LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bush: No Homeland Security, Lower taxes instead?

Did anyone catch the bizarre statements Bush made in the debate chiding Kerry that the increases in homeland security Kerry wanted to make would cause a "tax gap"? Bush is saying that tax cuts are more important than homeland security. I think the guy showed just what he thinks, tax cuts are more important than protecting American lives. Here is a transcript of the exchange:

MOD:As president, what would you do, specifically, in addition to or differently to increase the homeland security of the United States than what President Bush is doing?

KERRY:Jim, let me tell you exactly what I'll do. And there are a long list of thing. First of all, what kind of mixed message does it send when you have $500 million going over to Iraq to put police officers in the streets of Iraq, and the president is cutting the COPS program in America?

What kind of message does it send to be sending money to open firehouses in Iraq, but we're shutting firehouses who are the first- responders here in America.

The president hasn't put one nickel, not one nickel into the effort to fix some of our tunnels and bridges and most exposed subway systems. That's why they had to close down the subway in New York when the Republican Convention was there. We hadn't done the work that ought to be done.

The president -- 95 percent of the containers that come into the ports, right here in Florida, are not inspected.

Civilians get onto aircraft, and their luggage is X- rayed, but the cargo hold is not X-rayed.

Does that make you feel safer in America?

This president thought it was more important to give the wealthiest people in America a tax cut rather than invest in homeland security. Those aren't my values. I believe in protecting America first.

And long before President Bush and I get a tax cut -- and that's who gets it -- long before we do, I'm going to invest in homeland security and I'm going to make sure we're not cutting COPS programs in America and we're fully staffed in our firehouses and that we protect the nuclear and chemical plants.

The president also unfortunately gave in to the chemical industry, which didn't want to do some of the things necessary to strengthen our chemical plant exposure.

And there's an enormous undone job to protect the loose nuclear materials in the world that are able to get to terrorists. That's a whole other subject, but I see we still have a little bit more time.

KERRY: Let me just quickly say, at the current pace, the president will not secure the loose material in the Soviet Union -- former Soviet Union for 13 years. I'm going to do it in four years. And we're going to keep it out of the hands of terrorists.

LEHRER: Ninety-second response, Mr. President.

BUSH: I don't think we want to get to how he's going to pay for all these promises. It's like a huge tax gap. Anyway, that's for another debate. ........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 07:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: Bush: No Homeland Security, Lower taxes instead?

i remember that, but what struck me funny (or not so) was the last words "Anyway, that's for another debate. ........" WTF? where the hell was he then if not in a debate...[}:)]

in political asylum
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

I think that "anyway...." thing was the most unpresidential of his many unpresidential moments. It showed him as a guy of pretty shallow intellect.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 07:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1986 300SDL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Shallow intellect?? Well if you're looking for an argument you won't get one here.
What astounds me is that we have spent somewhere between 120 and 200 Billion dollars in Iraq "to make us safer" and Bush said he did spent 3 Billion here at home. WTF? I guess Iraq is 40-60 times more important then the USA. when it comes to spending money.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

It's very telling 1 week after this debate, all the Bush camp has got on Kerry is the stupid "global test". Bush was incredibly weak; I did catch his comment on "another debate", completely rediculous that he would comment on how much homeland security would cost. [:I]

OBK #35

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:35 AM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

Yes, but has the media picked up on this? It might be obviously weak to non-bushites, but isn't it the floating voters that matter - if they don't have this pointed out to them it may not matter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 10:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

I have seen replays of Kerry's "global standard" comments and am baffled by the Democrat's response to the bashing of this statement. The "global standard" being accepted by foreigners never gets posed as a prerequisite to any action. Kerry makes it clear he will communicate his data and logic for a decision to the American people first, and Congress, and that he will hold himself to a standard that justifies our actions to our allies and the rest of the world. I believe the intent is clear. The standard for making a decision to invade another country for any reason will be sufficient to stand the scrutiny of others after the fact. It is based on honesty and forthrightness about the data and motives for making such a decision. If they can't be discussed openly with the American people, they don't meet the global standard. If they can be discussed openly and honestly with the American people, Kerry's point was, they will meet anyone else's criteria because Americans have built a reputation for being committed to our core values expressed in the first ten ammendments to the Constitution, and extending these rights to others in our consideration of taking any action for or against anyone. We are unique in this practice throughout the world. Until George W. Bush, that is.

This is in stark contrast to Bush's complete lack of a standard, and the unravelling of every statement made ahead of time for why we should invade Iraq. I am also confounded why it is considered acceptable to for Bush cite freeing the Iraqi people as justification to invade Iraq as this reason violates a standing Congressional Resolution. Using United States Armed Forces to save the Iraqi people from Saddam is explicitly prohibited in the prior Congressional Resolution on Iraq that was passed during Clinton's tenure. The Congressional Resolution that authorized Bush to use US armed forces to secure the WMD in Iraq explicitly invokes the prior Congressional Resolution, and expressly states it is in compliance with the earlier Congressional Resolution and that it does nothing to modify the meaning of the prior Congressional Resolution on Iraq.

Seems like Bush should be advised not to flaunt his obvious intent from the beginning to get around this Congressional Resolution. Jim

PS. Sorry for the repeated edits.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

I wish Kerry would point out the following:

Quote:

"...a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes...
"
-- Declaration of Independence.

That's all I saw him suggesting on Thursday. Without this approach, we're just a street gang.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

or a troll parhaps...[:D]

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in