Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 94 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,198 20.72%
Performance 1,031 17.83%
Prestige 1,369 23.67%
Safety 536 9.27%
Value 971 16.79%
Other 678 11.72%
Voters: 5783. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #931 of 1335 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It helps if you own the repair shop

I can see why they would not own a Lexus or Infiniti and prefer a MB. Your customers see what you drive, figure it's a smart buy and if it's a Lexus or Infiniti you get to see a lot lss of them. Get them to buy a Merc or Audi or BMW and you guarantee yourself a steady stream of repair work.

Smart.

Me, I've owned three Lexi (all EXTREMELY reliable and one, our 92 LS400, is still my winter "beater" that looks almost new and runs the same), one BMW 330i (OK, except for the vanos, power windows, rear strut supports), and now an E320 CDI that, at 31,000 miles, no winters, has decided that it wants to leak diesel when you fill the tank. My research tells me this is a common MB W211 problem and their is a NHTSA investigation on. Thank God I am under extended warranty as MB is refusing to do repairs out of warranty. Amazingly, my winter beater 113,000 mile 92 LS400 leaks NO fuel at all.

Got the E320 CDI because I wanted to try a diesel and Toyota/Lexus have none in the US. There are plenty of really stupid design features in the E320, but I figured that if they got the powertrain right, that was all I really needed. I did not expect MB (with all those patents) to screw up a fuel tank seal. Silly me.

- CitizenX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydpg View Post
I've known two men from opposite ends of the country who both owned prestiege used car garages.

They tried every type of car available from :

BMW
Porsche
Maserati
Bentley
Audi
Range Rover
Lexus
Mercedes

What did they have in common :

They both owned one car

Both Mercedes, because when you have tried everything nothing compares to a large Mercedes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1335 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: Lots of collector cars from the 50's to present
So, if I had to rate the voting it would go as follows
1 Looks
2 Performance
3 Prestige
4 Safety
Never for reliability or Value, you can throw those out of the equation

Lexus

Reliability a value only, they do not carry and prestige

BMW

Performance, sort of prestigious in the Higher models, value not so much

Jaguar

Performance and prestige and but not very reliable and not a good value.

Porsche

ALL of the above, they only just in the past few years have been making exceptional cars so, I would say you get the entire package from them.
post #933 of 1335 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2005 E-320 CDI Sedan, a W-211
Location: Murrieta, in Riverside County in Southern California
Question Leaking Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenX View Post
. . . and now an E320 CDI that, at 31,000 miles, no winters, has decided that it wants to leak diesel when you fill the tank. My research tells me this is a common MB W211 problem and their is a NHTSA investigation on. Thank God I am under extended warranty as MB is refusing to do repairs out of warranty.

Got the E320 CDI because I wanted to try a diesel and Toyota/Lexus have none in the US. There are plenty of really stupid design features in the E320, but I figured that if they got the powertrain right, that was all I really needed. I did not expect MB (with all those patents) to screw up a fuel tank seal. Silly me.

- CitizenX
Interesting. I own one and have not heard of any such problem(s) with the fuel tank having any leaks of any kind!
Where are you hearing such stupid stories?

I figure IF there were such problems, I would have read about them by now.

Please tell us how and where you read about such a problem.

DHG
post #934 of 1335 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I rate Mercedes in my experience for: Looks, Quality of construction(Even a C-Class is superior vs other cars in its price range), fun to drive, the MB heritige and prestige,the handling and feeling of solidity, design and creativity, safety(Been involved in a accident in a S-Class and walked away 100% fine), reliability has been great in all of them owned. The MB that we had that was a lemon still never left me on the side of the road.

Of course being a high end car they lack value. If you are a value shopper drive a Lexus and shop at Walmart.... You have to pay to play
post #935 of 1335 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1984 380 SL, 2000 Saturn LS, '92 Virago 750
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have never, ever, given a rat's ass about cars. I have no brand loyalty, I have always owned the most reliable, gas friendly car I could find at the time I was looking, the only constraints being budgetary. The only new car I ever purchased and I ended up buying 2 in a row was the little Mazda truck B2000. My first car? A 1962 Chevy II, with cardboard floorboards. (New England, 16 years old, $250 to spend, but I didn't know about the floorboards until that winter) Current car? A 2000 Saturn rebuilt from a total with 80k miles at $3500. I've always thought it utter madness for people to spend what amounts to a mortgage on a vehicle, BUT....
I did always say that if money were no object, were I wealthy beyond counting, I would have the top of the line Mercedes SEL, black on black.
I am none of the above, but when I saw the 380SL convertible for sale for weeks and weeks at the end of my road, I had to stop.
True, it is not the t.o.l sedan, but mein Gott, what a classy, solid, glam ride. For $5500 I bought my (almost) dream car and I've not regretted it a day.

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?
post #936 of 1335 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: Lots of collector cars from the 50's to present
Congratulations on your SL

Great car. Nice looking and fun to drive. Had a 560 SL back in 86 new was an amazing car. Only thing I do find they are know for gas smell. Make sure you keep up with the Evap system and the fuel lines. Other than that I don't think they break. That is when quality was number one.
post #937 of 1335 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Post 380SL

You'd best get a dental mirror and peer in the left rockerbox to see if it has the original crappo single row or duplex timing chain before the single row chain snaps and ruins not only your day but the car as the repairs exceed the car's value .......

R-107 Series Mercedes are very nice indeed , fun to drive and pass out the Porsche guys in the twisty bits .

I miss my Euro Spec. W-107 350SLC stick shift Coupe , not so much the fuel bills .

-Nate
Old German cars & motos
vintage car mechanic
Gearhead
post #938 of 1335 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Just a silly poll, I'm sure most have several reasons for their choice, but which was the most important factor in making your decision?
The wealtiest man I know, when asked about his new mercedes, told me;
"Son, it's the cheapest car I've ever had." (it was his first merc. and had it for about a year and a half) I asked him what he meant, and his reply was; " I'da worn out 3 cadillacs in this time."

Thanx,
Shorty.

"If you set out to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
post #939 of 1335 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Hobby / Learning

Bought the mercedes to learn mechanics.

I have overhauled cooling system, restored some interior, and am working on the steering.

Parts are hard to find, being an early model. 1977.

I think it will make a good sale eventually.
post #940 of 1335 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1988 300E, 1999 S320
I bought mine because both history and cars are my main hobbies. The main thing I was looking for in a car was something with historical pedigree, and what company has a better one and reputation than Mercedes-Benz (not to mention its one of my favorite car companies). Plus, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

"Go ahead, make my day"

1988 300E 138k
Color: 877 - petrol blue green metallic, Interior: 275 - mushroom leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in