post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Do you go on joy rides in your Benz?

We had a cool evening in Texas last night as the Big Heat Season comes to an end, a welcome relief. I put the top down on the old 83 280SL, which has been running extra good since I gave it a bottle of expensive yet apparently worthwhile Chevron Techron injector cleaner, and ended up driving the backroads in the cotton-country southwest of Houston until after 1 AM just for the sheer joy of it. Spared a possum's life with some stunt driving and generally harrassed the small town drivers, and managed to somehow evade the local police in the process. Do you just hop in the old benz and drive it just for the joy of driving the darn thing? What's it like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1986 300SDL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Do you go on joy rides in your Benz?

Absolutely. Read my reply to the "Happiness is..." Column. Took my son on a 1000 mile road trip in the 300SDL. Probably the finest touring car ever built. Plus a real 25MPG average. Hey OPEC "Bring It On!" there's a Burger King (french fry oil) right down the street.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

My all time best trip I took in my benz was a ride I took with my 18 year old at the time son to Gettysburg, PA. I will never forget it. There is nothing in the world like sliding in an SL thru the Cumberland Gap and the mountains of PA. Letting my kid drive it was a gas, and now out of all my kids he is the one who is the true Benz enthusiast. You just have to raise 'em right. I'll probably eventually give him the car if and when I ever find the right 107 500SL Euro I'm looking for.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

Every ride is a “joyride� in a Benz! [:D][8D]

(I should be doing their commercials…)
[^]
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1986 300SDL

Kirk,
What's wrong with a US spec 560SL? I had an 83 380SL that was MINT with 48K miles on it, I mean even the lug nuts were perfect, but I didn't use it much cause both my kids couldn't go with me. Ended up trading it for a BMW convt. (4 seater) The power top definitely spoils you. Which brings up another point, how about a newer gen SL, they're getting reasonable (sub $20K)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

I don't know, but the US cars are luxury cars an the Euros, if not converted, are more European sports cars. They don't come with much of the luxary equipmemt, are much lighter and generally have more efficent and higher horsepower engines. My 280SL six cyl, for example, has 30 more horse than a 380 V8. The 500SL is the top performer of the SL line.

I grew up on big Austin-Healy's, and they are my model of what a sports car is. Owned two of them, a 3000 and a 100-6. The Euro SLs are the most like them - well appointed but not luxurious. The 560 just does not have that kind of feel, this may sound odd, but they are too luxurious. Sacrificing performance to add weight, espiecally the bumpers and stuff, is too blatant on those models.

I am really just a big fan of the 107. If I was going to go newer model sports cars made in the 90's and up, I'd do a vette. The C6's are getting in the 20 grand range too. They're a hell of a lot cheaper to fix.

Actually, I perfer an older sports car because part of the fun for me is roaming the junkyards and searching ebay and the forums for tidbit parts. The antiques aspectr is as much fun as having a sports car.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Vehicle: W126 SD, W115 D

Actually, the C6 just came out, I think you must mean the C5.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Obviously to all I have little expertise on Vettes, or I would not be here. I do like them tho, what little I know about them. Whatever the model is that they have been producing for the past few years, is what I am referring to. One particular model, I believe it is a 98, has a particular rear window styling on the removal-top coupes that I think is stunning. I actually passed on one of those going at 19K and bought the SL instead for about 7k. Me and my 12 grand I still have in the bank are both happy with the deal. I think I may bite at around 15k.

I hated the model before that, the 80's model with a puny engine and a forty-ton body, and I hated the 70's shark job you see everywhere - they are the loosest, most rattling claptraps I ever drove. Everything prior to 72 is the stuff I really dream about. Maybe at retirement time, a 67 coupe.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 9/19/2004 4:04 PM

We had a cool evening in Texas last night as the Big Heat Season comes to an end, a welcome relief. I put the top down on the old 83 280SL, which has been running extra good since I gave it a bottle of expensive yet apparently worthwhile Chevron Techron injector cleaner, and ended up driving the backroads in the cotton-country southwest of Houston until after 1 AM just for the sheer joy of it. Spared a possum's life with some stunt driving and generally harrassed the small town drivers, and managed to somehow evade the local police in the process. Do you just hop in the old benz and drive it just for the joy of driving the darn thing? What's it like?

Not to hijack this thread too much, but what kind of MPG do you get on your SL?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Mine has the 4spd auto, and if I keep my foot out of it I get great hiway mileage, about 21-25 I would guess, and good city mileage. The price of premium, however, does not help the situation. Also, the sweet spot on these cars built for the Autobahn is between 65 and 90, where it accelerates fantastically, and it is hard to keep the fun down. The Euros really do drive different from the American cars, and are great for Houston's drving environment, which is all wide open four-lanes, even on the city streets, and eight and ten lane mega highways. If you live somewhere where there is a lot of stop and go drving, I would not recommend one because they are inherently slow off the line. Like most Mercedes of the time, it was designed for a specific use, this one as the businessman coupe used in day to day driving, and is intended to be more economical to operate while offering passable high performance as well, for the salesman type who had to cover a lot of ground. Its big brother, the 500SL was meant to be a personal high performance machine marketed to Europeans, who given the high price of fuel did not want the added weight of power options, in either model. The 500SL with a four or five speed manual had Ferrari-like performance in its day, and gets high ratings in collector guides for investment value. Nice examples of the 500 are very, very hard to find in the US. There are lots of nice 280Sl's out there however, especially out west, where some of the big MB dealerships in AZ and CA imported them on their own, so called "grey market" cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in