post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: El Rushbo going to El Slammer ?

The legal issue at hand was not the statute, heck, he hasn't even been charged yet. The issue he litigated was whether a person can claim a right of privacy to shield one's medical records from a lawful subpeona and whether prior consent had to be obtained before a search warrant could be executed to search a doctor's office for medical records. These were ludicrous assertions.

Mr. Limbaugh put himself in this position - he broke the law, and now the law has a right to not only prosecute whatever violation it wishes, it has the right to investigate other possible violations as well. As far as your points on that particular law, we don't get to choose what law-breaking we are prosecuted for. Prosecutors do. Judges and juries get to decide those issues, not talk show audiences. If the prosecution is bogus as you claim, his multi-million dollar fee lawyers will have every opportunity to litigate it. Unfortunately, they won't get very far with that either - the law is the law and no matter how arcane it is, if it is valid and a prosecutor wants to prosecute, he has every right, especially if the person under suspicion has been uncooperative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 12:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1986 300SDL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
MS Fowler - 10/10/2004 4:50 AM

Lets see, How many times has Florida proscecuted anyone under this statute, especially after they publicly admitted, and went thru rehab?
Looks like a simple political witch hunt.
I thought liberals defended people's rights in cases like this. You all are showing yourselves to be people who like to use the power of government to silience people with whom you disagree. What a fine liberal idea. Free speech for our side only. Hypocrits.
OK, I'm a hypocrite for gleefully watching Rush getting hoisted by his own petard. I would also be willing to bet that 99.9% of the people that might be prosecuted under the statute have never publicly called for the harshest penalties for crimes which they themselves have committed.
Public hypocrites like Rush should be held to a higher standard, like the police, for crimes they know better then to commit.
He himself has had no sympathy for anyone else in his position, if anyone deserves NO breaks, it's him.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

I really don't see why someone who uses the airwaves to incite and inflame for a living should be held to a higher standard -- god help Howard Stern if that were the case. I think you just want him held to his own standard...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 01:00 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1982 300SD

Call me a true liberal if you wish, but I get REAL nervous when a proscecutor uses the power of his office to proscecute someone who is a high profile person on the "other" side, politically. It may not be a free speech case in the technical sense, but if he were not effective in his role as a talk show host, ( against the ruling democrats in FL) no one would even think about proscecuting him.
I would feel exactly the same if this were a case against Carvel, or even Michael Moore!
I'm of the old school, " I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 01:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1986 300SDL

Quote:
MS Fowler - 10/10/2004 3:00 PM

Call me a true liberal if you wish, but I get REAL nervous when a proscecutor uses the power of his office to proscecute someone who is a high profile person on the "other" side, politically. It may not be a free speech case in the technical sense, but if he were not effective in his role as a talk show host, ( against the ruling democrats in FL) no one would even think about proscecuting him.
I would feel exactly the same if this were a case against Carvel, or even Michael Moore!
I'm of the old school, " I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Carvel? Tom Carvel of ice cream, Fudgy the Whale fame? Didn't realize he was into the OXY. J/K
The case isn't about free speech, which I also support, it's about illegal drug abuse. How many people have been put away for breaking into a drug store and stealing Oxycontin? Plenty. What Rush did is no different and by paying big bucks for his drugs he was actually encouraging the criminals to illegally obtain the drugs. Watching him squirm is just a bonus[:D]
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
MS Fowler - 10/10/2004 3:00 PM

I take the view that respect for the law is diminished if the man is not prosecuted, and because Ashcroft did not act, this prosecutor should be commended for doing so. The whole case really smells of injustice, but not to Limbaugh. I don't know if you are familiar with Tommy Chong, a guy on the "other side" who was literally hounded into federal prison by Assholecroft himself, and in his case they used an arcane law nobody ever gets prosecuted for, and it didn't even involve actual drugs! Limbaugh on the other hand, gets to do a Jimmy Swaggart "I have sinned" act and gets to walk, even though he was dealing big quantities of drugs across state lines. He's not even investigated, the case is never brought before a federal grand jury, nothing - and the reason is damn plain to see - if Limbaugh goes down on the Federal rap, no matter what sob story he has, he has got to do harsh time due to the idiotic draconian mandatory drugs laws passed as he screamed into a microphone in the late 80's. Instead, he's getting a pass because he is the Republican Minister of Propaganda. The whole deal stinks like rotten fish. Its easy to see that this prosecutor in Florida is simply following the example set by Ashcroft in the Chong case.

I also think that Limbaugh's use of his radio show to attempt to intimidate and influence the prosecutor in this case is another reason he needs to go down. I think it is obstruction of justice. What's the future going to look like - criminals having ad wars in the media? That arrogant SOB has put himself above the law because he thinks he is. Justice is best served showing everyone just what your going to get if you think that way.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Here's what real injustice looks like:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,97073,00.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in