than the prime, and it's quite low right now - 4.25%.

OBK #35

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: