New Christian Reformation - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 02:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: New Christian Reformation

Unfortunately Jesus didn’t write a book. That should be a clue. Mankind already had books and didn’t get it; so maybe we’ll just lay back and see how this evolves and let the students write a thesis. Christianity became more of a mythical truth, developed by Peter and Paul, than the historical record of Jesus. Of course it will change – it has changed.
Since we’re on a new forum – and let me say I feel a little like an intruder, and openly invite all you guys to please join in our rantings – I should say that I’m a Bahai, and my views generally reflect the Bahai Faiths perspective. We don’t proselytize, so if your interested just Google “Bahai�. Still let me hit a few quick points.
1- There’s no clergy or ritual
2- We try to study religion as a single, progressively reveled guide for the development of all of mankind from a single source. We have our own founders and writings, but have no conflict (from our point of view) with other branches of what we view as the same thing.
3- We follow the laws of whatever lands we live in (even if they ban our institutions) but feel we’re citizen’s of one world before any one nation or state. Therefore in the grand scheme of things advancing the standards of living in the developing world take precedence over advancing affluence in the more developed world. Turning that upside down we work daily to be of service to our local communities, and view work as a form of worship.
4- We work to eliminate all forms of prejudice, to elevate the status of women, and educate children. We’re known for having many mixed race marriages, and although it’s not part of the Faith, many Bahai’s promote this.
5- We’re charged to independently seek the truth, guided in the belief that science and religion work together to explain the nature of God. Few Bahai’s would conceive of an all-powerful invisible being as God – whatever, looks like God might be radioactive though.[:D]
6- Doubtful that ancient Scripture is meant to be literal. Talking snakes, water walking, magic tricks, many headed flying dragons, might be more illustrative or descriptions of dream states than literal facts.

Ever since the lights went on for one of our ancestors (represented by Adam) and we began to conceive something greater than ourselves; somehow in some way, some have been able to transcend their existence and gain a connection to a greater good. How many of these people we’ve locked up, burnt at a stake, or found threatening we’ll never know, but in Israel they actually have what they call “The God Squad� to handle all of the street preachers.
We live in an environment that has allowed life, as we know it, to develop and evolve. Somehow some magic DNA evolved and blessed humanity with a mind that allows them above everything else we know of - to appreciate our existence, creating a soul. The only logical reason for this separation from everything else we know of must be to appreciate what ever may be next or what caused our separation from everything else we know of. Call it God.
So texts are written, but by men – some more enlightened than others. The Sprit of enlightenment hidden in those texts is so great that men can only hope to convey a hint of it. Some are called religious books; some may be called Physics, Philosophy, or maybe movie scripts. We’re searching, and as we advance some are going to be overwhelmed and try to stick to some ultimate set of fundamental rules. The truth has got to be in the search, and it’s got to be individual and personal.
For me it has become simple. If something makes the world a better place for little children I’ll try to step that way, if it makes it worse I’ll try to step away. Everyone of them said “I am the Way� “The Final Word� �The Only Truth� we’ve rejected them all every time and they were always right, because they were the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 9/16/2004 3:55 PM

Since I "lost my religion" (baptized Lutheran) back as a teenager, I had built up a considerable resentment against religious types in general, and Christians specifically for their overzealous and non-stop in your face evangelizing. But, it was the "liberal" denominations and interpretors of Christian/Jewish faith that have caused me to re-think my animous and reach the conclusion that religion CAN have a positive role to play within society. These folks appear to use their faith in a positive, inclusive and progressive manner that I find compelling, and have greatly enjoyed working with and among them as a result.

Around these parts the United Church of Christ, Methodists, Unitarians, progressive Catholics and Episcopalians are very active in regional social justice and peace resolution issues--good folks.
What kind of car did you loose your religion in ? Oops...wrong thread
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 9/16/2004 5:30 PM

What kind of car did you loose your religion in ? Oops...wrong thread
must've been a Lada. [:D][:D]

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in