Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 06:25 AM
BenzWorld Post Whore

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 10 E350 4MATIC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Confirmed by the military!

2005 C320 4MATIC | 2003 ML350 Inspiration Edition | 2001 Audi S4 Avant (Blk) - Stage II | 2001 Audi S4 Avant (Nogaro Blue) - Stage I | 2000 Audi S4 Sedan (Silver)
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 07:03 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 1988 420 SEL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Dandy
Here 'tis

U.S.: 'We got him'; Saddam Hussein caught near his hometown
American forces capture Saddam alive in Tikrit

07:23 AM CST on Sunday, December 14, 2003

Associated Press

BAGHDAD, Iraq - American forces captured a bearded Saddam Hussein, hiding in a hole in a farmhouse cellar near his hometown of Tikrit, the U.S. military announced Sunday. The arrest was carried out without a shot fired and was a victory for the U.S.-led coalition eight months after the fall of Baghdad.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we got him," U.S. administrator L. Paul Bremer told a news conference. "The tyrant is a prisoner," Bremer said.

Several Iraqi journalists stood up and shouted "Death to Saddam" after the video of his capture was shown.

Bremer said that Saddam was captured Saturday at 8:30 p.m. in a cellar in the town of Adwar, 10 miles from Tikrit.
Celebratory gunfire erupted in Baghdad and other cities in Iraq. Radio stations played celebratory music and people drove through the streets of the capital, shouting, "They got Saddam! They got Saddam!"

Forces from the Fort Hood-based 4th Infantry Division along with Special Forces captured Saddam, the U.S. military said. There were no shots fired or injuries in the raid, called "Operation Red Dawn," said Lt. Gen. Richardo Sanchez.

The Iraqi Governing Council said in a statement that Saddam was wearing a fake beard.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair welcomed Saddam's capture.

"This is very good news for the people of Iraq. It removes the shadow that has been hanging over them for too long of the nightmare of a return to the Saddam regime," he said in a statement released by his office.

Trapped in the cellar, Saddam dug a hole and buried himself as U.S. soldiers moved into the house where he was hiding, an Iraqi official said Sunday.

"The American soldiers had to use shovels to dig him out," Entifadh Qanbar, spokesman for Governing Council member Ahmad Chalabi, told The Associated Press.

Qanbar, basing his account on reports from members of the U.S.-led occupation authority, said Saddam had a salt-and-pepper beard when he was captured. Soldiers photographed him, shaved the beard and photographed him again before running DNA tests, he said.

In the capital, radio stations played celebratory music, residents fired small arms in the air in celebration and others drove through the streets, shouting, "They got Saddam! They got Saddam!"

Shop owners closed their doors, worried that all the shooting would make the streets unsafe.

"I'm very happy for the Iraqi people. Life is going to be safer now," said 35-year-old Yehya Hassan, a resident of Baghdad. "Now we can start a new beginning."

Earlier in the day, rumors of the capture sent people streaming into the streets of Kirkuk, a northern Iraqi city, firing guns in the air in celebration.

"We are celebrating like it's a wedding," said Kirkuk resident Mustapha Sheriff. "We are finally rid of that criminal."

"This is the joy of a lifetime," said Ali Al-Bashiri, another resident. "I am speaking on behalf of all the people that suffered under his rule."

In Tikrit, U.S. soldiers from the 4th Infantry Division, the unit that is responsible for security in Saddam's hometown, were smoking cigars after hearing the news of Saddam's capture.

Despite the celebration throughout Baghdad, many residents were skeptical.

"I heard the news, but I'll believe it when I see it," said Mohaned al-Hasaji, 33. "They need to show us that they really have him."

Ayet Bassem, 24, walked out of a shop with her 6-year-old son.

"Things will be better for my son," she said. "Everyone says everything will be better when Saddam is caught. My son now has a future."

After invading Iraq on March 20 and setting up their headquarters in Saddam's sprawling Republican Palace compound in Baghdad, U.S. troops launched a massive manhunt for the fugitive leader, placing a $25 million bounty on his head and sending thousands of soldiers to search for him.

Saddam's sons Qusai and Odai - each with a $15 million bounty on their heads - were killed July 22 in a four-hour gunbattle with U.S. troops in a hideout in the northern city of Mosul. The bounties were paid out to the man who owned the house where they were killed, residents said.

A Governing Council member, Jalal Talabani, told Iran's official news agency, IRNA, that Saddam's detention will bring stability to Iraq.

"With the arrest of Saddam, the source financing terrorists has been destroyed and terrorist attacks will come to an end. Now we can establish a durable stability and security in Iraq," Talabani was quoted as saying.

Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day.
post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 07:45 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: ML55, E320
RE: OT: Saddam Hussein captured

Now watch as the "old" Europeans and Russians realize that their chances of collecting the Saddam-era debts are gone, and their "principled" opposition to the war fades away. Mark my words. They'll start making overtures to participate in the rebuilding coalition by the end of January. Nothing breeds success like success.

post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 08:05 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: ML55, E320
RE: OT: I can hear the crying

coming from DNC headquarters, even as Iraqis dance in the streets of Baghdad. Dick "miserable failure" Gephardt is in his office at this moment, figuring out how to spin this as a negative for the President.

What "issues" do the Dem candidates have left to whine about? Bush and the mean old Republicans cut taxes, improved the economy, appropriated the Democrats' own education and prescription programs, freed the Iraqi people from 30 years of terror, and captured Saddam. Best of all, the terrorists, who we know for a fact are actively trying to kill us, haven't blown up one American bus, shopping mall, airplane, or building since our wake-up call over two years ago. We have brilliant homeland defense. We just don't hear about the successes. Don't think for a minute that nothing is happening. Every day that goes by without an attack is a credit to the thousands of people who protect us in anonymity.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 09:11 AM
Where's my auto-leveling?

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: '09 ML350, '03 E320, '99 E320 4Matic, '98 C280
RE: OT: I can hear the crying

Quote:
AdamNelson - 12/14/2003 9:05 AM

coming from DNC headquarters, even as Iraqis dance in the streets of Baghdad. Dick "miserable failure" Gephardt is in his office at this moment, figuring out how to spin this as a negative for the President.

What "issues" do the Dem candidates have left to whine about? Bush and the mean old Republicans cut taxes, improved the economy, appropriated the Democrats' own education and prescription programs, freed the Iraqi people from 30 years of terror, and captured Saddam. Best of all, the terrorists, who we know for a fact are actively trying to kill us, haven't blown up one American bus, shopping mall, airplane, or building since our wake-up call over two years ago. We have brilliant homeland defense. We just don't hear about the successes. Don't think for a minute that nothing is happening. Every day that goes by without an attack is a credit to the thousands of people who protect us in anonymity.
I just watched Mr. sourpuss himself Joe Leibermann (sp?) claim that he was always for removing Saddam from office. He said the gulf war was all about removing Saddam. - Funny I thought it was to free Quwait.

Ah the spin continues.

President Bush speaks at 12:00 eastern time.

Andy

Andy

2009 ML350, Iridium Silver, Ash MB Tex

P2: Rear Cam, 115V Outlet, Parktronic, Pwr Seats w/ 4-Way Lumbar w/ Mem Pwr Folding Mirrors, Comand w/ Navi & Voice Control, HD Radio w/ Satellite, + iPod/MP3 Interface, Harman/Kardon, Keyless-Go, Pwr Liftgate
Lighting Pkg: Bi-Xenon Headlamps, LED Tail Lamps, Headlamp Washers
Extras: Hitch, Running Boards, Chrome Door Handle Inserts
Mods: Tinted front windows, Sports Pedals

post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
RE: Saddam Hussein captured

Frankly, I would have been much more impressed if Bin Laden, who has actually committed crimes against the U.S., had been captured. Hopefully, this will lessen tensions in Iraq, but I wouldn't count on it.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 09:47 AM

RE: Saddam Hussein captured

Quote:
GermanStar - 12/14/2003 10:22 AM

Frankly, I would have been much more impressed if Bin Laden, who has actually committed crimes against the U.S., had been captured. Hopefully, this will lessen tensions in Iraq, but I wouldn't count on it.
Actually they (the US governement) are in possession of an authenticated document stating that the head hijacker in the September 11 attach was being directly trained by Saddams forces. If this is in fact true, then there is the smoking gun.

Andy

Andy

P2: Rear Cam, 115V Outlet, Parktronic, Pwr Seats w/ 4-Way Lumbar w/ Mem Pwr Folding Mirrors, Comand w/ Navi & Voice Control, HD Radio w/ Satellite, + iPod/MP3 Interface, Harman/Kardon, Keyless-Go, Pwr Liftgate

post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 2011 ML350 Bluetec; 2003 C240
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
AdamNelson - 12/14/2003 9:45 AM
Now watch as the "old" Europeans and Russians realize that their chances of collecting the Saddam-era debts are gone, and their "principled" opposition to the war fades away. Mark my words. They'll start making overtures to participate in the rebuilding coalition by the end of January. Nothing breeds success like success.
OT, but there are many worldwide - a majority I expect - who believe the US is no better than Saddam. Saddam was an evil bully but so are Mugabe and dozens of others - think our friends the Saudi government were democratically elected?

But the end does NOT justify the means. By using his method the US has lowered itself to his level. Invading a country just because you do not like the leader (and he has the oil you need), and lying about the reasons (WMD's anyone?) is exactly what bullies like Saddam did. Yes, sure, the US is big and mighty - but so was Hitler, and so was Saddam, and so are ordinary school bullies, and it did not make them right either. The US has lost the world's respect and personally I think that is a bad thing.

End of OT post!

MW

Michael, Oakville, Canada
www.michaelwillems.ca
2011 ML350 Bluetec - 2003 C240
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 10:31 AM

Quote:
mwillems - 12/14/2003 11:16 AM

OT, but there are many worldwide - a majority I expect - who believe the US is no better than Saddam. Saddam was an evil bully but so are Mugabe and dozens of others - think our friends the Saudi government were democratically elected?

But the end does NOT justify the means. By using his method the US has lowered itself to his level. Invading a country just because you do not like the leader (and he has the oil you need), and lying about the reasons (WMD's anyone?) is exactly what bullies like Saddam did. Yes, sure, the US is big and mighty - but so was Hitler, and so was Saddam, and so are ordinary school bullies, and it did not make them right either. The US has lost the world's respect and personally I think that is a bad thing.

End of OT post!

MW
MW,

I cannot resist the need to respond. The major difference between the US and the others that you have mentioned is we do not make the first move. We never make the first move. The US has a long history of turning the other cheek.

Many interperet our turning the other cheek or slowness to respond as a sign of weakness. This is not true, as Japan found out in WWII. Once awakened this sleeping giant has a mighty big stick, a terrible temper, and a powerful wallop. We went after Afganistan, and Iraq because of intellegence reports linking these countries to activities leading to the cowardly terrorist attacks on the US during September 11th.

It is interesting, how many countries around the world want our help and our dollars, and we continue to respond with that help and the cash. I wonder what they would be saying if we took an isolationist stance and said "f@%k'em" let solve their own problems and them drink their oil.

The US has enough oil to supply our needs for many years to come. All we have to do is just stop exporting that oil to other parts of the world.

Andy

Andy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in