post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 05:56 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Benz Boy 07
RE: Bunch of new cars lately

Geeky1 - 5/16/2004 10:35 PM

My grandfather bought a new Porsche Cayenne Turbo about a month ago, my mom got a new Yukon XL Denali last week (or the week before) and my dad picked up his new E55 AMG on Thursday (which is when I found out about it).

I've driven the Porsche and the GMC, but my dad won't let me drive the E55 (yet) [:D]

The Porsche is an incredible car (well, truck). It drives better than anything else I've driven (which, admittedly, isn't much), including my grandparents' '97 SL500. The steering has excellent feedback, it stiffens up nicely at highway speeds, and for a car with 450hp, it is extremely docile. Basically, in terms of performance, it's a lot like the 560 when the turbos aren't spooled up; it's reasonably quick, but not exactly fast. However, if you put your foot in it and hold it there until it reaches about 2500rpms, you're in for a hell of a surprise. I didn't get a chance to really get on it, but it managed to hit about 50% of maximum boost a few times.

From idle to say 2000rpms, it's kinda dead. It moves more than quickly enough to keep up with traffic, and it has more than enough torque to do so without having to downshift, but it's not exactly real lively.

From 2000-2500rpms, it starts to wake up, and it becomes apparent that the thing has some power...

From about 2500-3000rpms, the turbos build enough pressure to register on the boost gauge, and it moves pretty damn fast.

Above 3000rpms can be summed up in 2 words: HOOOOOOOOOLEEEEEE S**T. There is just no way a vehicle as big as the Cayenne should be able to move that fast. It just flat out moves. I scared my grandfather because I needed to move over, and the person in that lane was going faster than I was, and the person in front of me was slowing down. So, I floored it and moved over. [:D] He thought I was going to rear end the guy in front of me. I didn't, but boy did that thing take off. [:D]

The GMC drives, well, like crap. It's not as bad as my grandparents' Range Rover (which they traded in for the Cayenne), but frankly, that's not saying much. The force feedback wheel I use on the computer has better feel than the steering in the Yukon does. It's not a slow truck in its own right (its got 325hp, 365lb-ft of torque, and does 0-60 in under 8s, so...) but in terms of "fun to drive"... in a word, it's... not. The Range Rover was bad. It was probably the worst car I have ever driven. The Yukon isn't nearly that bad, but it's not something I'd look forward to driving every day, either.

And now I just have to find a reason to get my dad to take the 560 in to the shop, so I can drive the E55 for a day... "No, dad, I won't drag race anyone, even BMW drivers that have it coming to them, I promise" [:D][:D]

Sounds like you had some fun!

I'm addicted to cars!

04 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
04 Dodge Viper SRT-10
01 BMW 740i Sport- Fine I won't sell it Tubs
89 560SL- Da project car
IM me at Rocafella 550
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: