how was the kool aid?
must have had some of that hydro acid in it! [:0][}:)]

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 02:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
RE: Good one, Ann...

Quote:
danwatt - 10/14/2004 4:36 PM

If there is one person I wouldn't mind stabbing in the face repeatedly, it would be Ann Coulter.

LOL! Made me laugh with that one.

"Wouldn't mind..." [:p][:D]
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 03:58 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1982 300SD
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Amazing, ( with the exception of KV) every criticism of Ann is simply ad hominum. Don't you guys THINK? Can't you refute her arguments. This is very typical of the Left in this country. Its a shame we can't have an exchange of ideas, and a debate on issues.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 06:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
kerry edwards - 10/14/2004 9:20 PM

Ivins' 'Bushwacked' is a good read on Bush's pre-presidential career. I thought Kerry could have used some vignettes from it. The company Bush founded went into bankruptcy shortly after he sold it. Could be a fruitful analogy for Bush's concept of fiscal responsibility and the future of the US.
The new capitalism: A sold business fails in the hands of new owners and its the fault of the seller.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
LK ONE - 10/14/2004 11:02 PM

Quote:
danwatt - 10/14/2004 4:36 PM

If there is one person I wouldn't mind stabbing in the face repeatedly, it would be Ann Coulter.
Acid would work better and take away the only reason anybody even lets her on TV.
That is a hideous thing to say. Do you mean that? What does it reveal about you?
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 08:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
MS Fowler - 10/15/2004 3:58 AM

Amazing, ( with the exception of KV) every criticism of Ann is simply ad hominum. Don't you guys THINK? Can't you refute her arguments. This is very typical of the Left in this country. Its a shame we can't have an exchange of ideas, and a debate on issues.
KVs comments completely shot down all of her arguments. Ann is one of the most vicious partisan elements in the media, and deserves most of the criticism that comes her way. Just try to defend what she says.

OBK #35

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I am amazed how far she is able to take it. Its a freshman level debating technique known as the "straw man". You create a scarecrow of your enemy made out of distortions and then knock him down based on those distortions. I can see why she never made it as a lawyer, given that one-tool toolbox she carries around - her adversaries in court must have made mincemeant out of her.

To me, she exemplifies the total loss of intellectual argument on the right. With the exception of a few, like Jonah Goldberg and Krauthammer, the entire right wing has adopted this technique as their intellectual base becomes those great philosophical minds on the talk-radio and rightwing "I hate liberals" book circuit. Sadly, chief among them is Bush - listen to his speeches (if you can bear it) and you will find that throughout the election they were nothing more than 30 minutes of screeching about Kerry, filled with Coulter-like straw man distortions of his statements and voting record. Same with Cheney.

I read a very good article last night in which the author said that in the end, this mode of attack was a huge tactical error on the Bush team's part. They filled the airwaves with what was essentially a caricature of Kerry, and when he stepped up to the podium in the debates and people saw the real man instead of the straw man the Republican attack machine created, two hundred million in Republican ad money went up in smoke. People's expectations of Kerry had been so lowered by months of vicious Swift Boat smear and months of "flipper flopper" attacks, silly photos of Kerry in a bunny suit, constant accusations of a man who was undistinguished in the Senate and was Kennedy's stooge, that most people expected to see an utter nincompoop on the stage. When Bush actually looked more like a caricature in his debate performance and Kerry appeared statesman-like and presidential, the wheels came off the entire Bush campaign.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
kvining - 10/15/2004 11:42 AM

I am amazed how far she is able to take it. Its a freshman level debating technique known as the "straw man". You create a scarecrow of your enemy made out of distortions and then knock him down based on those distortions. I can see why she never made it as a lawyer, given that one-tool toolbox she carries around - her adversaries in court must have made mincemeant out of her.

To me, she exemplifies the total loss of intellectual argument on the right. With the exception of a few, like Jonah Goldberg and Krauthammer, the entire right wing has adopted this technique as their intellectual base becomes those great philosophical minds on the talk-radio and rightwing "I hate liberals" book circuit. Sadly, chief among them is Bush - listen to his speeches (if you can bear it) and you will find that throughout the election they were nothing more than 30 minutes of screeching about Kerry, filled with Coulter-like straw man distortions of his statements and voting record. Same with Cheney.

I read a very good article last night in which the author said that in the end, this mode of attack was a huge tactical error on the Bush team's part. They filled the airwaves with what was essentially a caricature of Kerry, and when he stepped up to the podium in the debates and people saw the real man instead of the straw man the Republican attack machine created, two hundred million in Republican ad money went up in smoke. People's expectations of Kerry had been so lowered by months of vicious Swift Boat smear and months of "flipper flopper" attacks, silly photos of Kerry in a bunny suit, constant accusations of a man who was undistinguished in the Senate and was Kennedy's stooge, that most people expected to see an utter nincompoop on the stage. When Bush actually looked more like a caricature in his debate performance and Kerry appeared statesman-like and presidential, the wheels came off the entire Bush campaign.
you are the expert.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 10:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004

Ann Coulter is absolutely brilliant. I have reads her books and enjoy watching and listening to her. I wish she'd run for elected office,

Actually, she'd be great in the White House.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 10:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

MRTIKKET,

Wow.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in