LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 98 S70 Volvo, 93 300E 2.8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe we may wait to make our purchase of a "new to us" car until this A-class comes to the US, IF the "rumors" of the release are true in being for the 2014 model year (meaning: sometime in 2013, maybe earlier in the year, as that seems to be the trend these days and not in waiting until the Fall to officially release the new models).

The official fuel mileage of the 211 HP version will have to be released, unless they also release a Bluetec version, as it's first and foremost, all about economy of operation. Safety is definitely close behind, with performance being a close third. The quality must also be high, but in today's world, everyone seems to have a higher degree of quality than ever before in automotive history, but M-B is still very high on the list in all regards. Interior room is a factor, but since we are empty-nesters, we really don't need a large car anymore.

I would also put the new CLA in the mix, if it arrives to the US at the same time, as the style is outstanding, and very close to the most gorgeous car in the world (in our eyes), the CLS.

The other car to choose from, for us, will be a Bluetec E-class... a 2009 version, to be precise. It has everything we need, plus a bit more room inside. I am familiar with diesels and E-class cars as we had an 86 300SDL (one of the all-time great cars, as far as I am concerned, in its day), and still have a 300E 2.8 (that motor is outstanding the W124 is a super design in every regard, with the only issue being the trouble in repairing the climate control, which is currently working just fine).

So, which one to choose? Well, at this time, if I could actually choose one, I would likely pick the "baby CLS", the CLA. Second choice is a tough one as I am torn between the A-class and the '09 Bluetec E-class.

Finally, I have to inject another option, if it were available here in the US: the Bluetec 2.3L C-class sedan with a manual transmission and the Sport option; or the same car with the automatic and 4-Matic. If I could import a new one and get it by the EPA and US Customs without a hitch, I'd do it. However, I doubt if MB-USA would honor any warranty. Anyone have first-hand experience in this area?

Keep the shiny side UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Correction to my last post:

The CLA I referred to is actually the Concept Style Coupe, or CSC: Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class
#33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 1962 220SEb/Coupe; 2014 Passat TDI; 2011 Jetta TDI; 1957 MGA; 1990 300ZX; 1992 CitroŽn AX;
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A little change from previous post

I just ran through the links (to C&D articles and photos) on poster put up - that is a BIG change from the A-type, even the B-type is less "classic M-B" in its looks.
In describing the euro version, my quick scan yielded no less than 10 different motors, more than half of them diesels. Not counting the AMG45 version!! Holy cow. Its too bad the economics of distance make those choices off limits to us. Its like the new "Americanized" VW Jetta, made here and available with 3 motors (inlcuding the 140 h.p. version of the 2.0 diesel that's in the Passat) is only available in europe with a 105 h.p. version of the smaller 1.3 diesel that's made there, and no gasoline motors. As someone who drove a 123 type 240D as my primary car for 24 years (!), I think a diesel A-type with this new platform could be a classic and best seller for Mercedes.
#34 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

With all of this talk about what MB-USA is doing to provide a more positive impact on the fuel efficiency of their line of cars sold in the US, it is only logical that they will release their smaller cars here. I could imagine them testing the waters, so to speak, with what this thread is all about, as well as the Concept Style Coupe (CSC?) and then if all goes well, begin to release more of their Bluetecs here. I can even imagine them offering more diesels in their entire line rather than the ones which now grace our shores (GL, ML, R and E-class vehicles, not to mention the Freightliner/Chrysler/M-B commercial vans). Of course, prices will not be lower, not that I'd expect it. Seems that whenever we see a model line here, it is usually at a basic trim level far above what is seen elsewhere. That way, purchase prices can be (somewhat) justifiably higher. It is what it is... too bad, though, as I would love to own the aforementioned C220 Bluetec with manual trans. and sport suspension and get over 40mpg combined with very, very low emissions... even if diesel fuel is over $4/gallon here (still quite cheaper than elsewhere, such as in Europe). If we should ever live in Europe, though... :-)
#35 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Messier 81

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '08 BMW Z4 3.0si, '09 E350
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Pensacola, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via Skype™ to VaiFanatic
I myself would love a brand-new E 220CDI with 6-speed manual trans! I lust after that!

It's a shame standard has become such a rarity around here. Having driving a manual W140 in the past, I can happily say, big cars and manual gearboxes are fun!

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE ~100k miles
'51 Euro 170S *Being reborn*
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport ~42k miles
'08 BMW Z4 3.0 si ~14.3k miles
'09 E350 ~51k miles
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8

~Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.