Why did you buy your Mercedes? - Page 116 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Why did you buy/lease a Mercedes?
Looks 1,198 20.72%
Performance 1,031 17.83%
Prestige 1,369 23.67%
Safety 536 9.27%
Value 971 16.79%
Other 678 11.72%
Voters: 5783. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1151 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1983 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
' Investing ' in an old Mercedes is foolish......

Remember : a cheap Mercedes will be the most expensive car you ever own...
Don't worry, I am more than acutely aware of the old maxim:
"If you can't afford a new European car, you can't afford an old European car."

More's the nutcase I am for persisting with Vintage European rides - Anything older than fifteen years, as far as Australian motor insurers are concerned, are eligible for 'Vintage and Classic' cover.

Nonetheless, anything's gotta be better than what I've owned thus far, and I'm sure the old Merc will be up to the task.

First road-trip for me will be from Sydney to Melbourne and return.
dfwx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1152 of 1335 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Well and good then ! .

Once sorted these make very good road cars , I daily drive mine as well as run the wheels off my Diesel Sports Coupe in Road Rallies.....

They're dead simple to fix and the $/parts thing can be mitigated by the Internet .

-Nate
Old German cars & motos
vintage car mechanic
Gearhead
post #1153 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Mercedes
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
First Mercedes came as I gave up on keeping my Chevy cars. I had a pristine one of two cars built 1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Aero Coupe T-tops and Tuned Port Injected motor from the factory. Some jackass with a screwdriver took all of 1 minute to break into car with screwdriver and peel steering column and drive away. All captured on Bank Survellience camera that was 1996. I replaced that car with a 1994 Chevy Impala SS that met a similar fate 3 weeks into my ownership.

I bought a 1969 230 w114 sedan that started the love. Mind you I was already a Mercedes Benz Tech at that time,, But those were the days when the used Mercedes prices were still higher that similar new cars.

Wanted:
w126 Left euro headlight, Someone that can refinish my wood in Grey woodgrain
Helpful Positive responses, Negativity Keep quiet
post #1154 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2000 C200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks very very nice!
post #1155 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 11:08 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz C250
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought mine a year ago since I was selling Mercedes.It helps to drive what you sell. Daimler trust had a deal going for 27 months lease, and just couldn't pass it up. Couples with Employee pricing and fantastic money factor, I bought a 2013 C250 sports sedan in Diamond silver. I simply love this car. Best one I have owned so far, and I had Porsche Boxter and numerous BMWs in the past. I think I would definitely buy again. Right now, I got my eyes set on GLK350 or the GLA250...
post #1156 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 2003 CLK320 Cabriolet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The Reason I Bought Mine Is NOT Why I Love It Now

My story isn't unique, but inspiring nonetheless.

For all my adult life, a Mercedes was a wonderful, wistful dream. No chance a guy like me, making $45K a year (yet still managing to put away a few bucks here and there) would ever own such a vehicle. But a drive past the local Chevy dealership changed everything when a 2008 'C' Class hardtop coupe was prominently displayed at the front of the pre-owned lot with "$16999" in big green numbers across the windshield.

For a beautiful late-model Mercedes? Really?

So I stopped to take a peek, expecting something high-mileage and worn-out. It had 67K on the clock and was near perfect. Although that car was not the one for me, it changed everything in knowing that I could buy a prestigious Mercedes-Benz for the price of a Ford Focus (nothing against the Focus!). My tall-order search was on for an amazing vehicle under $10K.

I'd done my homework (with help from this site) to know that " a cheap Mercedes could be the most expensive car you'll ever own." So I understood that I would have to hunt smartly yet tirelessly until my 2003 CLK320 Cabrio (one owner, meticulously maintained, in near-pristine condition, and passed my mechanic's exam with flying colors) would finally present itself. I took a deep breath and wrote the largest check I'd ever written in my life. (Well under $10K, I might add.)

I also quickly figured out that I better embrace the idea of becoming somewhat of a mechanic. It was the only way I could afford to keep driving the vehicle I'd fallen in love with. Nearly a year of ownership and about 4K miles later, I've gotten to know my car pretty well. I've learned how to identify, troubleshoot, and fix several issues, both mechanical and electrical. I've learned how to inexpensively maintain it's superb condition because of smart tips and well-documented DIY procedures. By my estimate, these efforts have saved me over $2K in repairs and maintenance so far.

I still love the looks I get when I take it out. I love that it's fast and classy and handles way better than anything I've ever driven. I love that it allows me to truly live a bit of the good life.

But most of all, I love that I'm bettering myself ... thanks to the knowledge, skill and wisdom I'm accumulating along the way.

I now understand what it means to love a car!
UnseenBenz and Wizard1077 like this.
post #1157 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2005 CL65
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedaJag View Post
My wife spent all the money I thought I had put by, so the used Jag XKR I wanted wasn't on the cards. She more or less insisted on a convertible if I bought a "sports" car, so with the money available a 2008 CLK350 with 78,000 on the clock was the least worst option. Oh well, at least it's not a Mustang.
I bought a beautiful deep green Jag XKR with gorgeous optional wheels. A beautiful car - that I got rid of quickly. They are easily bested by big motor new pony cars, the computer controls so strict no mods of any kind possible, not all that fast compared to their counter parts and an absurd isn't a back seat.
post #1158 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

There was a time when a luxury or high dollar car also was a reliable car. Those days are long gone. I bought a W215 CL65 AMG R3 modified because the price was right, I greatly liked it's special order OEM midnight blue, and recognized the cost of the R3 mods basically equaled what I was buying the whole car for - plus it came from a dealer with a 2 year major components warranty.

However, from my wife's R350 I also recognized that - unfortunately in my opinion - Mercedes out-of-warranty used vehicles are both very closely to maintain and repair, and repairs in this remote area always a 2 week wait. But the CL65 is to only be my "showboat" car for very rare special occasions usage. Maybe a 150 drive to Hard Rock Café or a fine dining outing once a month. Otherwise a garage baby. The radical performance/power of the 700 hp & 850 ft/lbs torque 4600 pound CL65 with a usable backseat, trunk, and with some minor body mods turned into eye candy too seemed to make sense to me.

As a daily driver? No. I rack up miles very quickly on my driving vehicles and tend to drive them until they come to a major repair and then scrap them. That driving formula doesn't work with Mercedes now it seems.

Long ago I had one of those little 4 door diesel Mercedes. Bought it for $300 with a big dent on it and drove it about 60K miles to around 200K until it blew an oil line too inaccessible to make it worth my while. Wish Merc still made such ordinary folks cars. Or maybe they do and I just don't know what the model is.

Yet, overall, the extreme degree all model cars are now like trying to keep 10 laptops running without glitches month after month has really redefined what car ownership is - reflecting my age.
post #1159 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinb View Post
Luxury was my initial reason, but learned to love the performance, and value is declining. The last 10k service visit resulted in 9k recommended service. Independent Benz shop took me under car and showed me all recommended items were fine.
Too many stories like that one, aren't there?
post #1160 of 1335 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2001 Mercedes ML430
Send a message via Skype™ to UnseenBenz
I bought my 2nd Mercedes (the one I own now) Because when my 1994 E420 was totaled, I walked away, the other guy left in an ambulance and my car looked worse than his. The smoothness of the engine, the way these cars handle, the safety features...Why would you buy anything else?
palandi and Wizard1077 like this.

Owning a Mercedes is a never ending adventure....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in