Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 70 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,197 20.73%
Performance 1,029 17.82%
Prestige 1,368 23.69%
Safety 536 9.28%
Value 968 16.76%
Other 676 11.71%
Voters: 5774. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #691 of 1332 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:54 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live and learn. I had no idea that there was a car out there that costs more to repair than a Merc. Makes me feel a little bit better - I think.
Sponsored Links
post #692 of 1332 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: Mercedes 300E 2.8 160K miles
You guys and the new ones. That's why I go '79-'95, so I can fix 'em myself. Looking at picking up '82 300SD w/109K miles for 2K this week end. Nice inexpensive bullet proof 126 diesel! Doesn't need anything, just get in and go! Nothing more reliable and cost effective wearing a Tri Star!!!
post #693 of 1332 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 2011 E350
Its's not only the absolute cost, but the things that shouldn;t wear so quickly and carry such crazy cost. In my case, it was the A6 control arms in the fornt suspension, of which there are eight. In each end of each arm are the bushings and the bushing wear pretty quickly on rough New England roads. But the bushings are not separately replaceable like bushings of old, so when one goes, the whole arm must be replaced. And, once one bushing has loosened even a little, the extra movement trashes the others even faster. And, getting all of the arms out and replaced is quite a mechanic's project!

The E350 doesn't handle as well as the A6, but I'll accept that if the front end stays together longer for me.
post #694 of 1332 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 1985 190E 2.3-16
My recent acquisition is an 85 190 2.3-16 Cosworth. Saw it sitting in a barn, covered with dust, and just fell in love with the looks, so much more appealing than the typically overdone sports sedan. This one is... just right.

Performance? Okay, not that good by today's standards, but be serious - we have speed limits and financial penalties from the insurance companies. I got the Cossie Merc because it was handsome, unusual, known to turn corners quickly, and for what they sell for these days, it was a (relative) bargain. Some people decry the dogleg 5 speed, I relish it. That's what real race cars have.

I may not out accelerate the local ricers, but in the style department, this little beauty wins hands down. It's a classic in waiting, unlike the stamped from a cookie cutter throwaways most people drive. And it feels so much more solid.

Now, if I can just get the darn thing to run... fuel system seems to have died during its two year hibernation...
post #695 of 1332 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2007 Mercedes C 230 Sport Sedan
Because in the longrun, MB isn't just about prestige. It's about reliability, quality in engineering, & frankly in my humble opinion it's the best mix of what a true luxury/sport sedan should be.

I've been driving for 22yrs, owned 19 vehicles prior to buying my first Benz, & in the short time I've owned my Mercedes I will never forget my neighbor, who was also a good friend, selling me on the Mercedes-Benz in Name, quality, & most importantly his well thought out explanation of why a Mercedes is cheaper to own than most other sedans in even lesser classes than my Mercedes Luxury/Sport Sedan.

One of the most helpful tools I found when looking for a car & prior to buying my Mercedes was Edmunds.com's "true cost of vehicle ownership" comparison guide (a car testing/review company that operates a magazine/website & other media).

You might not believe it until you look it up but even the infamous Honda Accord & it's luxury counterpart the Acura have a higher annual cost to own over a 5 year period than does my Mercedes Sedan, and this take into account the fact that the initial cost of the Mercedes is higher than either the Acura or the Honda (by quite a bit too). It calculates repairs, gas mileage, reported mechanical problems/issues (by consumers, mechanics & even the factory), and takes that along with normal maintenance issues & shows you a true cost analysis to own a particular vehicle.

It's worth checking your car out as you might find some things that will surprise you!

I'd trade in my wife before I trade in my Mercedes-Benz, AND THAT'S A FACT!

post #696 of 1332 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 500SL '94 or is it??
Ok I think I'll throw in the towel.
I dumped thousands of dollars into maintaining this SL500.
After I pay ANOTHER $2500 to get it out of the shop I plan to sell it.
It was fun but it's over, I bought a Honda coupe as a replacement.
post #697 of 1332 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Vehicle: 2005 C230 Kompressor
Because when i was walking the lot, it spoke to me...
post #698 of 1332 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 92 300E SPORTLINE (294K)
Send a message via AIM to mojo6969 Send a message via Yahoo to mojo6969
Originally Posted by rareslider View Post
I've got a 1982 300D turbo diesel.
This will be my first automatic (grrr)
but the reliability and ease of working on these cars won me over.
I had an 84 300D. Loved it. Until the tranny wouldn't shift up from 2nd to 3rd. Sold it for like 6 or $700 because I didn't know it was the B2 piston for $25-30 fix. But now I know if I have problems with my 2 124's I have (91 300CE coupe M104 motor with 184K on the clock, and my 92 300E M103 motor with 293K on the clock) I know the reliability these cars have to go a looooooooong way.
post #699 of 1332 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2006 cls 55 amg
Did you know Continental tires have 12 month free replacement warren tie

Free Replacement Period:
If an eligible Continental brand passenger or light truck tire becomes
unserviceable from a condition other than those listed under Section
5 during the first 12 months or first 2/32nds (1.6mm) of treadwear
(whichever comes first) it will be replaced with a comparable** new
Continental brand tire FREE OF CHARGE, including mounting and
balancing. Owner pays all applicable taxes.
For more info and adjustments.

Edit: any repeat of this blatant commercial advertising will result in a permanent ban

Last edited by RedLiner; 02-26-2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: SPAMMING with adverts
post #700 of 1332 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Vehicle: 2002 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
Prestige at first, then the performance

Being a new lawyer, I wanted a car that reflected the early success I have realized as well as something I could zip around town in faster than my four-banger truck. I wanted a convertible, and have always been drawn to Porsches. Having a set budget, I was choosing between an early 2000s Carrera or a later model Boxster. Then I ran across my black CLK55 AMG. Just looking at it made me think "this is the car for me." Then I did some research on the AMGs, their history, reliability, and performance. Not only did I find a car that would be more comfortable than the Porsches, but this car was actually 100 bhp more powerful than the Boxsters.

Since childhood, I thought Porsche was the brand for me. After owning my Merc for about six weeks, I'm sold on the brand in every category!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: