Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 20 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,197 20.73%
Performance 1,029 17.82%
Prestige 1,368 23.69%
Safety 536 9.28%
Value 968 16.76%
Other 676 11.71%
Voters: 5774. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 1332 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:13 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally reached middle age and got the roadster bug. I looked at all sorts of roadsters and some 2 and 4 door convertibles. Ended up getting a then 5 year old SLK 230. It looked more substantial than the Mazda or BMW roadsters, had more room and was more comfortable than an S2000. Had better proportions than any of the 2 or 4 door ragtops I looked at. Looked just as good with the top up as with it down. And finally, it was exclusive enough, especially in yellow, that I knew I probably wouldn't see another like it where I live.
Sponsored Links
post #192 of 1332 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E320
Send a message via Yahoo to VeloFemme
Wink Why Did I Buy a Mercedes Benz?

Mine will probably be the most unusual story. But I want to digress first, since high school I have always liked German cars. The first car I drove was my step-father's "work car" a 1958 Opel with three on the column. My step-father's commute was all of about 2 miles. So I drove the car in high school, this was in the late 60s/early 70s. By the time I graduated high school, I wanted an Opel Kadett. Then there was a brief love affair with an Austen Healey 3000. After spending tons of money constantly on repair, I unloaded the AH and got a Volkswagen Scirocco, then later on an Audi. So the move to Mercedes was inevitable.

However, how I came to becoming a Mercedes owner is quite a story. A friend of mine has a Ouiji Board. He was looking to buy another car, a used car that is, and decided to ask the Board mostly out of curiosity. Since it takes two to work the board, he asked if I could lend a helping hand (literally and figuratively). When he asked the question, the response was Mercedes. We're like yeah, right. So we asked the Board again, what car and we again got Mercedes. So then we decided, ok, let's go down this rabbit hole and see what comes up. So we asked which class. We got E or S class, not C class. Then we asked which years, the response was 1995-1997. This was very interesting to us, since neither of us knew that much about Mercedes at the time, other than the merger in 1998. But, my friend knew a woman that just happens to be a Mercedes sales rep at Beschoff in San Jose, she has been one for many years and knows the lines very well. So my friend asked her if there was anything significant about the 1995-1997 E/S class sedans. Her response was "those were the strongest production frames Mercedes ever built." And, yes the hair was standing on the backs of our necks when we heard that.

So my friend looked around and found a 1996 E320, in great shape and bought it. Then he took off for Europe for a couple weeks. I kept the car at my house while he was gone. And though I had an Audi at the time, I had to admit curiosity got the better of me. You know what they say about how it's not good to let a car sit for long periods of time without turning over the engine and letting it run. Well, I certainly didn't want to risk my friend's new car to deteriorate! What kind of friend would that be? So I drove it around a bit. By then I was hooked.

So fast forward a couple years, my Audi broke down, and one of parts the mechanic couldn't get. There was some inventory problem, every time you punched in the stock number, you got a different part. They even tried ordering direct from Germany, same result. It took over five weeks to get the part. By the time the car was in the shop the second week, I pretty much decided that if parts are going to be that difficult to get, then it was time to get a new car. And after all the research we did on the E320s, I pretty much knew what I was going to get.

So I got online and found a 1997 E320. A beautiful emerald green, with a sun screen in the back window. It was July at the time, and scorching hot heat wave was upon us. All I recall is when I saw this car in person, I was sold. The cool emerald green color, the air conditioning was going and the rear sunscreen was up, casting a welcoming shade in the interior. Given that I'm a red head, shade is important. Shade on demand at the press of a button, I'm sold. So my mechanic checked it out and passed with flying colors. That was a couple years ago. The car is still running great, I have no regrets. The "Board" was right when it comes to cars. Winning Lotto numbers, well that's another story.
post #193 of 1332 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2007
I only have a 97 C180 but I bought it because my dad had an E Class that never gave him trouble and I was fed up of all the japanese rubbish i'd owned previously being in the garage for repairs constantly. I've had my MB for almost 10 years now and all i've had to do it other than service it every 3 months is change the water pump and a viscus fan (whatever the hell that is).

I'm about to purchase a w204 in the next 12 months and if funds permit it'll be an AMG, the car of my dreams.
post #194 of 1332 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1995 E300 Diesel
Other- for running on biodiesel that I make at $1 gallon. 1995 E300

After driving the car home approx 1800 miles- I love the handling and comfort!
post #195 of 1332 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2007

When I lived in Copenhagen, Denmark (1958-59), I decided that someday I wanted to own a Mercedes Benz. Took a while, but I finally bought a '98 E320 two years ago. It's great, but I kept looking at those old classics driving around, like '77 through '84 300Diesels and 280Se cars, etc. Finally, I bought a '78 280SE (almost mint), and I love it. True, it's a bit boat-like, but the ride is great and it's nice to know if someone hits you, they're hitting a tank; I feel safe in it. Plus, the car seems like it's going to be very reliable, so I'm a happy Benzer right now.
Garland, Texas
post #196 of 1332 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C230K Sport Sedan
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got my last three for the free car washes and great croisants.

2004.5 C230K - Pewter/Charcoal - www.Buellwinkle.com

post #197 of 1332 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2003 Toyota 4 runner , 69 Mercury Cougar, 1989 MB 300e 245,000(Sold),1979 300d 165,000m
Why I Bought Mercedes

Back In 1996 , I was looking for a car for my daughter to learn how to drive ( couldn't drive company cars). Didn't want to put a 15 yr old in some thin steel import.
Was looking for old ,used Volvo when friend who wholesales trades said he didn't have any Volvos but had an old Mercedes Bankruptcy/repo sitting in the back of his lot. Walked out as saw this poor puppy covered in dust. 1989 300 e (Ath Grey) with 150K on it .Engine rough/body rough/tires shot. Some one had bought it but couldn't maintain it. Bank took $4,400.00 for it ,KBB$12,600 at that time. Change every fluid, new tires, wet sanded it, full tune-up DYI.
Best car I ever owned. All my 3 kids learned to drive on it ,never broke down or wrecked . Lasted 7 years @ 245,000 ,with normal maint,I did head job for $350.00 with the help of this forum. finally gave it to Salvation army,some else is driving it.. Wife almost cried when we gave it a way, all her babies learned to drive on it.

Well I'm back looking for 1999-2001 E320 wagon..

Happy to be back
post #198 of 1332 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 06:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2008
I crashed my 88 420sel and saved my life I crashed it onto an expedition and completely destroyed the expedition. What a piece of crap. Anyway never owned anything other than mercedes since I got my drivers license. I've owned about 15 benzes and I currently have 4. Piece of advise. Drive benz or, if you can't afford one, have some self respect and ride on the bus.
post #199 of 1332 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 08:41 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2008
I purchased a new C Class in 1996 and it was the best car I ever owned. I had it for six years and all it required was normal maintenance. The fellow I sold it to in 2002 kept it another five years and then sold it to his sister. She is now driving it.

I purchased a new 2002 CLK 320 Convertible in 2002 which is a different story. While the car is fun to drive, MB should be ashamed of themselves on the mechanical quality of the car - especially the front end. I have had to have the front end of the car rebuilt twice since new (the car has 60,000 miles on it). Add to that new motor mounts, new shocks all around, new springs all around, rebuilding the suspension components in the rear of the car, new heater motor, all new HVAC sensors, and a new transmission shield. All of this was fixed under an extended MB warranty I purchased. I love the car but am having serious doubts about whether I should purchase a new CLK convertible. John from Toronto
post #200 of 1332 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 96 SL600,04 BMW 545i Dinan certified sold,2013 C300 Sport (for wifey) 03 CL55 s/Chg sold,07 BMW M5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One word "flawless"...but I still get the itch to add more of a statement.I have owned two MB's so far.A 94 E320 and currently a 91' 500SL..Awesome beast...!! I also grew up into a family of MB user's my father owned about 3 MB's in the garage at one time, therefore before I turned 16..I was instilled with the values of owning one of the finest cars in the world.This became addictive and I was hooked ever since.I think MB's are, if not the finest engineered cars in the world.Period!Funny enough I drive my MB 500SL more than I drive my 04' BMW 545i SPORT
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: