Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 98 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,198 20.72%
Performance 1,031 17.83%
Prestige 1,369 23.67%
Safety 536 9.27%
Value 971 16.79%
Other 678 11.72%
Voters: 5783. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #971 of 1335 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2005 E-320 CDI Sedan, a W-211
Location: Murrieta, in Riverside County in Southern California
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob55 View Post
My '81 300SD usually runs between 25-30 mpg, and I have gotten as high as 35 mpg with it.
This wasn't an all-day trip, but it was about 140 miles or so, driving through mountain roads and freeways,
and initial fill and fill at the end of the trip were at the same filling station, same pump.

So yes, it CAN be done . . . but I wouldn't count on it all the time . . .
IF you would be able to repeat these findings time after time, then I would believe that such a high reading
of 35 mpg is possible, but with only one test, and a relatively short one at that
for only 140 miles? 'Mountain roads', meaning perhaps a lot of downhill?
IF there had been any uphill or climbing involved, there is no way any one
of the 300 Turbodiesels sold here would get that kind of fuel economy.
As I have said before, none of these older MBZ diesels 300Ds (turbodiesels as well as non-turbo models) all
of which came into this country with an automatic transmission without having a locking torque convertor
are capable of getting really high fuel economy. Too much loss of energy.
As an example, my 220D and my 240D with manuals would flat blow the doors
off of any 300D (non-turbo model) because of their automatic transmissions.
In other words, that fifth cylinder that the 300s have is wasted and that engines'
extra power is 'eaten-up' by the slippage of the automatic.
Now if someone were to have wanted to play that had the European or Gray Market model 300D with a manual, that would have been an entirely different outcome for sure.

That is why MBZ finally got the message and went to a locking T/C.
As late as the '99 E-300 DT, they still do not have them. I know 'cause I have had
two examples and also I had a friend who had one, and it did not lock up either.

DHG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #972 of 1335 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2011 E350 sport
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought my 2011 E350 because it was the only car I could find that did not have electric/hydraulic power steering. It has plain old hydraulic power steering and great road feel in the steering wheel. I traded in a 2010 Toyota avalon for it. The Avalon has electric/hydraulic power steering. All your steering inputs go through an ECM to the steering gear. There is no relationship between your steering wheel inputs and what the front tires do. There is also no feedback in the steering wheel. At first I thought it was me but after getting on some Toyota forums and seeing complaints about inadvertent lane changes and constantly having to fight to stay in lane at speed I realized it was the e/h steering. My son drove the car and expressed it best. He said it was like driving a car in a video game. You are steering by eye only with no feel coming through the steering wheel. The e/h systems do save 1 or 2 mpg by not having the engine drive a hydraulic pump, its electric, but it makes the cars very hard to drive.
post #973 of 1335 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Lightbulb Reality Check !

O.K. , now you have exposed your bias and lack of knowledge and experiance here as several have explained that over time , it is easily done , garner 32~ 36 MPG's out of an un modified W-126 300SD / SDL when traveling cross country .

You said you don't have the patience or whatever excuse to drive 60 MPH fixed , that doesn't mean others don't do it on a regular basis .

Further , your stick shift 240D might beat my slushbox OM617 engines across the intersection from a dead stop but , no way will it _ever_ keep up nor pass my OM617's , I know this as I rally my old Mercedes Diesels on a regular basis and many " Sports Cars "can't keep up much less your low power 240D regardless of stick or slushbox .

Instead of simply ignoring the facts , try to pay attention and learn ~ that's what open Forums are supposed to be all about ~ not you whining petulantly " it can't be done ! " over and over just because you don't know how to .

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-300 DT View Post
IF you would be able to repeat these findings time after time, then I would believe that such a high reading
of 35 mpg is possible, but with only one test, and a relatively short one at that
for only 140 miles? 'Mountain roads', meaning perhaps a lot of downhill?
IF there had been any uphill or climbing involved, there is no way any one
of the 300 Turbodiesels sold here would get that kind of fuel economy.
As I have said before, none of these older MBZ diesels 300Ds (turbodiesels as well as non-turbo models) all
of which came into this country with an automatic transmission without having a locking torque convertor
are capable of getting really high fuel economy. Too much loss of energy.
As an example, my 220D and my 240D with manuals would flat blow the doors
off of any 300D (non-turbo model) because of their automatic transmissions.
In other words, that fifth cylinder that the 300s have is wasted and that engines'
extra power is 'eaten-up' by the slippage of the automatic.
Now if someone were to have wanted to play that had the European or Gray Market model 300D with a manual, that would have been an entirely different outcome for sure.

That is why MBZ finally got the message and went to a locking T/C.
As late as the '99 E-300 DT, they still do not have them. I know 'cause I have had
two examples and also I had a friend who had one, and it did not lock up either.

DHG
post #974 of 1335 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2005 E-320 CDI Sedan, a W-211
Location: Murrieta, in Riverside County in Southern California
Exclamation Prove What You Claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
O K, now you have exposed your bias and lack of knowledge and experiance here as several have explained that over time,
it is easily done, garner 32 ~ 36 MPG's out of an un modified W-126 300SD / SDL when traveling cross country .

You said you don't have the patience or whatever excuse to drive 60 MPH fixed, that doesn't mean others don't do it on a regular basis .

[WHERE and WHEN did I say that? I do that often. Study my Fuelly!]

Further, your stick shift 240D might beat my slushbox OM617 engines across the intersection from a dead stop but, no way will it _ever_ keep up nor pass my OM617's , I know this as I rally my old Mercedes Diesels on a regular basis and many "Sports Cars" can't keep up much less your low power 240D regardless of stick or slushbox .

Instead of simply ignoring the facts, try to pay attention and learn ~ that's what open Forums are supposed to be all about ~ not you whining petulantly "it can't be done!" over and over just because you don't know how to.

-Nate
Talking is just that . . talking!

Well Nate, read for content (below). What I am saying and what this old man will do IF YOU WANT!

Since my older diesels (the 220Ds and the 240Ds All) are long gone now for more than 25 years, I cannot prove
anything to you. I had all of them when they were new and I well know what they could and did do then.
The 300Ds I raced were not the later (beginning 1981) turbo diesels, but the five (5) cylinder non-turbo 77 horsepower models
and they were very slow. I could pull away from them at any speed, from a dead stop up to and including high freeway speeds.
The automatics that they all came with in the US ate up the extra power of that fifth cylinder.

The 123 horsepower Turbocharged 300SDs were not much faster either.
I turbocharged my 1978 1457 CC Rabbit diesel and it could and did beat many W-126 Diesels.
I did not consider it to be a fast car either.

Since you do indicate that you are somewhat local, how about if we meet someplace and I fill the tank of my W-211
CDI and you fill up your older slush box automatic with no locking T/C and we have a little fuel economy contest?
You set the time, place, and the route and all the conditions to you liking. Okay?
We can fill up at a station I use regularly in Ontario and go towards Las Vegas and back to that same station.
I will follow you and you set the pace. What say you?

As far as driving at 60 mph for fuel economy, I have and IN FACT do it most all of the time!
How do you think I get the posted fuel economy which I am so proud of?
Oh, that's right, you have not bothered to check out my Fuelly?
BTW, where are your published reports for all to see?

If you bothered to read all of my posts for content, you might have concluded that I did not just come
to town and fall off the back of the turnip truck and have been around the block many many times.

I have owned eleven (11) MBZ diesels beginning in 1966 with my first, a used 1961 190 D/b, so you might maybe
understand or conclude I have that I have had a few. How many have you had and when did you start?

There is no way that any older slush box equipped MBZ diesel without a locking
Torque Convertor (T/C) can begin to approach the MPG readings you speak of.
My later model W-211 not only can, but does that and more on a regular basis time after time, and not only does
it do so regularly, but tank after tank, being driven in some stop and go city traffic but also on the
freeways with many cold starts and over several days, not just on a test on the highway only.

So IF you are so sure about your figures, let us meet and I will let you prove it to me.
I say again . .
THERE IS NO WAY YOUR OLDER AUTOMATIC EQUIPPED MBZ DIESEL CAN OR WILL GET 32 ~ 36 MPG's.
My CDI can and does do so (and better) all the time.
This is actual tank mileage (gallons used for miles traveled) and not computer readings which are inaccurate.

Will you prove what you are saying? I can and am willing to do so. How about you?

DHG
post #975 of 1335 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 2004 C230 Sedan
Mercedes was just one of the many options I was considering when I started looking for a new car in the Fall of 2003. Every car I had owned to that point was 2-door manual transmission. I test drove a manual transmission Mercedes and was underwhelmed. I went to another dealership to test drive a Saab but when I got there, I discovered they had changed and now only sold Mercedes. But I liked the sales guy and tried the C230 automatic and really liked it. After my parade of Japanese front-wheel drive cars I was ready for a something different, and I've never regretted it.
post #976 of 1335 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgaarder View Post
Mercedes was just one of the many options I was considering when I started looking for a new car in the Fall of 2003. Every car I had owned to that point was 2-door manual transmission. I test drove a manual transmission Mercedes and was underwhelmed. I went to another dealership to test drive a Saab but when I got there, I discovered they had changed and now only sold Mercedes. But I liked the sales guy and tried the C230 automatic and really liked it. After my parade of Japanese front-wheel drive cars I was ready for a something different, and I've never regretted it.
The Japanese are very competent car builders and they build cars completely without passion. Every Benz I've ever been in evokes something from the line's history and legacy. The Japanese build polite, reliable, tidy mechanisms of conveyance decorated to look like whatever the marketplace thinks it wants at that moment. I've owned Japanese cars, and I currently own a Japanese SUV. (Acura MDX). It's a remarkable, ultimately forgettable, reproduction of a luxury SUV.

2010 S550 Black on Black, AMG Package, Pano, Night Vision, Some other goofy crap I don't remember right now.

2004 S430 Pewter & Stone
18" Staggered Wheels, Full AMG Body kit Added, Hardwired V1, Infinity Basslink Subwoofer, mObridge Bluetooth/iPod. TRADED 8/13

2006 S500 Black/Java AMG Sport (Sold at 120k, Still Missed.)
post #977 of 1335 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1992 Mercedes 190e 2.6L
I bought my first Benz in Sept.,1992 190e 129,000miles. Looked at a few other cars and came across this one for $1900. I like it very much,got lucky with it being very clean and well cared for,and if I get rid of it,I'll buy another one.
post #978 of 1335 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2007 GL450; 2000 SL500 (AMG Sport); 1999 CL500;
Benz's, Buicks, Benz's

My first MB was the old "low-line" 1971 250/8, i.e. the first E-Class and most modern car of its time and in many respects, still modern. MB sold more W114's that all other MB's combined, since 1945- very popular for good reasons.

So owned:
2 W114's:
'71 250/8 Sedan, M130 - great car, I miss it,
'73 280CE Coupe, M110 - beautiful car, but DOHC bad engine in all respects (no power, horrible oiling system on cams- ate them like crazy, with "cheap" fix by the factoring.
W123: 1981 230 Sedan: M115 4 cyl engine. Loved the car and how it drove and very solid chassis. Terrible to tune- carb out of tune would not start. 4 cyl and got a firm 17mpg, just like the book. So great car, didn't like engine. OBTW, no power steering- bad for wife to drive, but lime green- safe color.
W201: Nice car, but can't remember why sold it.

Then the Buick period. Buick actually makes very good, reliable cars. Oh, lowest income period (can you say Jimmah Cahtah) and couldn't afford MB's.

So owned many Buick's including 2000MY Park Avenue Ultra with 260k miles. This car is good enough to be an MB- very strong chassis (5 star crash rating), fast, tracks great on highway, very quiet (better than MB), very good fuel economy- 27mpg Hwgy. Then GM walked away from the concept and lost me. I wouldn't take the replacement (Lucerne), if you gave it to me.

Then, got the Benz bug again, with of all cars, the R-Class (2006 R350). Quiet, Benz handling- nothing else in this class is close, very strong and safe, decent economy, terrific AWD (4matic- proven in bad Mich snow and ice!!), my 90yoa dad loved it, because easy to get in and out. Has great utility for hauling my boat stuff- great room inside. My 5' tall wife can drive it, but my 6'2" grandson has much room in the back.

I think the R350 is one of the most beautiful cars by MB decades ahead of time I say, while many hate it.
P.s., Jeep Grand Wagon and Dodge Durango are based directly on the R-Class and people love the J & D. They look more "conventional" (boxy).

This R350 saved my life, due to its phenomenal handling, when I was run fully off the road by a semi at midnight one Fall. All happened in 3 secs: He fully filled my lane, I pulled off on the shoulder, missing a ditch, and back on to miss phone poles. Like a drive in the park. No question but only a Benz could do that.

Latest: 2000MY SL500 AMG Sport (appearance, not power) R129 w/M113 engine. My first OMG car in my life! What a glorious car! Beautiful black ext, gray int., fast, handles like no other. Has staggered wheels (wider in back), tracks like on rails- best of any MB I have owned; 25mpg at 72mph, 23mpg at 80mph!

My wife's name is on the registration ("can I have it?" Yes, for her birthday).

Drives like a Buick, quiet and smooth when slow speeds, but then ferocious when you press down for power, and I have yet to get the high perf uni-directional tires to squeal or break loose- just corners faster and faster.

So in short, why back to MB's and will be for rest of my life:
1) Safe beyond all others,
2) Handles well at all speeds, so both sporty, cruiser at speed (say Autobahn), and safest handling in emergencies, as all my MB's have been.
3) Beauty- ahead of their time and timeless.
4) Value- take car of them and the miles matter not. Stay solid for ever. I may never sell my R350 and the SL I will have forever, as I don't like the newr ones (!?).
5) Prestige- yes, I will admit a sense of pride when seen in them. Many R classes in our area for some reason. Saw 3 in a row go by our sub. The SL is just a head turner. Another boat owner ignored us until he saw my wife in the SL, then all of a sudden, friendly!

Now looking for a W124 for a "driver", although the latest C's are great. Maybe an ECDI?

Long post, thanks for reading.
post #979 of 1335 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 1992 500 SL, 96,000kms, Midnight Blue, Goes like stink
Im a hotrodder from the age of 12 to my current age of 50. From a long line of hotrodders in fact. I have built around 20 cars and as many motorbikes. I went looking for something different earlier this year and i came accross the '92 500SL with 96k kms on her clocks. I loved the look, all the gadgets and over engineering. I had the owner put the top down and i took her for a ride..... about an hour later it was all i could do to leave her there for the night while i went home to await the bank to open in the morning.
The feeling, the sound, the power, the excellent build quality all made me fall in love with the old SL.
Nuff said.
post #980 of 1335 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 CLS550 tech package, parktronic
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdashton View Post
Im a hotrodder from the age of 12 to my current age of 50. From a long line of hotrodders in fact. I have built around 20 cars and as many motorbikes. I went looking for something different earlier this year and i came accross the '92 500SL with 96k kms on her clocks. I loved the look, all the gadgets and over engineering. I had the owner put the top down and i took her for a ride..... about an hour later it was all i could do to leave her there for the night while i went home to await the bank to open in the morning.
The feeling, the sound, the power, the excellent build quality all made me fall in love with the old SL.
Nuff said.
Post some pics! And glad you are enjoying the SL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in