Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,198 20.72%
Performance 1,031 17.83%
Prestige 1,369 23.67%
Safety 536 9.27%
Value 971 16.79%
Other 678 11.72%
Voters: 5783. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 1335 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:03 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I arrived in Virginia and since this was my first spot stateside after 10 years of service overseas I figured I needed a car. I drove through town and saw that symbol of pride, Benz.. I drove an armored Benz overseas for 4 years doing protection, 2 SL and an E class. Even got to goto the factory outside of Frankfurt. It was quite hard to drive anything else. So now sitting in my garage is a 2007 capri blue C230 sport. I am not to happy since I commute through D.C and know my car has taken quite a bit of damage from road construction but I take care of it as best as possible. The wife and I think and probably know that there will be no other car parked in the driveway unless I some how become wealthy and purchase a Lamborghini Reventon.
As the expression says "Engineered like no other car in the world"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 1335 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
haha

Heretic e55 has the best answer, that was funny. I would have to agree mercedes makes my life complete. I have owned a e320 96' sold and currently a 02' clk430 and it is a amzing car to drive in the any season as long as there is no snow .

but for me the main thing was prestige and performance considering i was coming from a e320 a 430 was a big upgrade.

Best of luck with all your mercedes

Benzadiktion
post #83 of 1335 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
Tradition

I grew up around a Benz and a migty Benz it was. My dad was a lover of all things mechanical and we had an interesting collection of what we called antique (know known as classic) cars along with our daily drivers. He tore them apart and "tinkered" late into the night on various projects. When we was in his 40s he began to "sniff around the Star" . Im sure he wrestled with the concept of owning a German can for much longer than that. Being a WWII veteran he had a struggle accepting anything German but I believe the engineering won him over. Knowing him as I grew to later, He probably was making this decision to buy a Benz for years. He was agonizingly slow at closing the deal. One afternoon we went for a ride to chase down a car he saw advertised in the paper. That happened most Saturdays but this time it was a Benz that sat in the driveway. It was a 66 250 euro version...I know now from a vivid recollection of those "wierd" headlights.. My dad seemed delighted in the car expecially the fact that the English language was useless around it...everything in German..I dont know why that appealed to him..perhaps he felt like he'd just captured sone German heavy ordinance..
The car came hime with us but not for long. Before the year was out he had parked the 66 at the curb beside our local Benz dealer and was closing a deal on something altogether amazing. Later that week he took delivery on perhaps the greated automobile Ive ever ridden in mush driven. a 1970 6.3 SEL. From that point on my understanding of what makes a car great was measured against the 6.3. He drove and maintained it until religiously. I rode in it several times but never was allowed to drive it. As I grew up, started my own life and moved away that 6.3 was never far from my heart. He put it in storage and left it there for almost 20 years, never failing to start it weekly and run it through the gears. Mercedes ownership was a goal of mine but the realities of a family edged it out every time. Finally a few years ago I had set aside a small amout of money that was not already spent and I fouind my first benz! Its a euro(imagine that) 1981 500 SEL. There is something about those euro benz's..despite its age it runs like a cruise missle..so for me its inbred I guess. As a footnote, my Dad passed away two years ago and left me his 6.3. I just got it back from the shop with a nice new coat of paint..I gotta feeling he's smiling somewhere.
marvinlee likes this.
post #84 of 1335 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG-(19'inch Mandrus Millenium wheels),1998 Infinity I30
Post Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic E55 View Post
I have had 2 Benzes. I bought mine because I like to go fast and be comfortable doing it. I have had many "hot Rods" and sports cars in the past. The comprimise in ride quality and comfort in my previous cars left me yearning for a better machine. I found it in My mercedes Benz E55. Plus, I like using my hood ornament as a bulls-eye or "target sight". That way I can zero in on lesser cars and make them understand the AMG badge on the trunk.Also, I like the way people shake their heads in dismay when they see a long-haired psycho jamming SLAYER in his beloved Benz. Mature couples look at each other like, "why are we in a Taurus and that dirt merchant is in that Mercedes?" Priceless. Happy Holidays, Brian
This is my kinda guy. I couldn't have written a better reason to own one of these cars for me. My first was a lil 1992 190E, I was like 20 years old and traded it year later for a Camry, yeah horrible decision. Eight years later I manage to get my hands on a 2002 C32 AMG and I love this car. Took it to a drag track and spanked a few cobra's, an SRT Stage 2, and a cute Nissan 350z. Good day, these guys had on helmets and did all that prep tire smoking. Just to let the only four door automatic spank that butt all day. Quitely might I add. Well worth the alternator a blew that day. Good thing a good buddy of mine is a benz mech. Otherwise I coudn't afford to maintain it, lol. Sometimes I in the middle of the night I go in my garage and talk to it. Good times.

Ladies! My Mercedes! Holds 3 in the back, 2 if ya fat.
post #85 of 1335 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 06 CLS 55 AMG, 95 acura legend, 07 toyota supra.
Send a message via AIM to 1stCLSAMG Send a message via Yahoo to 1stCLSAMG
I got mine cuz I'm only 19 and nobody thinks I could have 1...
So I got a CLS AMG.just to prove them alll wrong...and look at their faces when I pull up in something they couldn't drive if they wanted to.
post #86 of 1335 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 12:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 07 slk280
I wanted a hard top convertible. Plus i love the way the slk looks.
post #87 of 1335 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: '87 560SEC, '85 500SEC; '85 500SEL parts car, '84 300SD parts car, Euro '85 500SEC parts car
Got into Mercedes by accident

Always been a tinkerer. I happened upon a non-running 380SEL and bought it really cheap. I got it running, drove it around and loved it. Didn't like the looks. Then, along came a 560SEC... Love the looks, the sound and the way it drives. Doors close like a bank vault. A pure joy to work on, too!
post #88 of 1335 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Why? It's only money.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #89 of 1335 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes 300E
best car I've had

I bought my 1990 300E only because at the time, I was looking for a sedan, and the other cars in my price range were crap. I saw the ad, checked out the car, test piloted it, and had to have it. The previous owner had taken very, very good care of it, so for the money...how could I pass it up? Every time I drive it, I'm glad I chose Benz as my next car. Even though it's a bit older, it's still way better than my Pontiac before it, and my Honda before that, and my Toyota before that...solid, reliable, quick when I need it to be ( although the throttle is slow to respond ), so very comfortable, the doors really do "close like a bank vault", and it's nice to have the prestige, I'll admit...I actually get respect from the older folks when I step out of it. It's not why I bought the car, but...I could get used to it
post #90 of 1335 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

bling factor! gotta admit it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in