LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '84 SD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: The Forgery Mystery

Sheesh! I still can't believe anyone really still gives a crap about who did what during the 'Nam war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '98 E300 Turbodiesel

I just heard there may be suspensions, including Rather, over at CBS. Came over Bloomberg World Wide, I think (XM). I also heard that some Congressman has called for a freaking investigation into the debacle.
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Yeah, I suppose you're right. But since both of them don't seem to be staying up front with what they REALLY did, or did not do, I see that as a mutual cancelation.
I choose to ignore the whole issue. It doesn't matter one bit to me, or how I'll choose to vote.
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

I was listening to the local business channel, and the host said the way this election is being carried out is unprecedented and is actually hurting the economy and the financial community. All this stupid Swift Boat and Forgery stuff means both candidates are not talking about the issues, have not for a long time, and even when they claim they are neither one of them is saying anything that means anything.

Big fund managers and futures traders want to hear the issues discussed and see how they resonate with the public so they can place bets and set up hedges - thats their usual practice. Hard goods manufacturers look at the same stuff, to make decisions on expansion. But this time, and this late in the year, they all have zilch coming from the political system.

End result is that when the debates take place, the market might get stampeded, and October is typically the worst month for that. The analyst laid the blame for this at the feet of the press, saying they have all gone "tabloid nuts" and no longer do the main function they are supposed to be doing at election time - holding the politicians feet to the fire on their stands on the issue. He even went pretty far back in saying that this all started when Chronkite left CBS and Rather took his place, which began the process of changing news from reporting the facts to chasing the most sensational story, because Rather has been on an ego rush since Watergate. Now he gets to die on his own guillotine.

post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 02:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
kvining - 9/15/2004 12:48 PM

I was listening to the local business channel, and the host said the way this election is being carried out is unprecedented and is actually hurting the economy and the financial community. All this stupid Swift Boat and Forgery stuff means both candidates are not talking about the issues, have not for a long time, and even when they claim they are neither one of them is saying anything that means anything.
Wow! You and I actually agree on something, Kirk![:0][:D]
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 02:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Uniwhale - 9/15/2004 2:50 PM

I also heard that some Congressman has called for a freaking investigation into the debacle.
Are you surprised? We had immediate Congressional hearings regarding The Unveiling of Janet Jackson's Breast, after all ;)

KV is right; not only does all this talk of what happened thirty years ago detract from any discussion on the actual issues, but at least in Bush's case, I don't think you'd even find anyone on the right who would suggest Bush didn't get special treatment with regards to his service, or lack thereof. Heck, Bush Jr was the son of the director of the CIA (at the time) -- or is my timeline wrong there?
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:23 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

I believe he was Ambassador Bush at that time

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
webwench - 9/15/2004 2:59 PM

KV is right; not only does all this talk of what happened thirty years ago detract from any discussion on the actual issues, but at least in Bush's case, I don't think you'd even find anyone on the right who would suggest Bush didn't get special treatment with regards to his service, or lack thereof.
And as I said a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away -- it doesn't matter at all. This kind of BS is only (questionably) relevant to the Kerry campaign. GW passed his entrance exam 4 years ago.

Note: Bush I took the reins of the CIA in '76.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

After reading this story from the Washington Post on the 60 minutes Guard Memo story, I was amazed at what sloppy journalism and downright malfeasance the 60 Minutes staff exhibited. I intitially supported their claims of authenticity based more on my belief that their supposed high degree of professionalism meant that they had probably taken great care to authenticate the documents before hand. Instead, their operation sounds like the Keystone Cops Press:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6039473/

At this point I am ashamed I ever supported them. In fact their journalistic sin here is so deep and so base, I hereby offer a public apology to all those I contended with on this matter on this and the other forum.The stain and stench of this outrage was aided by me in my own small way, and I see it as a duty to apologize for taking part in this dishonor, whatever the motivation.

If ever there was a time a media operation should shut down a show, fire the reporters and staff, including the doltish Mr. Rather, this is it. Their thirst for scandal over substance makes them unworthy to participate in the political process of the nation, in fact makes them a danger to it. I swear I will never watch this show again, if they get an interview with Elvis himself, I swear I will never watch them or CBS in general, again.

post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Whether the docs or true or not is a minor part of the story, to me.

I want to know who provided the docs to CBS--the 'chain of custody'. Think CBS will ever give it up?

Also, I'm more than curious whether this second-guessing by the blogospherical experts will force news orgs to reevaluate their methodologies.

Finally, how many times in the past have news orgs been given material and used it that were this sloppily authenticated? What stories were they? What were the outcomes?

And who was on the Grassy Knoll?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in