Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 38 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,198 20.72%
Performance 1,031 17.83%
Prestige 1,369 23.67%
Safety 536 9.27%
Value 971 16.79%
Other 678 11.72%
Voters: 5783. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #371 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:35 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 2000 ML 430, (sold) 1990 350 SDL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Prestige plus I fit well in the ML. I'm a tall guy at 6'7".

-andy zimm-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #372 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Plus 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic E55 View Post
I have had 2 Benzes. I bought mine because I like to go fast and be comfortable doing it. I have had many "hot Rods" and sports cars in the past. The comprimise in ride quality and comfort in my previous cars left me yearning for a better machine. I found it in My mercedes Benz E55. Plus, I like using my hood ornament as a bulls-eye or "target sight". That way I can zero in on lesser cars and make them understand the AMG badge on the trunk.Also, I like the way people shake their heads in dismay when they see a long-haired psycho jamming SLAYER in his beloved Benz. Mature couples look at each other like, "why are we in a Taurus and that dirt merchant is in that Mercedes?" Priceless. Happy Holidays, Brian
Plus 1 for this dirt merchant. E55. But put me down for short hair and Josh Groban, Willie Nelson, Talking Heads, and Bruce Springsteen.
post #373 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: <2003_C240><1998_SL500>
Send a message via AIM to jathanks Send a message via Yahoo to jathanks
Lovin' my new Benz

After getting an '07 C230 as a rental car two years ago, I was sold on how comfortable a Mercedes-Benz was and how great it drove and I won't even get started on how great the interior is. Many times the car does something I want it to do, before I even know I want it to do it! I guess that makes my answer quality, but then I remember how GREAT they look too. I'm torn then too because safety was a definate factor for my wife and kids. Well, I guess I should just go with it's a great car all around. So now I drive an '03 C240 and I love it!
post #374 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1987 300D
Other: 'cause it's a 1987 300D diesel and one of the best picks for converting to alternate fuels, which I've done.
post #375 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Send a message via AIM to nrkmann Send a message via Yahoo to nrkmann
Why did I buy my Benz?

I have owned four MBs and they have been the least expensive cars I have ever owned. TCO is usually around $.30/mile as is my current ride a 300SDL.

This car was purchased because of the large back seat where my older relatives could sit in comfort, e.g. my father-in-law could sit with his oxygen equipment without being crowded.
post #376 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 06:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dependability and value.
VALUE !
I wouldn't say value, if I was buying new, but I don't. Generally somebody else takes the brutal depreciation. Example is my current 96 E-320 I purchased for $5700, yet when new the car was a $50K car. So I'm the winner here, and not the original owner. At 1/10th the original cost, and with more than 1/2 of it's life left on the clock, I made out well in the value department.
DEPENDABILITY !
Well, it has thus far been a trouble free car except for a few gremlins in the electrics, and some initial suspension rubber I had to replace. Though I find these newer Benz's to be a little less reliable than some of the older ones , this hasn't been a bad car.
Where you lose big time is when you are not mechanical. Most small stuff I do on my own and some large items as well.
With the insane price of dealer parts and labor, owning this car would not make sense if it wasn't for aftermarket suppliers and Indy repair folks.
So from a value standpoint it is overall dependable, yet can be horrific if a dealer gets their hands on it.
Also, praise goes out to this site and the many Benz Guru's who are a treasure trove of help when a diagnosis is needed. Great repair forum, guys!

Aardvark.
post #377 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1994 E320 Coupe, Midnight/Rio Blue/Gray, 107K miles
Some cars are just iconic. It is a testament to M-B over the years that many of those iconic models are theirs.

I'm a performance sedan/coupe fan of modest means, so I have owned many good European two-door cars...a college years VW Type 412 Wagon (smelled like a mix of oil and mildew), a BMW 2002 (perfect for its time), BMW E30 325is and E30 325ix (nice tight cars!), Fiat 124 Sport Coupe (sounded better than it drove), Porsche 951S (stupid fast on the boost and stiff enough with 968 M030 suspension to know out fillings) and now a cherry 94 E320 W124....ahhhhh, perfection.

Everything in the survey applies somewhat to my decision to buy the car. Benz cars have the tightest build standards, the least compromised engineering and the most unique appearance.

My W124 in perfect Midnight Blue with Rio Blue cladding is the absolute icon of the businessman's coupe, a category that goes back to the five window US cars in the 1930's that had rear shelves to help the traveling salesman.

It had a complete book of dealer maintenance stamps. It can cruise at 100 MPH all the day without a bit of drama. It will carry two people for hundreds of miles of effortless high speed travel. Not a single squeak or rattle in the entire car. I clean the undercarriage by hand twice yearly. It still has the delivery wax everywhere. My dog sleeps in our bed, but has never seen the inside of this car.

I'm a mid baby boomer with an SCCA time trial card. My track rides are loud and raw with burning fluids, hot rubber, flapping fiberglass and flexing lexan everywhere. The contrast between this cacophony and billet like environment and competent manners of my Coupe defines the Benz experience for me.

Much of car love/lust is subjective, the new C class in the first Benz that has caught my imagination since the W124 CE and the 560 SEC. It is my hope that the price point engineering of the late 1990's has given way to a new commitment to engineering. Not quite sure why but the new C Class give me that vibe.
post #378 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1994 E320 Coupe, Midnight/Rio Blue/Gray, 107K miles
Some cars are just iconic. It is a testament to M-B over the years that many of those iconic models are theirs.

I'm a performance sedan/coupe fan of modest means, so I have owned many good European two-door cars...a college years VW Type 412 Wagon (smelled like a mix of oil and mildew), a BMW 2002 (perfect for its time), BMW E30 325is and E30 325ix (nice tight cars!), Fiat 124 Sport Coupe (sounded better than it drove), Porsche 951S (stupid fast on the boost and stiff enough with 968 M030 suspension to knock out fillings) and now a cherry 94 E320 W124....ahhhhh, perfection.

Everything in the survey applies somewhat to my decision to buy the car. Benz cars have the tightest build standards, the least compromised engineering and the most unique appearance.

My W124 in perfect Midnight Blue with Rio Blue cladding is the absolute icon of the businessman's coupe, a category that goes back to the five window US cars in the 1930's that had rear shelves for samples instead of a back eat. The Brits are really into "pillarless coupes" and treat them the same reverence as Yank do convertibles. They are considered executive cars over there...I wear socks often enough to fancy that as my use of the car

My Coupe was a one owner car and had a complete book of dealer maintenance stamps since new , signed by some guy named Klaus in a blue lab coat...better than having "Bobby" in a greasy GM Dealer jump suit sign off on the work. It can cruise at 100 MPH all the day without a bit of drama. It will carry two people for hundreds of miles of effortless high speed travel. Not a single squeak or rattle in the entire car. I clean the undercarriage by hand twice yearly. It still has the delivery wax everywhere. My dog sleeps in our bed, but has never seen the inside of this car.

As a mid baby boomer with an SCCA time trial card, my track rides are loud and raw with crumbled rubber, burning fluids, flapping fiberglass and flexing lexan everywhere. The contrast between this cacophony and billet like environment and competent manners of the Coupe defines the Benz experience for me.

Car lust is subjective, the new C class is the first Benz that has caught my imagination since the W124 CE and the 560 SEC. It is my hope that the price point engineering of the late 1990's has given way to a new commitment to engineering. Not quite sure why, but the new C Class gives me that vibe.
post #379 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
I had an 05' 745 IL, beautiful car but way too many issues. I wanted to stay German with room comfort and power so I bought a 05 S55 AMG.
post #380 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1983 300d
Send a message via Yahoo to dirtbag
1100 bucks,28 mpg 1983 300d 210000,good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in