Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 89 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,198 20.72%
Performance 1,031 17.83%
Prestige 1,369 23.67%
Safety 536 9.27%
Value 971 16.79%
Other 678 11.72%
Voters: 5783. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #881 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2005 E-320 CDI Sedan, a W-211
Location: Murrieta, in Riverside County in Southern California
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation A Good Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
Sadly ;

Few Dealer mechanics care to do anything other than Flat Rate parts changing in order
to make nearly $100,000/year for the 20 odd years they can keep up the pace.

I'm proud to not be an uncaring boob like that. Yesterday I spent several hours sorting out the taillights,
brake lights and turn signals for a Vintage car owner who'd foolishly messed with the wires.

Everyone standing around watching me, kept insisting I cut wires, install splices etc. etc. when all that was needed was to spend some time sorting out what faded no color code wire went where.

In the end, everything worked *perfectly* like it did in 1959 again and no one can tell I was there.

I intensely dislike leaving "Mechanics Marks".
Good for you!

Such excelent mechanics are indeed hard to find, especially nowadays.

When I took my used 2005 CDI down to the dealership where it had been serviced for almost
seven years and asked the service writer what had been done and what was needed to be
done, I got "It had the 'spark plugs' changed at 103k miles but they should be cleaned now."
This after showing him the new injector I had recently changed out myself because of the
dreaded 'black death'.
So I have now way to tell if the tranny has ever been serviced, etc.!

Now because they have people like that working there and they will NOT give me the service
history or my car,
although there is at least one good tech. I talked there, I will not go near the place.
Imagine, it had the failed thermostat that so many CDIs seem to have and no one had noticed?
How hard is it to glance at the temperature gauge and notice that it is not moving above 40 degrees C.?

There is absolutely no comparison between Riverside and the original servicing dealer in Escondido.
The differences between those dealerships is like night and day.
Riverside bends over backwards to do everything correctly the first time, but the folks
at Escondido could not care less. 'Sparks plugs' in a diesel? You get the picture.
$435 to install a small Satallite radio antenna including $125 just to paint it?
Perhaps you may understand why I go to Riverside for everything now.

Speaking of that 1959 190, I had a (used) 1961 190 D/b in 1966 that the entire wiring harness had to be replaced because it burned all the way up to the ignition switch.
Lived in Santa Monica at that time, and the local dealership there on Wilshirer Blvd. did a good job.
Only took 'em one week, but the wiring harness had to be sent from Germany so that was not bad at all.
Insurance paid for the entire job except for the switch which they said caused the fire.
That did not cause the fire but that's an entirely different story all by itself.
So all I paid for was a new switch, about $30 IF I recall correctly. I felt I came out like a bandit at that time.

Carry on.

Do you work privately on customers' cars?

DHG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #882 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Post Routine Service

I closed my shop some years ago , now I'm crippled (dangit) so I can barely work on my own vehicles , most of my old fleet has been sold off .

I'm still very active in my various Clubs though (Journeyman Mechanics are welcome everywhere) & Mike's uneducated wife was whining that no one was looking at his car , I waited to see if anyone else would step in before attacking it , as I've been a Dealer , Used Car , Field , Municipal , Junkyard and Salvage - Reconstruct Journeyman Mechanic , I came to grips with electrical mayhem years ago , it still seems to follow me around no matter how hard I try to hide . I take the job *very* seriously .

If you were to see my old 300CD , you'd think it just another beater waiting to be scrapped , however , follow me on the many Road Rallies I love to do and it's a whole 'nother ball game .

I've had way more Vehicles in my life than I should have I suppose because I usually buy cast offs or junk and rebuild it to suit , then I get bored & sell off at a dead loss and begin again ~ my two big brothers had been pushing me to try Diesels since 1977 when they both bought wretched VW Rabbit Diesel Coupes and loved them to death .

SWMBO got me to buy a Mercedes Diesel because " her girlfreind has one and it's great " , I firmly believe in " Happy Wife , Happy Life " so I rustled up a sweet deal on a one owner '82 240D we still have , 360,000 and it's still going strong , engine and tranny are both kaputi but it gets 21 ~ 26 MPG's InTown with the AC on and 30 ~ 36 MPG's crusing across the Desert fully loaded with 5 people and boot filled with luggage , AC on..... only 60 MPH of course but I like to sightsee .

If you like to zoom around in a Classic Mercedes , Dennis here of this very list , has a nice old W-123 280 Sedan Euro Spec. with manual gearbox ~ if I could handle the fuel costs (15 MPG , 800 miles / week) I'd grab it but I have three Mercedes Diesels , a shop truck and a Metropolitan Nash Fixed Head Coup so no room for anymore toys .

It'd make prolly the very best " Sleeper " road burning you'll ever own and cheaply too .

-Nate
Old German cars & motos
vintage car mechanic
Gearhead
post #883 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1997 E320
Send a message via Skype™ to Hello Kitty MB
Sad day in my life, Some badnick Ford truck rear ended my poor 1997 Gold E320 a month ago. We were minding our own business, cruising to work in comfort..when WHAM!

Launched into uncoming traffic..i recovered the steered my poor dear over to the side of the road, got out and gasped..then cried! Then i shook for 5 minutes.

Her rear end was mashed! I however, was locked into my seat..i see the SRS went off and the seatbelt locked me into place..and i didnt even notice! I am safe and sound, my car? The engine was running smooth as ever..we limped to the reporting centre were tagged and told to go report to insurance...gasp...1997 E320 with 294000 klms is a total right off to insurance companies..i did note..i DROVE to the reporting centre, drove home, drove to the mechanic and she would have been driven unto the gasp..tow truck!

I cried a tear for my first car! My MB loving mechanic..helped me strip all my hello kitty gear and salvaged as many of the newly replaced and expensive parts including the beloved hood ornament which sits glowing on my computer desk!

i am now a fan of MB forever! I refused to get a tiny cheap car..i got 4000 for her and figured if i hunted i could replace her..and i did.."HELLO" the new/old 1997 Grey/Grey E320 with cd player and high end sound system...less milage and a shiny paint job..a purring engine..and a very happy lady..who now is paranoid about them tailgaters!

Case in point..MB number 2! ive been driving for 1.5 years and have owned two of them already..wow..in any event..im safe, and happy and the maintenance is very easy on my single girl pocketbook!

She has been dressed in my standard pink accents, hello kitty mats, pink air tire caps, and my fierce anime kitty on the dash..winking at all who pass.

Pink and grey..much better than gold and pink..lol but love is love!

No other car will allow you to drag your sad tired self into the front seat and leave feeling like you just had a nap with your eyes open! lol

There endeth my update on why i bought my newish MB! Dad said im addicted! I say, im practical!

Whose to judge?

For a girl who likes to be safe, i am content!

Go kitty, may you rest in peace!

Hellooooo Nurse! May we prosper!

haaaa!
post #884 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
Exclamation The Wreck

Sad that happened , glad you were driving a Mercedes so you were not hurt ~ it gave it's life that you may drive another Classic Mercedes...

-Nate
Old German cars & motos
vintage car mechanic
Gearhead
post #885 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1997 E320
Send a message via Skype™ to Hello Kitty MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
Sad that happened , glad you were driving a Mercedes so you were not hurt ~ it gave it's life that you may drive another Classic Mercedes...

Indeed, my friend, she indeed gave her life for me
post #886 of 1335 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: Present Stable = '09 CLS 550, '88 560SL ,'06 LR3 HSE,
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Well, when Chevy stopped making the VEGA and Ford the PINTO....I kinda felt my options were running out...in terms of lasting value hence MERCEDES
post #887 of 1335 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 SL 500
Finally got to the point I could enjoy some of the finer things in life. Had a Jag XK8 I thought was nice UNTIL I drove a SL500. The ride, solid feel, and quietness sold me on it.
post #888 of 1335 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Post Vs. Jags

I hear you ~

An elderly friend of mine is English and also a Journeyman Mechanic , his favorite ride is an early Jag. MKII ~ maybe a '62 , it has a later model 6 cylinder engine and it simply RIPS the roads up , in spite of no rear seat as he carries a full Mechanic's kit in the beack seat area including a trolly jack ~ occasionally we'll battle it out on the twisty canyon roads , his Jag can out run my Mercedes 300CD Coupe but I still prefer my Mercedes.....

Just this morning I hummed it up The Harbor Freeway @ 0-Dark:30 on the way to work , passing everything else on the road like a rabbit in a thicket , once it's past 85 MPH the lack of muffler makes it just HUM .

-Nate
Old German cars & motos
vintage car mechanic
Gearhead
post #889 of 1335 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1973 450sl
Lifetime Premium Member
My wife wanted a car to show with my 47 Plymouth coupe. And she always like the look of the old 450sl roadsters. Saw one at a cruise nite for sale, price reasonable. Now we have a his and hers cars to show. Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes side view.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	449141  
post #890 of 1335 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:00 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Post SL Suspension

Sweet car ! .

Be smart and take it to a Garage ASAP and get it on the hoist & closely check the K memeber that holds all the various suspension bits , for cracks ~ they fail without warning quite often , no need to drive the car sportingly .

When it fails , a wheel will fall off , very dangerous .

You should also have the valves adjusted and fuel filter changed right away as failure to do so every 12 months or 10,000 miles will (not might) begin an incredibly expen$ive downward spiral of D-Jet fuel injection death .

-Nate
Old German cars & motos
vintage car mechanic
Gearhead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in