Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: Happiness is...

Quote:
JimSmith - 9/18/2004 8:41 PM

Quote:
w126 - 9/18/2004 8:12 PM

Good sex on a warmer summer night when the moon beams in and bathes our bodies with it's ereie glow. [8)]
Works as long as that other camper is not about to answer the call of nature on your campfire. Jim
rofl, ha, ha, ha...[:D]

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Living in the greatest country in the world and having the freedom to drive a nice car on a beautiful day![:)]
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

Quote:
kerry edwards - 9/18/2004 6:35 PM

Wasn't it Earl Butz, Nixon's Secretary of Agriculture(?) who lost his job for answering that question, "Loose shoes, tight pussy, and a warm place to shit"

Looks like his profile needs to be updated…

http://www.nndb.com/people/635/000022569/

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:28 AM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

Ahh, tracked you miscreants down to a new lair...

A major part of happiness seems to be doing what your genes tell you. This seems to be associated with mundane animal maintenance - eating, sex, acquiring resources (for reproduction) etc. Another more high-minded source of happiness is denying all of the above, in an attempt to escape biological determinism. This latter, paradoxically, is Dawkins view of where our true humanity lies (his collection of essays on evolution, 'The Devil's Chaplain', a phrase used by Darwin).

Or do most of us just glory in animal plesures? What's your view of this dichotomy?

-Jack

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Since denial is fear-driven, it cannot possibly lead to true happiness, can it? I would have to side with your first assessment rather than the latter. On a more spiritual level, isn't happiness little more than the elimination or minimization of fear? I suppose I'm equating happiness with enlightenment.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

a warm gun
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus SHO....
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Placing your gun in a warm holster.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:43 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 300d, 409d

Quote:
jjl - 9/20/2004 11:28 AM

A major part of happiness seems to be doing what your genes tell you. This seems to be associated with mundane animal maintenance - eating, sex, acquiring resources (for reproduction) etc. Another more high-minded source of happiness is denying all of the above, in an attempt to escape biological determinism. This latter, paradoxically, is Dawkins view of where our true humanity lies (his collection of essays on evolution, 'The Devil's Chaplain', a phrase used by Darwin).

Or do most of us just glory in animal plesures? What's your view of this dichotomy?

-Jack
I think Darwin was just exhibiting a (typical British upper class?) prejudice. There is no dichotomy between the two. It all depends on the circumstance. Both kinds of happiness are good and useful.
My warm shit produced a lot of happiness, but if I'd been reading Anselm's ontological argument for God's existence at the same time, my pleasures would have been more diverse and multiplied.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 06:37 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL

Slightly at cross purposes here.

I was suggesting that pleasure derived from paying homage to our inner evolution-generated selfish demon ('success') is a tainted pleasure, and a higher source of fulfilment comes from an informed denial of these drives. It's much in evidence in religious people (fasting, moronic chanting & co), and while this could hardly be called informed, it's interesting.

Although of course there is the rather unpleasant argument that says such secular self-denial is just as sanctimonius and also may be adaptive, by convincing others what a good guy one is, et cetera. Is self-deception an evolutionary strategy?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 300d, 409d

I'm not sure why one should be considered tainted and the other not. It seems to me that once a complex species like our arises, and self-consciousness causes us to reflect upon our choices, these 'higher' choices or pleasures will 'naturally' evolve. So I see both kinds of choices as natural and whether one or the other is tainted depends entirely on the circumstances.
I had an elderly bachelor neighbor in his late 70's who was virtually homeless. He had few pleasures in life. I sometimes cooked for him. I really thought that one of the best things I could have done for him was to hire a sexy young prostitute for an evening of sensual pleasure. I never had the courage to do it and I regret that. (He's now dead)
On the other hand, when a religious ascetic uses his or her power to manipulate the choices of a novice, this is a tainted us of a 'higher' pleasure.

Neither is higher or lower. They are just different and equally natural.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in