post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Soldiers Facing Extended Tours

Quote:
Army officials announced yesterday that thousands of active-duty and reserve soldiers who are nearing the end of their volunteer service commitments could be forced to serve an entire tour overseas if their units are chosen for deployment to Iraq or Afghanistan.
What this means is that some volunteers could be required to stay in the army for as long as 18 months past the end of their commitment. This will make the job of the recruiters, for our volunteer army, that much more difficult. There is no need to fear for national security though; all that the congress needs to do is reinstate the draft. Some of our young patriots may be given the honor of being called upon to serve our country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 01:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I stand corrected. You can have it both ways. Tax cuts AND larger military boosting high morale!

I feel so miserable without you; its almost like having you here.
-- Stephen Bishop
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 91 300SE
RE: Soldiers Facing Extended Tours

Three words: Bush the Bastard!

Current Mercedes:
1991 S-Class 300SE (Dallas)

Previous Mercedes:
2002 W168 A170 CDI LWB Avantgarde automatic (London)
1980 W123 300D automatic (Dallas)
1984 W126 300SD (Dallas)
1989 W124 300TE 7-seater (London)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 05:20 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 98 BMW 528i
Send a message via AIM to Jamison

If I was drafted, I would go serve proudly and willingly. I would definatley try to enlist however.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '04 E55 Tectite

One of the things that our military learned from Vietnam was that when tours are too short and troops are rotated too often the casualty rates soar. It takes a while to acclimate to the conditions, the enemy, and the surroundings.

As for a draft, you guys should be happy about the possibility of a draft. So many of you MichaelMoories, (he likes to call us Bushies) want us to mimic Old Europe in so many ways, that's one that makes sense. A number of countries in old Europe have mandatory service for all able bodied men. Two of my friends from Finland (Jukka and Teemu) went through that and were both grateful for the experience. I think a mandatory year or two years of service would greatly better our society especially areas where crime is high and so many young men lack any sort of guidance or direction in their lives. During war time put the drafted soldiers in support positions while the volunteers are on the fighting lines.

'04 E55 AMG
'04 Yukon Denali
'02 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
'94 928 GTS (SOLD)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 07:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003

Quote:
Chuck V - 6/3/2004 1:15 PM

What this means is that some volunteers could be required to stay in the army for as long as 18 months past the end of their commitment. This will make the job of the recruiters, for our volunteer army, that much more difficult. There is no need to fear for national security though; all that the congress needs to do is reinstate the draft. Some of our young patriots may be given the honor of being called upon to serve our country.
It is a common misconception that folks are serving beyond "the end of their commtment". When you volunteer for military service in this country, you are signing up for 4 - 5 years, not three. Three is the number of years for which you will do active duty. The remaining time you are on-call; with the possibility of being restored to active duty. This is known up front when you sign the papers. Naturally, you are rarely called during the on-call period. However, during times of high military activity, such as now, that possibility becomes much stronger. While most folks sign up for the college benefits and other programs offered, one is still joining an army and all that implies. It is doubtful that this will have a major impact upon recruitment.

There has been talk about reinstating the draft. However, all top brass in the military do not want it. They prefer an all volunteer army, with folks who actually want to be there. It is doubtful the draft will begin any time soon.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Pasion Coupe/Gray Metallic/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Solid Roof/Premium Sound/Fog Lights/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 10:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '04 E55 Tectite

Quote:
Chuck V - 6/3/2004 6:48 PM

Mandatory military service may be a part of Europe’s success. 12-18 months in the military teaches respect and discipline, something that it sorely lacking in our society. It would do a world of good from some of these kids to spend some time away from home and experience the real world.
Did we just agree on something?

[:0]

'04 E55 AMG
'04 Yukon Denali
'02 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
'94 928 GTS (SOLD)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 02:19 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '05 330i ZHP
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think we did. I think the German system works fairly well, where you go in for three months, or you do a community service thing. I would not want to be drafted by the americans, they send their people away by the truckload, the Germans just train them. I'm glad I'm not a citizen.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 03:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 91 300SE

I think we should send the Bush daughters to Iraq next. What do y'all think? Maybe daddy should go for a stint too...then he can finally admit to being a veteran.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 05:10 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '05 330i ZHP
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
merouby - 6/7/2004 2:51 PM

I think we should send the Bush daughters to Iraq next. What do y'all think? Maybe daddy should go for a stint too...then he can finally admit to being a veteran.
I'm glad at least two of us can agree on something, good idea. Maybe we should send them all out there, monkey entourage and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in