Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 28 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,197 20.73%
Performance 1,029 17.82%
Prestige 1,368 23.69%
Safety 536 9.28%
Value 968 16.76%
Other 676 11.71%
Voters: 5774. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 1332 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 560 SEC, '03 Ducati ST4s abs, '68 ZZ430 Camaro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Initially, styling

When I was an impoverished flight instructor, I bought a '69 220D euro model. 57 horse power - one had to plan getting on the freeway - even with the 4 spd. I learned to really appreciate how that car was engineered to be easy to work on. Eventually, I even rebuilt its little diesel engine. It was so simple and durable. Had 320k miles on it when I sold it.
Two years ago, after digging up as much info as I could on the web, I bought a 1988 560SEC. I've never loved a car as much as I do that black beauty. I stay on top of the maintainence, which has not been inconsiderable, and (because it's black) I've probably washed it more than all the cars I've owned put together. For my efforts, the big coupe is such a pleasure to drive. And friends can hardly believe I only paid 5K for it. I roll around the idea of a newer benz...then I read the horrors that owners of CL500s have had to deal with.
Sponsored Links
post #272 of 1332 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:52 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2008 C300 Sport Black/Black
I must confess, I had been a Lexus guy since 1990. I've owned 5 Lexus cars and have loved every one of them (my '93 red SC300 with stick is one of my all time favorite cars). My wife has always been a Mercedes fan having owned 4 of three pointed star vehicles since I've known her (15 years). When it was time to buy a new car recently (June of 08) I test drove the new Lexus IS 300 and ES350. I also thought I'd take a look (and drive) the new BMW 328. I had always read and heard about this being "the standard for drivers cars"...
I was duly impressed with the new IS...very luxurious, nice handling (albeit a bit lite feeling in the steering and I really couldn't "feel" the road at all as it drove with that famous Lexus "riding on a cloud" feel) and pretty darn good power. It was typically Lexus in it's excellent build quality (the interior was amazing luxurious) and their service has been nothing less than stellar in my experience. The IS seemed like it was designed for a younger person but even as a 50 year old I could see myself in this car...

On to the BMW dealer where I met a very nice older salesman (perhaps in his early 60's) with whom I enjoyed meeting. This guy knew his product inside and out and was able to answer any and all questions about the new 3 series. I took the new 328i for a spin and to be sure it lived up to all the hype as a pure "drivers car". Great acceleration, Porsche-like cornering and all around fun to drive BUT, the "ride" was extremely rough and bumpy (partly because of the "runflats" that come standard on the 3 series and partly because of the very tight sport suspension). A great car to be sure, but just not what I was looking for as a daily driver.

Just before I was headed back to the Lexus dealer I called my wife to tell her I was going to buy the Lexus. She asked if I had taken a look at the new C-Class Sport. I told her I had not and she strongly suggested I take a look before buying the Lexus SOOOO, off to the Mercedes dealership where she had purchased all 4 of her Benz's I went (although my mind was pretty much already made up to buy the Lexus IS300. I just had to figure out which color to get...

Well, after seeing the new C300 Sport I was needless to say very very impressed with the styling of the car. I hadn't really liked the previous iterations of the C-Class much but THIS one really caught my eye. After talking to the internet-sales/Fleet manager I was told they would beat any price quoted to me by either Lexus or BMW and by any other Mercedes dealer. They REALLY wanted to sell me this car...I called a few other dealers in the area and got price quotes and they all were around the same general area but my wife really loves this dealership and they have always taken very good care of her.
I took a ride in a black on black C300 sport with auto transmission and iPod integration (I connected my iPhone to it during the test drive and really liked having my music at the touch of the steering wheel buttons with the readout in the speedometer) and very quickly I found that this car was the perfect middle ground between the sporty BMW and the sexy luxurious Lexus.
It had EVERYTHING I was looking for:
Solid build quality
Aggressive and sporty but classy styling
Luxurious, comfortable and smooth ride
Great transmission
Excellent engine with plenty of midrange power
Good gas milage
And of course that prestigious "Three Pointed Star" right smack-dab in the middle of the grille!
45 minutes later I was driving home with that same car I test drove (had it not been for my vacillating back and forth between the black and the white colors for 20 minutes, I would have been out of there in less time!)...
The dealership had the car washed and prepped in a very short time and I was now the proud owner of my first (and hopefully the first of many to come) Mercedes Benz Automobile and six months later I am just as excited to drive it as I was on that first test drive!
My wife was thrilled and she even prefers to take the C for short trips around town instead of her '06 CLK Convertible (which I really like driving as well )
Anyway, that is my story!
post #273 of 1332 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2008

i think MB is The BEst auto in the world

i had probed BMW even porshe but not any could reach mb
post #274 of 1332 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:02 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Vehicle: 1988 SL560, 1989 560 SEL
Why A Benz?

I have loved the SL class since I was a teen in the '50's. I found a 560 at a dealer that whas in inpecable condition and made a very low offer. To my surprise they accepted. The car is in unbelieveable for 20 year old and having one is much more enjoyable than I would have ever expected it to be. I have been offered a nice profit but bought it to keep and drive. If what I am hearing about many SL's having been shipped back to Europe is true then this car may be rare here some day. Reguardless it's a thrill to own and drive.
post #275 of 1332 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
why a benz?

Many years ago, my wife was involved in an accident while driving a GM car. When I went to see the car, I was shocked at the condition. I went to the MB dealer that day and bought a used 240 D. I wanted a tank. We drove that car and it gave us excellent service. We gave it to our daughter, and it probably saved her life several times. We bought another another 240D, and the wife drove it for 15 years, and it still runs extremely well. However, It is time for her to have a newer car. We bought an 07 C 230 from the same dearler we bought the 2nd 240D, and hopefully, it will last at least 20 years.
post #276 of 1332 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Vehicle: 1982 240D

I bought my 1985 300SD with 223000 miles on it knowing the reputation the old MB diesels have for reliability.
I have not been disappointed, even though the car has needed love in areas other than engine, chassis and drivetrain.

Fuel flexibility is also a big deal. I run biodiesel in mine, but also being able to run SVO/WVO, diesel, jet fuel, kerosene ... just amazing.
post #277 of 1332 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz E200 1994; Wagen G290D 1996
Send a message via Yahoo to Nexus Send a message via Skype™ to Nexus
I feel it's safe, comfortable and never out of date, even as my w124 E200 1996

The best player always finishes at the last but two!
post #278 of 1332 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Member
Vehicle: 2002 SLK32, 2011 C300, 2000 ML430
Why I bought my Benz?

Well, My wife has a Pontiac Bonneville SSEI Factory Supercharged luxury car. She wanted a smaller car. So we went shopping, we test drove a Mazda RX7, Saturn Sky convertible, and a C230 sport coupe with the 1.8 Kompressor. The Mercedes was the best hands down. However the car didn't have heated seats and other options my wife has become used too. I looked some more and I found an SLK230 that I couldn't pass up. I ended up replacing my soft top convertible with the hard top SLK230.

As soon as the pontiac sells we will have two Mercedes just not sure what she wants. She has hinted she might want a car like mine so I offered it to her because I'm going to test drive a 2001 SLK32 AMG today. I'm curious how the additional 150hp is going to perform over the car I have now....

We will most likely get her a c class sedan but then again I told her to get whatever car she wants. She has been driving the SLK230 and loves it so who knows
post #279 of 1332 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: '97 SL320- 40th anniversary roadster
I love my SL 320 40th anniversary roadster! I checked with lots of mercedes owners and mechanics before I bought it, and they all said that it would be a great buy-they were right! It handles well, rides smoothly, and it's a really pretty color; it gets a lot of attention (sometimes it's embarrasing). I probably will never sell it; (but a girl can change her mind).

post #280 of 1332 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1987 420SEL
I wanted a better car than I was driving, but I couldn't afford a new Mercedes, and since I have more time than money I bought an '87 420SEL that wasn't running for only $500. The previous owner had been driving his other M-B's instead, and let it sit too long, so the fuel distributor went breasts up. The body and interior are almost perfect, though the clear coat is really shot. It needs a paint job. But the engine and transmission seem to be really strong. I am trying to make this car the exception to the rule that a cheap M-B is expensive.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: