Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 57 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,197 20.73%
Performance 1,029 17.82%
Prestige 1,368 23.69%
Safety 536 9.28%
Value 968 16.76%
Other 676 11.71%
Voters: 5774. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #561 of 1332 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: W210 E240 ('00)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd elaborate a little on my original post.

Malaysia is perhaps one of the places on Earth where cars are very highly priced, compared to GDP Per Capita etc etc.

As a point of reference, a (admittedly highly specced) W212 E300 Avantgarde today costs approximately US$140,000, on-the-road without insurance.

I don't know what it costs in the US, but I'm quite sure it does not cost that much.

Consider also that the Malaysian GDP Per Capita is US$14,800 (cf. the USA at $46,900) and you get an idea of how 'luxurious' a proposition owning a Mercedes Benz in Malaysia is.

Given this, a 10 year old W210 E240 that can be had for $30,000 or less represents very good value, considering the build quality, and high level of features found in the car.

The other key 'value' factor relates to maintenance and cost of ownership - in that, especially with the older MB's, spare parts are affordably priced, and there are many workshops and service centres (non-MB) who can tend to these cars perfectly well.

While cars like the Lexus (which have only recently come into the market here - Toyota's are really the common brand in this country) may be very well built automobiles (we'll put aside the issues of late with accelerators etc), they are not yet widely found/established to have a solid 'service community' - therefore, ownership/maintenance of a Lexus comes at a high premium.

In the context that I'm providing then - the value I speak of relates to the older but well maintained models - which give great value for money.

Yes... the prestige element comes into the mix of course.

If you could have a used MB in great condition for $30k, or a new Toyota Camry for $50,000 - which would be the more appealing option? ... assuming you're not hell-bent of having a new car of course!

Me? I'm loving my 'old new car'!

Originally Posted by nopcbs View Post
Value means different things to different people, but if it is reliability that you want, you are sipping at the wrong well with either MB or BMW. You want reliability in the higher-priced brands, you want a Lexus or Infiniti or Acura.
- nopcbs
Sponsored Links
post #562 of 1332 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Where's the option: b/c my wife had to have it?
post #563 of 1332 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:43 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: Mercedes E220 CDI Elegance
Smile My wife told me to get one!!

Well not quite true.....but we now have our second Merc', an E220 CDI Elegance (Dec 2006) Iridium Silver with leather interior and all the toys that us fellas like to play with! What can I say about it....brilliant! Bought second hand here in the UK less than 2 years old with just 21000 miles on the clock. Faultless through and through. Servicing is a bit expensive but that's just one of the things you have to live with. First Merc was a C200 Kompressor which we had for five years, once again no real problems to shout about. For me I love the comfort and space of the E class and to have such a quiet car that will sit on a motorway at high speed for hours on end is just great. Dover to Barcelona on one and a half tanks of fuel...cruising at 130kph (That's the legal limit anyway!!) Worked out at just over 58mpg!
Wife wants an S class next!!
Regards to the world.
Phil Primrose. England
post #564 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1978 450SL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
since you asked...

after rearing 5 kids and driving 'YMCA' passenger vans for 15 years, drooling every time I saw a Benz or LandRover or various American muscle cars drive by me...it was a race against my spouse to see who got their 'dream car' into the garage first, after our nest emptied out.

I had a 64 1/2 Mustang in my dreams, and he had a 65 Shelby Cobra (FFR-MKii) in his dreams....and he won. He got his in the garage first, and that crushed my dream. But only momentarily.

I thought back on the cars I had loved since I played with hot wheels (still have) and realized I needed a 450 SL...the one from my jr high and high school memories

I bought this ~sight unseen~ only a few weeks ago, and I'm in love! Even my husband likes to drive it!!! Of course, nothing beats the sound and smell of burnt exhaust from the Cobra's side pipes, except maybe the smell of clean carpets & booming bass from the fabulous sound system in my 450 SL

thanks for letting me share....compromise makes a marriage work
Attached Images

North Texas ~ 1978 450SL
compromise & a multi-car garage makes a marriage work
I've met men on the internet & lived to tell about it ~ GTG @ Rowdies
post #565 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:44 PM
BenzWorld Member
Vehicle: 2007 SL 550, 50th Anniversary Edition
Love the looks of the SL, both with the top up or down.
post #566 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:45 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 300E
I chose "Other" because there wasn't an "All of the above" choice. My 190 is my first Benz and will definitely not be my last. I love its style, comfort, quality, performance, safety, engineering and the prestige factor doesn't hurt either!
post #567 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:46 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Vehicle: 1980 280CE Englischrot
I saw the car online, I liked the look.
I saw the interior, fell in love. I sat inside, drove, and it was just absolutely f***ing cool.

A must buy.
post #568 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1997 40th anniversary edition sl500
Lifetime Premium Member
I always liked german cars I had a bmw when I was younger. I wanted to get myself a birthday gift that I would really like. I also wanted to get a fixer uper to work on in my spare time. this car is not my daily driver but I seem to be using it more than I thought I would. SL 500 1997 40th anniversary roadster.
post #569 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Vehicle: 02 SLK32 AMG
I bought mine because my husband cheated with a 20 year old while stationed in Korea... made me feel alot better :-) No, seriously I wanted one for quite a while and I love German cars... but the affair was the catalyst for buying it when I did
post #570 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Vehicle: 2010 Steel Grey, E350 Coupe, fully loaded
Just bought my first MB 2 months ago. 2010 E350 coupe fully loaded. Out the door it was $61,500. Doesn't ride as smooth and stable as I expected and it also lacks get up and go having only a little 6 cylinder in it. I'm considering asking the dealer if they will buy it back. I would prefer something more sporty and with better performance. It has less than 400 miles on it. Been under cover in the garage mostly. Never seen rain nor has anyone ever ridden in the back seat. Not sure what I really want but I did do allot of homework and looking before I made this purchase. Unfortunately I feel I have made a major mistake.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: