Very odd poll results, reaction to Cheney's performance - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 06:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 89 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Very odd poll results, reaction to Cheney's performance

I thought that Cheney was poised, knowledgeable, skillfull, these-are-the-facts and here's our plan. Silky Pony was in more of the Jimmy Carter "Just trust us" category.

"The above post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Cap'n Carageous nor this forum. It may be presented as an attempt at humor or as a quote or paraphrase from another author. Any feelings hurt by this post are the responsibility of the reader. No animals were harmed in the making of this post." Member F.D.I.C. Tax tag and title extra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Botnst - 10/6/2004 6:34 PM

Polls are done by resampling stats. You poll a small number and through various arcane randomization and resampling methods, accumulate results until you reach some stopping criterion.

Because of the small pool of original samples, anything that affects the assumptions when sampling may have a significant effect on the results.

For example, when comparing various polls its a good idea to check whether the sample pool is of anybody who answers the phone, voting-aged people who answer the phone, people who have voted previously in a presidential election, etc.

Botsnst, you may or may not of heard of the newer Futures Market based polling that now rivals the older statistical methods. It is being used in corporations and think tanks as well, as a predictor of all types situations other than political. It may be even seeing some use in government agencies:

http://www.zogby.com/Soundbites/ReadClips.dbm?ID=9747

http://www.biz.uiowa.edu/iem/
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 06:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
Cap n Carageous - 10/6/2004 6:08 PM

I thought that Cheney was poised, knowledgeable, skillfull, these-are-the-facts and here's our plan. Silky Pony was in more of the Jimmy Carter "Just trust us" category.
While I agree with your characterization of Cheney, it's him that is peddling the "just trust us" crap. He keeps linking Saddam with Bin Ladin, and then denying it. He maintains the attitude that "Father knows best", and you (the public) will be informed on a "need-to-know" basis.

OBK #35

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Master of Puppets:

MASTER! MASTER! TELLING ONLY LIES

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 08:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1986 300SDL

Quote:
kvining - 10/6/2004 2:25 PM

The polls are showing partisans selected the winner as would be expected, but everyone is being surprised by the fact that "undecided" groups are scoring Edwards the winner. I didn't expect that, and am left scratching my head as to why, given Cheney's decent performance. Any ideas?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/06/debate.main/index.html
My response to Kirk starts here: $^%##^%^computers!!

I think Edwards held his own, didn't make any major gaffes and scored some points with the undecided middle class moms by pointing out that Cheney voted against Headstart. Plus Edwards is clearly prettier then Cheney in this popularity contest. It's about time the whole "likeable" factor bullshit broke in our favor.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 09:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1989 420sel

Quote:
kvining - 10/6/2004 4:23 PM

The Houston paper is absolutely, positively bizarre today. They have one article that reports on the CIA saying there was no Saddam-al-Queda link, next an article with Cheney claiming that there was, next to an article in which Rumsfeld was claiming no al-Queda link yesterday, but now today he says that he really meant there was one, next to an article where Paul Bremer was saying yesterday there were not enough troops in Iraq but was now saying today that he really meant that there were, next to an article where Bush's spokesman McClennen was saying that Bremer's opinion didn't matter, containing quotes from the past when McClennen said they did. How can you Republicans support this bunch?
Must be osmosis - from the Kerry / Hillary (2008) machine...

91 BMW 325i Cabrio - "Tasha"
89 MB 420sel - "Helga"
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 06:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 10/6/2004 8:18 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 10/6/2004 6:34 PM

Polls are done by resampling stats. You poll a small number and through various arcane randomization and resampling methods, accumulate results until you reach some stopping criterion.

Because of the small pool of original samples, anything that affects the assumptions when sampling may have a significant effect on the results.

For example, when comparing various polls its a good idea to check whether the sample pool is of anybody who answers the phone, voting-aged people who answer the phone, people who have voted previously in a presidential election, etc.

Botsnst, you may or may not of heard of the newer Futures Market based polling that now rivals the older statistical methods. It is being used in corporations and think tanks as well, as a predictor of all types situations other than political. It may be even seeing some use in government agencies:

http://www.zogby.com/Soundbites/ReadClips.dbm?ID=9747

http://www.biz.uiowa.edu/iem/
I read through the U Iowa site. The description reminded me of Adm Poindexter's futures market for terrorism (wasn't that it?). I never did understand what the brouhaha was. Looked like legit research for DARPA.

Now Poindexter's other thing (if I understood it correctly), gathering a massive database on personal transactions to look for aberrent spending patterns, that one gave me the willies. He needed to go for not realizing how massive a bad idea that was.

Hire a smart person who thinks way outside of the box and you'll get some strange things. How strange do citizens want the DoD to get?

B
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 07:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

I watched the debate, well, some of it, kinda of like the inability not to stare at a hideous car wreck.

Cheney seems to me nothing more than an arrogant member of the rich-class and sees the government as nothing less than his and his alone. His agenda seems nothing more than self serving and his approval of "everything Halliburton" shows that he is not unbiased in the least.

Edwards struck me as someone just DYING to sit in the President's seat. The VP position to him is nothing less than the step to the real prize. I got no sense of public servitude. It seems this is just the next step in a new(ish) political career.

Truthfully, if I voting, neither of these guys would get my vote. Are there any candidates interested in the US people and the societal problems facing tens of millions of people?

I'm really trying to see things from your perspective, but I'm having trouble getting my head up my ass
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
blackmercedes - 10/7/2004 6:25 AM

Are there any candidates interested in the US people and the societal problems facing tens of millions of people?
Quite possibly, and they're likely to garner hundreds of votes...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 12:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Tens, if not hundreds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in