post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: '85 300TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Slavery and education in Georgia

following the humiliation of living here when the Sec. of Ed. in this state attempted to remove evolution from the science curriculum, we now have this delightful bit of fancy, already being taught to our 3rd graders in social studies... A book loosely looking at Georgia's history contains a paragraph that says that during the 1800s, Blacks from Africa came to the United States to help with the harvest. lovely. The story below actually misquotes the book, the text of which was shown on TV last night.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- An elementary school in Fayette County has stopped using a supplemental history book after the mother of one student objected to its references to slavery.

Michele Mitchell -- who is black -- says she was offended when she read that slaves were "brought" to the United States to "help" others. She took her objections about the book called "The Story of Our Georgia Community" to officials at East Fayette Elementary School, which her daughter Onika Smallwood attends.

The books now have been stockpiled at the school. Last spring, a 16-member panel of teachers, administrators and parents responded to Mitchell's complaint. They asked third-grade teachers to stop using the books as student readers.

Last week the Fayette Board of Education denied Mitchell's request to remove the book from other schools. But the board also said teachers who use the supplement must use other resources to make up for the information it lacks.

Mitchell says she will ask the state Board of Education to ban the book -- which she says glosses over slavery and black history.

The book comes in a kit with maps and a teacher's manual. It is used in third-grade classrooms across metro Atlanta -- including some in Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton and Henry counties.

Fayette County's social studies coordinator -- Cathy Geis -- reviewed the book before it was published and defends its use.

'85 300TD Pastel Beige
361,500 miles and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 11:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RE: Slavery and education in Georgia

Quote:"Fayette County's social studies coordinator -- Cathy Geis -- reviewed the book before it was published and defends its use."

In defense she said "These children need to know them darkies had it better when massa was running the show."

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)

Conquerors always reserve the right to rewrite history.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 12:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well then, people from New Hampshire should be writing those Georgia text books.
I'll get started right now. Let me reach for my pen.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Ugh. Yet another reminder to review my boy's books in detail when he gets older... shudder. How could something like that get as far as the classroom?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 89 300E

What's the problem? We took poor, unfortunate people out of a God forsaken jungle, paid for their transportation to a better place, taught them to speak and read a writable language, rewarded them for superior service and gave them free time to shuck and jive! All we asked in return was a good days work. On the surface it would appear that we did them a favor!!

10, 9, 8,7,............

"The above post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Cap'n Carageous nor this forum. It may be presented as an attempt at humor or as a quote or paraphrase from another author. Any feelings hurt by this post are the responsibility of the reader. No animals were harmed in the making of this post." Member F.D.I.C. Tax tag and title extra.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '04 G35 Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Cap n Carageous - 9/30/2004 4:41 PM

What's the problem? We took poor, unfortunate people out of a God forsaken jungle, paid for their transportation to a better place, taught them to speak and read a writable language, rewarded them for superior service and gave them free time to shuck and jive! All we asked in return was a good days work. On the surface it would appear that we did them a favor!!

10, 9, 8,7,............
Goddammit, twice in a row with this shite! What is the point of posting things like this? It is obviously not funny to anyone else but yourself and is offensive for the sake of being offensive. Seriously. I'm all for intelligent free speech, but you make yourself sound like some ignorant redneck with this rascist banter (which, given the benefit of the doubt, you may not actually be). Is your poor life so devoid of any meanful joy that you have to resort to this sort of crap to get your "jollies". And here I am, playing right into it, out of sheer frustration. If you have something worthwhile to add, it's one thing. This serves no purpose whatsoever and could make sensible people think quite poorly of you. This internet forum shock jock troll BS is going a little bit too far.+

'06 E350

'04 Infinity G35 6MT (Traded 4/06)

'97 C 230 (Traded 12/04)

'02 CLK 55 (RIP 8/04)
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 05:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 85 380SE
Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Howard

Why would you respond to such as that?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 89 300E

Quote:
Dan Howard - 9/30/2004 7:12 PM

Well, there are always two sides to every story. I guess I felt 'challenged'![;)]

"The above post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Cap'n Carageous nor this forum. It may be presented as an attempt at humor or as a quote or paraphrase from another author. Any feelings hurt by this post are the responsibility of the reader. No animals were harmed in the making of this post." Member F.D.I.C. Tax tag and title extra.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 05:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
Cap n Carageous - 9/30/2004 7:26 PM

Quote:
Dan Howard - 9/30/2004 7:12 PM

Well, there are always two sides to every story. I guess I felt 'challenged'![;)]
I think we all see that now. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in