BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: W126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Courtesey Of Mr. Kunstler's Website

October 4, 2004
Speaking as a registered Democrat, I propose that a big reason John Kerry's campaign has been floundering for months has to do with the delusional thinking among rank-and-file grassroots Democrats. I'm thinking especially of my fellow fifty-something fellow hippies-turned-yuppies, who want to enjoy all the luxuries and conveniences of the cheap oil life, but believe like little children that it can continue without any sacrifices.
There's just such a couple who live a few blocks away from me. In their front yard stands a blue sign that proclaims "War is not the Answer." They have two SUV's in their driveway. Somebody really needs to inform that war is the answer if they want to enjoy a life of low-gas-milage-easy-motoring.
This is perhaps a roundabout way of getting to the point that our military presence in Iraq is really not optional. We're not there because George W. Bush is trying to prove his virility. We're there for a couple of extremely serious and specific strategic reasons having to do with our sick dependency relationship with the nations of the Middle East: 1.) to modify the behavior of Iran and Saudi Arabia by maintaining a military presence next door to each of them; 2.) to operate a "police station" in the center of an inflamed Islamic world that stretches from Morocco to Indonesia so that it cannot present a geographically monolithic threat to the West. Obviously, the underlying reason for all this is a desperate attempt to secure the terrain where so much of our imported oil comes from.
When I hear John Kerry and my fellow Democrats start talking about modifying our own behavior in the US in order to reduce our sick dependency on these other nations, then I'll take Mr. Kerry seriously. But, you know, in the past six months John Kerry hasn't said a fucking word about rebuilding our national passenger railroad system (a system that the Bulgarians would be ashamed of, by the way), or stopping subsidies for suburban sprawl, or paying for our sick dependency by instituting a gasoline tax, or telling the American public that we have to make substantial modifications in our way of life. A couple of months ago in California, in fact, Kerry remarked that people should buy SUVs because it was good for the economy (!).
I'm also sick of hearing the fatuous argument that the Bushites lied about Weapons of Mass Destruction. The truth is that we didn't know what was in Iraq, really, and the UN weapons inspectors were prevented by Mr. Saddam Hussein from searching inside the extensive bunkers that German engineers had designed and built for him, and which he labled "presidential palaces" in order to keep out the UN inspectors. These represented hundreds of thousands of square feet of deep, secure, underground storage facilities with enough room for all kinds of dangerous stuff ranging from fissionable metals to stocks of viruses and bacteria, to tactical poisons. We simply had to get in there and look. The fact that nothing was found does not negate the initial necessity of looking. It was only one of the possible outcomes.
The final delusion is the idea that the other nations of the world would help us out in the Middle East if only we hadn't been so pushy and insistent about it. By this we generally mean France and Germany. The truth is, they would not have joined a coalition against Saddam Hussein under any circumstances, because a.) Saddam was into them for a lot of money, b.) they didn't want to get their hands dirty, c.) they didn't want to help pay for the operations, and d.) they stood to benefit if the US weakened itself by engaging militarily in the Middle East (while France and Germany benefited as well from uninterrupted Middle East oil supplies). In short, these nations behaved like craven chickenshits.
So, I'm sorry. I just don't buy John Kerry's line of bullshit. I still may have to hold my nose and vote for him, but I don't believe a word he says, and I'm ashamed of my generation's reasoning abilities. We were the best-educated generation in world history on a broad basis, and we learned nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
RE: Courtesey Of Mr. Kunstler's Website

Quote:
Usual Suspect - 10/5/2004 5:43 PM

I'm also sick of hearing the fatuous argument that the Bushites lied about Weapons of Mass Destruction. The truth is that we didn't know what was in Iraq, really, and the UN weapons inspectors were prevented by Mr. Saddam Hussein from searching inside the extensive bunkers that German engineers had designed and built for him, and which he labled "presidential palaces" in order to keep out the UN inspectors. These represented hundreds of thousands of square feet of deep, secure, underground storage facilities with enough room for all kinds of dangerous stuff ranging from fissionable metals to stocks of viruses and bacteria, to tactical poisons. We simply had to get in there and look. The fact that nothing was found does not negate the initial necessity of looking. It was only one of the possible outcomes.
I see -- so if in doubt, invade. The logical conclusion of that philosophy would be to invade each and every nation on the planet, including our own.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

...I've always had a mountain of doubt about Iceland. I'm extremely worried about their dangerous stockpiles of geothermal reserves, which represent a grave and gathering threat We can't allow the smoking gun be a steam cloud--let's roll!
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Typical reactions from the knee jerk (with emphasis on jerk) left.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 10/5/2004 6:37 PM

...I've always had a mountain of doubt about Iceland. I'm extremely worried about their dangerous stockpiles of geothermal reserves, which represent a grave and gathering threat We can't allow the smoking gun be a steam cloud--let's roll!
Yes, a steam cloud filled with ash which they have reputedly diverted via advanced geothermal technology to your very doorstep in Washington state. Where is homeland security during this blatant aggression?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Usual Suspect - 10/5/2004 6:45 PM

Typical reactions from the knee jerk (with emphasis on jerk) left.
Superb defense sir. I stand both humbled and enlightened.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 10/5/2004 9:37 PM

Why?
Please tell me why you have doubt about Iceland.
Did they ignore UN sanctions?
Has Iceland been shooting at US planes patroling
a UN sanctioned no-fly zone?
Has Iceland been involed in siphoning off money
in a food for geothermal energy program?
What on earth could possibly make you think that
an invasion of Iceland is a logical outcome
of Mr. kunstlers viewpoint.

Or, is it just easier for you to belittle his viewpoint than admit that he's right.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Kunstler? What's the next thread ? Twiggy's opinion? This is a regular Rowan and Martin Laugh-In. Sock it to me.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 09:31 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: Courtesy Of Mr. Kunstler's Website

R-E-Y-K-J-A-V-I-K can you think of a more ominous and threatening world capitol?

Good gawd, look at this graph. Doesn't this disturbing trend scare bejeezus out of you folks?

Increase in production of hot water from
1943 - 1990

These arial photos clearly reveal a geothermal complex capable of producing aluminum tubes, yellow cakes and blonde nordic supermodels.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
kvining - 10/5/2004 11:24 PM

Kunstler? What's the next thread ? Twiggy's opinion? This is a regular Rowan and Martin Laugh-In. Sock it to me.
Better Rowan & Martin than democrat.com, which is where
you get your marching orders. You know if you had more than 1/2 an ounce of brains, which you don't, you'd relize that he is infact arguing your point. That it was a war for oil along. Don't want war for oil you hypocrite, get out of your f&^%#*g car and walk, turn off the all the air-conditioning in that sweltering shithole you live in. Don't want war for oil? then back it up with some action you hypocrite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in