American politics - does anyone outside the USA give a sh*t! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
American politics - does anyone outside the USA give a sh*t!

Thanks[:(] to virtual instant global news, the whole world is being sucked in and I for one am sick to death of all the bullsh*t about whether Kerry or Bush will win .I don't give a rats arse who gets in. The whole US political situation is like another planet to my daily reality.I feel that China will soon be the driving force in the world anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 03:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
RE: American politics - does anyone outside the USA give a sh*t!

Quote:
shrimpton - 10/13/2004 4:14 AM

Thanks[:(] to virtual instant global news, the whole world is being sucked in and I for one am sick to death of all the bullsh*t about whether Kerry or Bush will win .I don't give a rats arse who gets in. The whole US political situation is like another planet to my daily reality.I feel that China will soon be the driving force in the world anyway.
Well, it is good for us to hear what you "outsiders" think. In your case, the fact that you see the United States being replaced by China soon is great feedback. If anyone is listening. It is not in our best interest to have China replace us as the driving force in the world, and unless you and other "outsiders" feel the same way there is not much we Americans can really do about it. Voting for George Bush is a sure way to accelerate the demise of American influence in the world and let another country, China for example, step up and fill the void we left.

In reality, while you don't get a vote per se, hearing how the rest of the world feels about America's role is important. Once our political events are no longer big news all over the world we will have transitioned to a role that is less global and more regional. It may sound like more propaganda but some Americans genuinely believe the world has directly benefitted much more from the role America has played over the last 50 years than America has. I happen to be one of those people. I also think many "outsiders" such as yourself have come to the same conclusion and are worried America is becoming more "ordinary" or self centered in terms of its relationship with the rest of the world. This would not be all that inaccurate, although it is my hope this is really only a temporary reaction to 9/11 being compounded by the utter incompetence of George W. Bush in an international forum. Many of these "outsiders" are worried the void that will be left by America will be filled by a much less generous country far less devoted to the betterment of the world in general and the principles embodied in our Constitution. That, an essentially self centered view by the "outsiders" of how the world will change if America fades from its role of the past 50 plus years, is the basis of the interest, world-wide, in the politics of the USA.

So, any expression of interest or a lack thereof is a message you send to us. Hopefully we are trying to hear what you are saying. Jim
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 04:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I live in the USA and I don't give a rats a$$ either. So there!

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003

Perhaps, instead of venting your anger/frustration at us, you would be better served by directing it at your providers of news. I somehow doubt the U.S. government stays up at night wondering how to make the news in New Zealand. As with any other type of service, if you don't like it, switch. Change the channel on your TV, the station on your radio, or buy a different newspaper. You can "vote" your displeasure with your wallet or viewing/listening habits.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Pasion Coupe/Gray Metallic/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Solid Roof/Premium Sound/Fog Lights/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 07:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Being stacked right on top of the US, and with 80% of our trade crossing the 49th, we in Canada are watching closely. Typically, Dems have been better for Canada, but Kerry might be the exception. But, it might force us to rediversify our trading base, which would be a good thing.

Middle eastern nations are probably watching pretty closely too...[:0]

I'm really trying to see things from your perspective, but I'm having trouble getting my head up my ass
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 08:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i find it rather ironic that you're tired of american poitics but then you start a thread about it. you could have just vented in any number of political threads here. are you itching to speak chinese? you may want to give a rodent's rear because this election will effect you weather you want it to or not...

in political asylum
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 09:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You live in an American Client State. We control your economy, and rule you with trade agreements. Don't get out of line.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004

In my experience the World gives a big sh!t.

I just got back from my honeymoon in Kenya and the Seychelles. Rarely did I not get asked about the presidential election, what my feelings were on it as well as 9-11. The Kenyans appear to be very informed about the political situation here and my divemaster in the Seychelles got a TV installed in his car so he can keep an eye on CNN in order to see whats happening.
The Dutch, Brits, Swiss, Italians etc. all seemed to have an interest in what is going on here and all seem pretty concerned.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 10:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
wbain - 10/13/2004 6:07 AM

I live in the USA and I don't give a rats a$$ either. So there!
Pick of the litter, wbain!
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '84 SD

Quote:
blackmercedes - 10/13/2004 6:55 AM

Being stacked right on top of the US, and with 80% of our trade crossing the 49th, we in Canada are watching closely.
Being involved with MBCanada.com has made me aware that yes, Canada cares alot. They even watch the debates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in