post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor
Date registered: Jul 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport is a Genuine German Alternative

After the ATS sports sedan won the 2013 North American Car of the Year, Cadillac is poised to continue its streak with the all-new third-generation CTS.

Revealed at a private event in Manhattan on the eve of the New York Auto Show the CTS is bigger, more luxurious, dramatically better looking and includes an optional VSport package that includes a potent 420 hp twin-turbo V6 engine – more output than a BMW 550i.
For everything you need to know about the 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport visit AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500, 1983 300SD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow. Looks like there are some Mercedes and Infinity M-45 design cues in there. Only took 40 years but once the new RWD flagship comes out Cadillac is going to finally be on par with the European luxury brands again.

The Teutonic Plauge
2003 S500
69,000 miles
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2013
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Looks sharp, I like it!

The style seems more appropriate for an S-Class competitor though. For a CTS sized car, I'd rather something sleeker like our C or E-Class.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 04:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its still going to use plastic 'chrome' looking wheels (a la Ford), cheap plastics (the same found in a cobalt; like in the $120g ZR1), and leather that feels like plastic. It will also start to fall apart after a month. You can put frosting on a doodoo but I still wouldn't eat it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2008
I'm still not convinced. Just like it took them several decades to catch up in design (and, I'm not still not sure they are there), it will probably take me decades to take them seriously. Just my opinion.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 11:45 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 88 560sl
Actually, as much as I love MB cars and have owned MB and Audis for my last few vehicles (excluding my Chevy Van that I use for my business) I do have to come in and stick up for Cadillac here, at least to some extent. My parents have been loyal Caddy owners for years, my dad is a GM retiree so he gets an additional discount as well, nothing that great but a little extra off whatever anyone else can make and they always lease them so there's been a new one in the garage every 2 or 3 years. Now, going back to what they were making in late 80's, sure those cars were hardly better than just junk, even driving them off of the dealer's lot! They were poorly engineered and built and the reliability was very hit or miss, actually more miss than hit. Then, going into the 90's, I'd say that quality and engineering wise, they took a big step up, they leased a Deville sedan that was maybe a 93 model, I know it was the first year for the Northstar V8 and I think the second year for the all new model of Deville and I really don't remember them having hardly any issues with that car, other than a few little ones such as something going awry with the turn signals so instead of blinking at the normal pace, they'd blink really rapidly but it was under warranty and fixed with a quick trip to the dealer. The Northstar V8 was a nice motor to drive, very powerful and smooth. The big complaint I'd have with that generation was the design, they looked like a beached whale and still handled rather sloppily. They owned 2 or 3 of that generation before the next generation, which continued with the Northstar drivetrain and the design tightened up somewhat, finally replaced by the last DTS that came out I think in 2006, which was even a bit better. Now, you also have to keep in mind that the whole time they were Deville/DTS buyers, which was always Cadillac's least sporty model.

Now, the kind of funny part comes in a couple of years ago when my parents who were by then in their late 70's (but thankfully are still both in very good health and truly act and seem younger than they are age-wise) said that for the next Cadillac they were going to move away from the "old folks model" and try a CTS. They weren't usually too concerned about getting every possible option on their cars, they're not into all the various gizmos like Nav and all that but the one feature my mom really loved was having a heated steering wheel for our sometimes frigid WI winters. So, my dad went to the dealer and they said that the only model of CTS with a heated wheel was the fully loaded version so that's what they ended up with. I have to say, I didn't ever not want to drive any of the previous Caddys, but I was never that excited about it either, but driving the CTS was actually quite a bit of fun! Their CTS has the direct injected V6 that put out just over 300 hp then, now I think its over 320hp, running through a 6 speed auto that can be shifted manually as well, its really a fun car to drive and to push hard once in a while. The interior is quite nice, they get closer to what I'd expect in a MB, Audi or BMW with each generation as well. Besides all of that, looking back over the last 3 cars they've had, there have been basically zero problems with them at all, which I certainly cannot say for any of the recent German cars I've owned and if you look at the extensive data that Consumer Reports compiles each year, Cadillacs are more reliable than MB, Audi or BMW for sure.

I've read some very good reviews of the new ATS model, one of these days when I have some time to kill (which isn't very often for me!) I'm going to test drive one of them, I've heard especially rave reviews of the chassis and handling of the ATS from the car magazines, who always seem to favor German makes. So, if the new CTS is another step forward from the ATS, they might really be getting close!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: