Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mt. St. helens has the hiccups.....

she's a shaking[:0]
http://www.komotv.com/stories/33260.htm

1 Or 2 Quakes A Minute Atop Mt. St. Helens

September 27, 2004
Scientists are still not sure what was going on beneath the southwest Washington volcano and planned a full day of investigations.
SEATTLE - Small earthquakes at the rate of one or two a minute on Monday had seismologists keeping a close watch on Mount St. Helens.

Scientists were not sure what was going on beneath the southwest Washington volcano and planned a full day of investigations.

Seth Moran, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey at the Volcano Observatory in Vancouver, said that while a major blast was unlikely, there was potential for explosions within the crater that could throw rocks as far as the rim.

The earthquake swarms began Thursday and on Sunday the Geological Survey issued a notice of volcanic unrest, saying there was "an increased likelihood of a hazardous event."

U.S. Forest Service officials closed hiking trails above the treeline at 4,800 feet on the mountain. The visitor's center and most other trails at the Mount St. Helens National Monument remained open, but officials did not want climbers exposed to a sudden gas or steam explosion while peering over the crater rim.

"Standing on the rim, from what geologists tell us, would not be a good idea," said Peter Frenzen, monument scientist.

Scientists planned to fly over the 8,364-foot mountain on Monday to test for carbon dioxide and sulfur gases, which could indicate whether magma is moving beneath the crater. They also planned to set up additional seismic sensors and global positioning devices to measure activity.

The May 18, 1980, eruption killed 57 people, leveled hundreds of square miles of forests and dumped volcanic ash across the Northwest.

In October 1980, a lava dome began building in the crater, eventually growing to 925 feet from the crater floor. The last dome-building eruption was in October 1986, but steam explosions have periodically rocked the dome.

Previous earthquake swarms three years ago did not result in any activity on the surface.

"The key issue is a small explosion without warning. That would be the major event that we're worried about right now," said Willie Scott, a geologist with the USGS office in Vancouver.

The hundreds of tiny earthquakes that began Thursday morning slowly declined through Saturday. But on Sunday, the swarms of small quakes were punctuated by more than 10 quakes of magnitude 2.0 to 2.8, the most in a 24-hour period since the 1986 dome-building eruption, Scott said.

The swarms continued Monday. The quakes were too small to be felt, even at the monument, said Tom Knappenberger, spokesman for the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

Similar swarms of quakes in 1998 and 2001 did not result in eruptions.

The current quakes have occurred at depths less than one mile below the lava dome within the mountain's crater. Some of the earthquakes suggest the involvement of pressurized fluids, such as water or steam, and perhaps magma.

In the event of an explosion, Scott said the concern would be focused on the area within the crater and the upper flanks of the volcano. It's possible that a five-mile area primarily north of the volcano could receive flows of mud and rock debris.

"We haven't had a swarm of earthquakes at Mount St. Helens since 2001," state seismologist Tony Qamar said. "Clearly something new is happening."

Qamar said if an eruption did occur it would possibly involve ash and steam, called phreatic eruptions.

"There's been no explosions, there's no outward sign that anything is occurring. This is all based on the pattern of earthquake activity that is occurring below the dome," said Scott.

Experts believe there is "an increased probability of explosions from the lava dome if the level of current unrest continues or escalates," USGS and the University of Washington Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network in Seattle said in a joint statement Sunday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
RE: Mt. St. helens has the hiccups.....

Utah is looking better and better.....[:D]

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '84 SD
(Thread Starter)

Don't come to Washington....Washington will come to you[:D]
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus SHO....
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The results of the investigation are in: RUN!
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 04:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

I better watch out

I drink so much tea, that I am surprised that my pee isn't brown...
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Repent, repent all ye sinners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, none of this is funny people. I'm closer to that sleeping giant than any of these other Warshingtonians, though Letuvai(sp?) may chime in, as he's down in the Vancouver area. Frankly, I'm quaking in my boots, about ready to blow my top.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
RE: Repent, repent all ye sinners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 9/27/2004 5:31 PM

Hey, none of this is funny people. I'm closer to that sleeping giant than any of these other Warshingtonians, though Letuvai(sp?) may chime in, as he's down in the Vancouver area. Frankly, I'm quaking in my boots, about ready to blow my top.
Did you ever stop and think that perhaps Mount St. Helens is a giant anthill?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

...millions of tiny screams!
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '84 SD
(Thread Starter)

Naw. Judging by my front yard, I'd have to say it's moles, not ants.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I saw a thing on the Discovery Channel on the Yellowstone Supervolcano, which, when it goes off, will most likely annihilate a great many of us west of the divide, with a nuclear winter to follow. Assuming that you Washingtonians are steeped in Vulcanology the way us Gulf Coasters are aware of hurricanes, perhaps you know this - is St. Helens part of that overall system, that is, does it sit on the same underlying fault as Yellowstone? Does the underlying vulcanism compare to the Yellowstone super structure? In other words, if that thing goes off, will I be sweeping pieces of you guys (in the form of volcanic ash) from my driveway ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in