New Poll on Presidential Race - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 09:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: New Poll on Presidential Race

Isn't the next presidential debate going to be in the "town hall" style? If so, I think Bush has a big advantage. He's much better off the cuff.

Current:
1995 E-320, 163*** miles
1987 190-E 16-valve, 150*** miles

Former:
1980 300-D, approx. 225*** miles, donated to the National Kidney Foundation.
1980 240-D, 297500 miles, totalled when hit by innatentive driver. Missed dearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Is he? We'll see I suppose. To me, he seems to have trouble communicating anything other than simple ideas in short sentences -- I would think the town hall format would lead to twice the stuttering, hemming and hawing he demonstrated in the first debate. I do know this -- after the whipping Bush took, his team will develop a strong strategy to bring Kerry down. I think Kerry needs to be much more aggressive toward Bush if he expects the same result as the first debate.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
98MBE320 - 10/3/2004 7:42 PM

For the last few weeks now, I've watched, anybody that says something that's anything along the lines of being in favor of Bush or the Republican Party and they're toasted -- many times in a very mean-spirited way. There’s no such thing as a fair discussion here.
I do believe it's prerequisite to understand and respect other's opinions if you hope to learn or to influence them. You won't be heard if you set others back on their heels.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 10:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
98MBE320 - 10/3/2004 10:42 PM

"Discussion"?? Give me a break.

No Republican can so much as break wind on this site without being attacked. Why waste my time? Believe me, it's a one party party around here.

I just enjoy yanking your chains and watching 3 or 4 of you (with the exception of GermanStar -- who seems to be the most level-headed out of all of you) get all bent out of shape about things that are contrary to your opinion.

There's no discussion here, it's more like being ambushed and a person comes away feeling like they're dirt for having said something opposite to your political philosophies.

For the last few weeks now, I've watched, anybody that says something that's anything along the lines of being in favor of Bush or the Republican Party and they're toasted -- many times in a very mean-spirited way. There’s no such thing as a fair discussion here.

Why do I check-in to this site from time to time? Because this place is cheap entertainment for me -- and others who share my opinion here about this. Whether it's politics, religion, or sex, somehow a few of you think you know it all and I promise you, you don't know it all.

So, go ahead, jump all over what I just said – I’m sure you will.
While I disagree with most of what you have posted, I agree there is a tendency to squash an opposing view before listening to it, and that drives people away. I like to engage in a discussion and sometimes that requires an opposing view to be meaningful.

On the other hand I have not found many of the opposing views coherent. Tagging Kerry with some derogatory French label is not valuable from an opposing view assessment. Neither are repeating TV's conservative group's sound bite of the day. I look for a reason the person posting believes in Bush, or the policy. Or why they don't suspect Bush is lying about things that have happened. Or why it is ok to stop holding Bush accountable for the WMD argument falling apart and suddenly find freeing the Iraqi people an acceptable reason. And this while there is still a Congressional Resolution in place that specifically denies the President (any President, as this was passed by Congress when Clinton was President) the necessary authority to invade Iraq for regime change.

I look for why Bush is acceptable from his supporters. I am still looking. None of Bush's decisions have been correct, yet he is still supported. I think much of his support comes from the fact that he and his political machine spend inordinate amounts of time lowering America's expectations. Whenever Bush has a serious character or skill set flaw, it is addressed by downplaying the benefit of such skills or character features. For example, diplomacy is a very weak point for Bush. So, it is handled not by "outsourcing" this need to another member of the administration. It is handled by putting a black hat on anything that can be accomplished by diplomacy, or in international bodies. Like the UN, for example. Because Bush can't lead anyone in the UN to drink water when they are thirsty, getting anything done in the UN is portrayed as requiring an abdication of the President's authority to defend the country, and we all know that is not worth it. So it is not Bush's fault or failure that he has lost the world's respect, it is that diplomacy is just a worthless endeavor.

Anyway, rather than squash everyone trying to make an opposing view point known, we should reserve that treatment for people who are not actually trying to tell us something meaningful. Like the trolls. Jim
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 10:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
98MBE320 - 10/3/2004 10:42 PM

"Discussion"?? Give me a break.

No Republican can so much as break wind on this site without being attacked. Why waste my time? Believe me, it's a one party party around here.

I just enjoy yanking your chains and watching 3 or 4 of you (with the exception of GermanStar -- who seems to be the most level-headed out of all of you) get all bent out of shape about things that are contrary to your opinion.

There's no discussion here, it's more like being ambushed and a person comes away feeling like they're dirt for having said something opposite to your political philosophies.

Why do I check-in to this site from time to time? Because this place is cheap entertainment for me -- and others who share my opinion here about this. Whether it's politics, religion, or sex, somehow a few of you think you know it all and I promise you, you don't know it all.

So, go ahead, jump all over what I just said – I’m sure you will.
I looked over my response and I didn't see anything testy or belligerent, I simply disagreed with you. I think everyone must realize that as we close on election day, feelings are going to be getting a little raw. We have our disagreements and counterpoints sharpened down to the finest point at this stage of the election. We all must accept that for the next few weeks, but I myself think for the most part those on this forum all mean well. I certainly didn't intend to flame you in anyway, but I bet we could all use the admonishment to cool it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in