Mercedes has a Near-Perfect Wagon but Plays a Cruel Joke and Won’t Sell it in the US - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Date registered: Jul 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes has a Near-Perfect Wagon but Plays a Cruel Joke and Won’t Sell it in the US

Quote:
The Mercedes C-Class Wagon has been introduced, but you won’t be able to get it in the U.S.

Neighbors to the North in Canada however, can get their hands on the hot wagon starting this year. Compared to its predecessor, which was not offered in Canada, the new C-Class Wagon has grown considerably. The wheelbase has increased over three inches with the vehicle itself coming in nearly four inches longer and 1.5 inches wider. Overall dimensions measure 185 inches long and 71 inches wide.

The extra space primarily benefits the rear-seat passengers, who now get nearly two inches more legroom. There is also more interior width and headroom compared to the previous model.

On the outside, styling of the C-Class Wagon resembles the C-Class Sedan with Canadian shoppers having the option to choose from two different front grilles. There’s a sporty option or a luxury grille, reserved solely for the Luxury Package that also includes the Mercedes star on the hood.

The Mercedes C 300d 4MATIC Wagon will be powered by a four-cylinder diesel engine delivering 200 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque.

“The new C-Class Wagon is not only extremely practical thanks to its once again enlarged, variable load compartment. With innovative lightweight construction and its state-of-the-art technical features it also strikes out in new directions in this segment with regard to safety, efficiency and comfort. Worldwide we are the first to offer a comfortable air suspension in this segment. And both men and women drivers enjoy noticeably more driving pleasure”, states Prof. Dr. Thomas Weber, member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG responsible for Group Research and Mercedes-Benz Cars Development.
Read more about Mercedes has a Near-Perfect Wagon but Plays a Cruel Joke and Won’t Sell it in the US at AutoGuide.com.
steh-fan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 06:33 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2010 ML 350 Bluetec 4Matic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Kind of BS. It would sell well in the US.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 06:52 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2005 C230 Kompressor Coupe 6 speed
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.calton1 View Post
Kind of BS. It would sell well in the US.
I disagree. Wagons don't sell in the USA for some reason and this one would not be different. In the USA people love "SUVs". It would sell poorly. But I love station wagons so I would love to buy it personally!!!!
zaidtoronto likes this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2010 ML 350 Bluetec 4Matic
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
If the E Class wagon was available here as a diesel I would have bought one. I think it could potentially sell well, but they would have probably done like the E class and had it available with just the 2.0 gas turbo with 4Matic. The E class is only available here as a 3.5 Gas 4Matic. In Europe and other places you could get the E250 as a wagon with a diesel.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 08:54 AM
Supreme Sandwich

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '08 BMW Z4 3.0si, '09 E350
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Gulf Breeze, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
If we could also get the manual transmission options the rest of the world gets, that would also be great.

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE ~100k miles
'51 Euro 170S *Being reborn*
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport ~42k miles
'08 BMW Z4 3.0 si ~14.3k miles
'09 E350 ~51k miles
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8

~Josh
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: '08 BMW 750LI, '10 Ford Expedition
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.calton1 View Post
If the E Class wagon was available here as a diesel I would have bought one. I think it could potentially sell well, but they would have probably done like the E class and had it available with just the 2.0 gas turbo with 4Matic. The E class is only available here as a 3.5 Gas 4Matic. In Europe and other places you could get the E250 as a wagon with a diesel.
+1

Here are two E Class diesel wagon buyers MB missed out on....

'85 300TDT Nautical Blue 126K
'87 300TDT Midnight Blue 188K
'87 560SL Anthracite Grey 65K
'92 600SEL Project in waiting 128K
'10 Ford Expedition 86K
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:57 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Many MBZ, Couple of 911s, couple of pick ups
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I just do not understand the thinking that wagons do not sell. I am biased, have 4 MBZ wagons currently, but to not have engine options in the US market is ridiculous. Why are we constantly not given the option to have a diesel in our modern wagons is beyond my comprehension. Give us the choice and many will buy. To believe that all Americans want big gasoline powered motors with gobs of HP is short sighted.

I would buy a new diesel powered wagon if given the opportunity.

Sherif Tewfik

70 280 SE/cab
72 280SE 4.5
78 6.9
80 280 SL
88 300 CE
94 E500
95 E420
95 E320 Cab
95 E320 Wagon
05 E55 Wagon
07 GL320 CDI
11 E350 4matic Wagon
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1972 280CE
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I saw one of these on my last visit to the UK. Jaw dropping beautiful.
3.5 liter diesel with a 9 speed automatic..

83126 likes this.

With best regards

Al

Check out the W114, W115 /8 enthusiast forum http://www.stroke8.org

My 280SL restoration
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2015 C300 4Matic, Diamond White/Silk Beige, Prem pkg, pano, rear camera, Garmin, rear side air bags
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The white car above is a CLS Shooting Brake - not a C-class. But I agree it is beautiful.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 02:57 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2014 GLK250. Previously: 1985 190E 2.3, 1997 E320, 1992 190E 2.6
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to UncleBenz
Suggestion: come up to see us in Canada and buy one! Why not? With the usd at 30%+ than Canadian dollars you would make a great deal and have to opportunity to be unique in USA.

We done that the opposite way when our Canadian dollar was matching yours. Many Canadian went to American dealers to save a lot on buying a new car. It was a good deal even if we had to pay extra taxes. One of my cousin few years ago bought a brand new Subaru in the USA and saved a lot. You'll have to check your custom policies to import a new car from Canada and check if there is a Canadian Mercedes-Benz policy not to sell to American customers.

Otherwise, a C Class SW would be the same for maintenance than the regular C Class...so why not?

Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in