Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 98' SLK-230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Canadian Letter

Yeah ... well, facts are facts ... one Canadian wrote the following:

###

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, the United States hurries in to help! This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I would like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane.

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, the Americans rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I do not think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake. Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I am one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them be kicked around.

They will come out of this thing with their flag high. In addition, when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those. Stand proud America!"

Cheers,
Brad

1) 98' SLK-230, 75,200 miles
Imperial Red exterior and newly redone Salsa Interior with center console dyed black.
New Yokohama AVS Sport 205/55ZR-16 Fronts & Yokohama AVS Sport 245/45ZR-16 Rears
New Eclipse CD-5423 Head Unit
Painted Calipers
Will consider all reasonable offers. For more information, visit:
http://www.bradstevens.com/mercedes_benz_slk.html

2) 2000 Jaguar S-Type
Black on Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 06:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 2009 Shelby GT500 Convertible
RE: Canadian Letter

That's from a letter written by Canadian journalist Gordon Sinclair (deceased)...

...written back in 1973. [;)]

But I do agree it still pertains in many ways today.

2009 Shelby GT500 Convertible Steeda Stage II
11.92 @ 121.62
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 07:45 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: Widebody SEC

if it was written in 1973 then that explains some of the inaccuracies. the san francisco earthquake he is reffering would be the one from 1906. international relief efforts were far more difficult to say the least. Bombardier Aerospace (a Canadian company) has just celebrated the delivery of its 1000th RJ aircraft. we won't talk about the AVRO arrow.

for those who have never been to canada, i have lived here all my life and have travelled over the world and must say that there i have not witnessed as much america bashing in canada as the above letter may imply. we consider the US a great ally and trading partner. we opened our arms during 9/11 and welcome all your aircraft to our airports and homes. we have sent relief workers to ground zero and aid in peace keeping through the UN whenever possible (face it we have no military to offer). even though canada is small (in population) and we are not that rich, we do offer a hand to the US when possible. even though the americans stood on the canadian flag during the past winter olympics and flew our flag upside down during the 1993 world series.

as a side note:
do educated people still think that man has landed on the moon? looking at the current space program, the attention surrounding the chinese progress and the emerging facts about original footage, are people not seeing the real picture. check out http://www.moontruth.com for more info.

500SEC AMG Widebody
ML320
SLK230
1974 280 Coupe

those who want the best car in the world, drive a Mercedes-Benz
those who want the best Mercedes-Benz, drive a w126

MBCA executive board member
Mercedes-Benz Club of Canada - active member
MBFanatics.org moderator
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 07:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 2009 Shelby GT500 Convertible

Since 9/11, I've seen excerpts pop up on various web boards...here's a link that explains the history of it pretty well.

http://www.nerdherd.com/hoaxes/wtc/theGoodNeighbor.php

2009 Shelby GT500 Convertible Steeda Stage II
11.92 @ 121.62
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in