post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ever been in a bad auto accident?

My worst accident involved a head-on with a late-80s Olds 98 -- I was in a 92 Stealth Twin Turbo. 50mph --bam. This guy decides to make a left turn into heavy opposing traffic and I was the lucky winner. I didn't even have time to reach for the brake. The other driver was a fatality -- I wound up with only a broken bone in my hand and a case of airbag rash. If not for the airbag, it may have been a double fatality. Both cars were totaled of course...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: Ever been in a bad auto accident?

yup, about what your was but worse..

in political asylum
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 01:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I was in a spectacular accident where I was only injured slightly and the other party got out with out a scratch. One the most insane parts of the hiway system in the north Dallas area is State 114. West og Grapevine, it turns into a 70 mph 4 lane crossed by side streets with stop signs. I am tooting along in a company truck, a Chevy 1/2 ton pickup, at 70 mph, and this car drives right thru a stop sign right in front of me on the freeway, and I never even had a chance to hit my brakes. I hit right on the front quarter and tore the car completely in half, and then I rolled over a couple of times, and ended up hanging upsidedown by my God-blessed seat belt. I had the window open, so I had dirt, rocks, grass and shrubs floating like a cloud inside the cab and in my eyes. To this day I remember ever crunch, squel and grind as I found out what it be like to take a ride in a clothes dryer full of dirt. After I realized I was still alive and my Saving Private Ryan Beach Experience ended, I dropped myself on my head and crawled out of the truck. The seat belt and the pipe rack saved my life, as the pipe rack had acted as a roll bar and kept me from getting crushed like a grape. I staggered to the other car, convinced I was going to find a car load of dead people. It was separated right at the firewall (AMC Matador full size) and the rear portion of the car, minus the entire front clip, was sort of parked on the freeway, and the rest of it was scattered everywhere. I looked down inside the car, and thru my half blind eyes was the little tiny sixteen year old girl, litterly frozen in fear, her hands in a death grip on the steering wheel. She was covered with red blothches, which later I learned were hives. That was the worst that happened to her. As I got her out the car, the poor girl broke into tears. A crowd gathered, and I, bleeding from cuts and scratches and half blind, was totally ignored as everyone tripped over themselves to comfort the girl. The cops didn't even give here a ticket for running the stop sign, as they all fawned over her.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 02:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was in the exact same accident as Ron only a few weeks back. It left almost nothing left of my poor 208 and took about a foot and a half out of the side of a Dodge Ram 2500. I walked away but was hospitalized a few hours later when my back froze up on me. As far as I know the other driver was ok. Looking at the car afterwards, I was shocked I was able to walk away. The scary thing was I rarely ever wore a seat belt (no longer the case), but had just put mine on maybe five minutes earlier when I saw a cop a few cars back from me.

'06 E350

'04 Infinity G35 6MT (Traded 4/06)

'97 C 230 (Traded 12/04)

'02 CLK 55 (RIP 8/04)
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)

Almost makes you want to find the cop and thank him, doesn't it?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 02:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '04 G35 Coupe 6MT

That particular officer was actually the second one on the scene. In the heavy traffic in my area it was still another two minutes (I was hitting te lights better), but there was one cop right at the intersection who witnessed the accident (very fortunate for me). I escaped any responsibility for the accident because of that. I was thanking two cops that morning.

'06 E350

'04 Infinity G35 6MT (Traded 4/06)

'97 C 230 (Traded 12/04)

'02 CLK 55 (RIP 8/04)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
kvining - 9/20/2004 12:48 PM

....a spectacular accident .....
I'm imagining Jackie Stewart saying those very words. You don't do anyhing small, do you?

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We covered highway median and shoulder with car parts over the area the size of a football field. Both cars were totally demolished. That is spectacular. The "worst" accident I was in was the fender bender I had when I was about 23, where I had to dump $400 worth of primo Columbo in a cow pasture before the cops arrived. I bet sweet milk came from that field for a while.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: chris

i have never been involved in an accident in my total driving history but still plenty of time with all the nutters on the road today[:)]
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 98 BMW 528i
Send a message via AIM to Jamison

I have been in 2 accidents both in the same car. Witnessed my friends accident where he severley duffed up his bimmer and hit my teachers car with my pickup truck (no damage to either parties).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in