Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 126 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,197 20.73%
Performance 1,029 17.82%
Prestige 1,368 23.69%
Safety 536 9.28%
Value 968 16.76%
Other 676 11.71%
Voters: 5774. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1251 of 1332 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
can't we all just get along,...?I'm just saying
Sponsored Links
post #1252 of 1332 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 07:18 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2010 E350 Luxury, P1 Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks for agreeing

Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post

Perhaps a BMW is too up market for you , try a Corvette instead , it fits the Southern Bubba profile better .
Just realized that you actually agree with me re: the greater status in owning an M-B.
nathanD.rector likes this.
post #1253 of 1332 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 08:36 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 74' 240D, 75' 300D
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
M-B has always been a status symbol/prestige car, whether in Germany or US, but especially in US ever since it was first imported. Look at the ads for M-B going back to the 1950's. They were selling prestige and still are.
Please note that in the responses to the poll, Prestige is the number one answer.
Also, most American cars in general are now more reliable than European cars and have been for about a decade.
Confused. Why would I own one and what am an example of? Honesty? Truthfulness?
Yes that was a part of it no doubt but not the only reason for why you would want a Mercedes. Today though I agree that the badge is being pushed above everything and that is disappointing.

When I say American and Euro cars are unreliable I'm comparing them to the Japanese market. I'd say American cars a little unrelaible but at least there cheap to fix at least right now. Euro cars are so complicated to fix you can only have it serviced at the dealer where they have there certified computers system checkers. Mercedes costs an arm and a leg for the simplest parts.

Both of my W115's are purring like the day they were born. We'll see if Mercedes E & C classes are still on the road 40 years later.

Call me Ben! Formally "Mercedes Lover"
post #1254 of 1332 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 08:41 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 74' 240D, 75' 300D
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
*The badge is being pushed above everything else

*computer system checkers

*we'll see if the modern E & C classes are still on the road 40 years later.

Call me Ben! Formally "Mercedes Lover"
post #1255 of 1332 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 1987 190D
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I bought mine because it's a diesel and Mercedes makes some of the best diesels in the world. The rest of the car is a piece of crap fix or repair daily...lol
post #1256 of 1332 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 1998 W140 S420 ya... but I keep it clean tho!
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I honestly bought my w140 because I LOVE SEDANS!!! Ive had a maxima and its great being able to fit 4 extra people in your car comfortably (fat chicks). Then i bought an LS400, loved that one too. sold it and got a jaguar xj6 with the beautiful woodgrain airplane fold out tray tables in the rear. finished toying with that one and searched around for the next project. came across the w140 on craigslist. looked okay, ran pretty rough cuz the guy before me wasnt cut out for the job. got it for a super great price and put about 4 grand into it over the next year and a half. major sunroof rust, body work, paint, painted rims, new super quiet tires, all new 02 sensors, maf, tranny work, plugs, fuel pump n filter, sprayed the grill, hid the reverse lights (got caught, had to make visible again). Car runs great. No check engine light or warning lights whatsoever now
post #1257 of 1332 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 05:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 2003 C240, 2004 E320,2007 C280
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My parents have always owned Mercedes and I wanted one of my own hence my little C Class, a 2003 C240.
post #1258 of 1332 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: CLK 200 TPS Kompressor Avantgarde
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Comfort and safety above all

I bought a Merc for reliability,safety and the comfort that distinguish it. Driving for about 2 and 1/2 hours every day mainly I wanted to be comfortable. I also fell in love with the smooth and elegant lines of the CLK coupe. My next one will probably be a CL (w215 or even better a W216) but I'll have to save a lot more money before I can afford to purchase one (property taxes are real killers for big engines like V6 in my country).
post #1259 of 1332 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 06:38 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2010
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As someone who owns one...

...and knows about the high cost of repairs due to poor build quality/reliability and stupid design choices, I can understand that expression on their faces: anger that that poor schmuck paid a lot of money for that MB and it has worse reliability than a Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, KIA, Hyundai, etc. etc.

It is actually more a look of sympathy ("that poor guy and his deluded choice") than anger, I think.

OK, a little tongue in cheek, but only a little.

Originally Posted by Crna Mechka View Post

I know I'm quoting a post from 2007, but I just had to.

Love the expression on some people's faces. You can just see their blood boiling
post #1260 of 1332 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:07 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thumbs up Facts Vs. Hate & Ignorance

As some who owns three Diesels and services two more S-Klasse Sedans I'm still in the reliability and safety camp plus the handling is out standing ~ my daily commute takes me on a 1930's freeway that was designed for a maximum speed of 45 MPH and to - day's Drivers mostly take it at 55 ~ 60 MPH when there's not too much traffic .

I can easily whiz through it end to end @ 5 MPH and no tire squealing .

One of my old Mercedes now has 347,000 miles on it and still gets 30 MPG in daily driving in spite of the engine needing overhauling .

I always get a laugh out of those who claim they're expen$ive to operate or maintain ~ a work mate of mine's Wife bought a 2005 C Klasse Sedan , it now has 110,000 miles on it and apart from oil and filter changes , it's needed ZERO repairs .

I keep telling him to at least change the ATF , coolant and so on , he laughs and says it's *so* cheap to run , they'll just junk it if / when the tranny fails .

No American car , not even my beloved Chevrolets , ever had this sort of reliability .

Keep dreaming and whining , losers .
ms_irreverent likes this.

Old German cars & motos
vintage car mechanic
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: