Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 18 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,197 20.73%
Performance 1,029 17.82%
Prestige 1,368 23.69%
Safety 536 9.28%
Value 968 16.76%
Other 676 11.71%
Voters: 5774. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 1332 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by slkmaniac View Post
I got my SLK just because of the looks and that trick roof!
What year is the SLK?

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
Sponsored Links
post #172 of 1332 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:33 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: CLK 320 2000 Cabriolet
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why CLK?

Needed 4 seats as have 3 kids (I can run them all to school if I work from home - shame can't get all 5 of the family in - but then that's what the Galaxy 7 seater is for!
I don't do a lot of miles but when I go to work (35-45 mins) I like to sit in something that feels comfortable and looks just as good on the inside as the out.

No need for 4 doors and want something sporty (mid life crisis? 38 years?) so why not treat myself.

Had a Ford Cougar - lovely to look at insde & out but when at 110k miles things started to go wrong I knew I needed to upgrade.

THought of convertible - why not? It doesn't rain that much in Scotland and spoke to a car friend who had a cab and swore by them.

Considered Volvo C70, but then realised that for a few £ more I could get first class build of Merc (also volvo looked ugly inside and wyellowing plastic)

Loved my toys so waited for avantgarde, 73k miles, full MB history, immaculate both inside & out (including reprayed bumper cos the guy who sold it said it had too many stone chips), AMG alloys,cruise, leather, the usual, wanted control steering wheel too (the std square one I think is too ugly) all for £8600 ($17k) - books at £10k so I got a bargain.

Only had it a week and have already cleaned and protected the hood (black came up good as new!), Mer waxed the whole car (love that beading!), new AMG grille, DVD/SD player being installed next week.

What I didn't bargain for is famed durability from writers to this website - I like this!
Love the looks you get from people (esp when I have my 3 kids in the car and the roof down)

And the final reason - inherited some money from my late mum 12 months ago. She saved all her life to retire and go round the world, then got divorced by my dad and had 2 brain tumours and died by 61.

So, you're a long time dead - let's have as much fun while we're on this planet!

Thoroughly enjoying it!

Thanks Mum!
post #173 of 1332 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2008
needed a car to seat our family of 6 in October. wanted a fuel efficient car. also wanted a safe car. decided the R320CDI was the best car out there for our needs.
post #174 of 1332 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:42 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2008
So Many Reasons...

I originally had a 2000 ML55 (For Sale BTW...contact me) but got rid of it to a family member for a Audi S4 which was a lot faster but just as expensive to maintain. Dumped the Audi and decide to go a whole new direction, as I am sick of making oil companies obscenely rich while normal people struggle to fill up their tanks. I just bought a 1 owner 84 300SD and plan on putting in a Elsbett kit, 30 years of vegetable oil conversion work in Germany in the next few weeks. The specific reasons I picked a 126 chassis is because:

1) They are (IMHO) the last of the "true" M-B's. Not to say that the newest models aren't really nice and they do have incredibly cool features, but as far as being Bulletproof the early 80's car have them trumped.

2) The OM617 engine is, as stated above, Bulletproof. I mean 1,000,000 miles!!!!

3) The 126 is one of the safest cars ever.
post #175 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1996 Mercedes-Benz C220 Elegance
Send a message via AIM to mgill85258

Because I realized that they invented, and continue to produce the best (in most any aspect) automobiles in the world. Period.

Beforehand, I was mostly infatuated with the Chrysler brand, and still enjoy many of their vehicles (mostly pre-1970) but then I looked at a Mercedes-Benz.

And, after owning a W202, and now a W140... driving ANYTHING else feels strange, and you can really tell the lacking of good quality, craftsmanship, appearance, and the biggest thing I would call "ergonomics."

Have you been in other vehicles, and while driving you thought "WTF? why did they make it this way." It's happened many-a-time for me, especially considering I drive a different car every week since I travel on business (every week) And wow, some things i've come across, it's like WTF? Nobody knows how to design a car properly?

Although, I'll probably hand it to BMW/Audi/VW and a select few other brands, some do know how to build vehicles correctly, Mercedes does the finest job, and has been doing it longer than anybody else.

1996 C220... aww yeah, base model!
post #176 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: CLK,SLK
Send a message via Yahoo to CLK3.GS3
Love the looks of the Mercedes coupes and convertibles, these are dream cars from my childhood. Now I have them, my husband can't understand it.

post #177 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2006
Because i found this car in red
post #178 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 12:50 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 1980 280ce
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pidgy999
I chose "other" because I bought the 280ce for it's build quality. I'd never had the money to buy a new car and I was sick of the old american cars I'd always had that were built so poorly.

Plus, it's a great looking car.
post #179 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2007
I bought my first and only Mercedes Benz in 2002 and never looked back. I got tired of American iron and decided to join the rest of the family. Its a fun car to drive and I don't mind working on it.
autopartswarehouse blog
post #180 of 1332 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 11:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
My first MB was a 1971 280 SEL 4.5 that I bought in 1981 with 100k on the clock. I drove it 4 years and 44k miles and sold it for what I paid. It was a great car and it parted traffic like a blue light bar. I fiddled with various substitutes until 1997 when I bought a '94 E-class. It was a great dead-stone reliable vehicle for over 100k miles. I traded it in 2004 for a Lexus GS 300. This year, I bought my '04 S430. I go other places and find good, well-made cars, but I always come back to Mercedes. I have said that my "dream car" is an Audi A8L, but after driving the S-class, I'm not sure what Audi can offer that will trump the big Benz. My car is a Base 430, but it is as fully equipped as I want. I'm averaging 22 mpg in mixed driving, except when I stiffen up the suspension and find a road where I can let the big dog eat. It's deceptively fast, drives smaller than its size, and offers all the comfort the driver and passengers could ask. Never mind the the unmistakable presence of the flagship of the line still grants the driver exception from the limitations of the drivers of lesser cars. Around here, C-class models are as common as Camrys, and various flavors of CLKs are everywhere, but you don't see an S-class in every parking space, so there is something to be said for that. My wife has an '04 Lexus LS 430, and the undeniable Lexus reliability notwithstanding, it's not the same as my S-class. Maybe the most telling thing is you never hear anyone say "It's almost as good as a Lexus" or any other car--the comment is "It's almost as good as a Mercedes." That says it all.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: