Mercedes Shooting Break Concept Car Unveiled Ahead of Beijing Auto Show Debut - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes c350
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes Shooting Break Concept Car Unveiled Ahead of Beijing Auto Show Debut

Ahead of its debut at the Beijing Auto Show, Mercedes has just unveiled its new Shooting Break Concept – which by all accounts is a near-production vehicle. In many ways this is the CLS equivalent of the E-Class wagon although its not quite as innovative as this new wagon-meets-hatchback design is already being popularized by German rivals BMW and Audi with vehicles like the 5 Series GT and A5 Sportback.

The design of the Shooting Break Concept takes from the Mercedes Fascination design concept as well as the new F800 Style Concept – not to mention the brand's new SLS exotic. Mercedes says this new concept takes the coupe design in a new direction. Mercedes, after all, can be credited for introducing the 4-door coupe with the original CLS.

As for what's under the hood, well, Mercedes is previewing a new direct-injection 3.5-liter V6 with 306-hp and improved fuel economy that is expected to make its way into numerous other Mercedes products – and is much needed too. In addition, reports suggest a new single-turbo 4.6-liter V8 will deliver over 400-hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque.

Scheduled to debut at the Bieijing Auto Show, there's a possibility the Shooting Break Concept Car (codenamed X218) could be joined be a concept or production version of the second generation CLS.

Will the Shooting Break be the next CLS in terms of setting a trend and starting a new segment, or is it more likely to have the success of the R-Class?

More: Mercedes Shooting Break Concept Car Unveiled Ahead of Beijing Auto Show Debut on
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes-Benz ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm just not feeling that look... :s

2000 Mercedes ML320

"It's not where I am right now that matters, it's where I'm headed."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think this has been mistranslated from the Chinese press release as "Shooting Break" rather than "Shooting Brake". I would drive one for sure regardless of what you call it.

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
It just does not cut it for me, it is a cross between the CLS/R class/BMW X6 and BMW X1. nada it will not sell too well.

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 10:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2008
I like it, it looks better than BMW gt and let's face it these are the new suv's
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
I'd rather buy the W212 station wagon!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 04:31 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2009
Looks like a dog taking a poo. Someone should be shot for this design.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(... shaking my head in disbelief ...)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2009
This is absolutely nothing near a shooting brake !

A shooting brake is a 2-doors, 4-seaters, with a hatchback. The reason behind ? Because the 2-doors thingie allows for wheelbase reduction, weight gain, and elegance pertaining, hence gaining sportivity, while still being practical.

This retarded concept is just a CLS (a hatchback-coupé, to which two doors have been added, making it a... 4-doors hatchback, all simply, no more, no less, all but a coupé, that cannot have more than 2-doors, by the very definition of the expression... 4-doors coupé already is ridiculous at most as an expression), whose cargo compartment has been extended further back... which makes a... station wagon, no more, no less.

So the "geniuses" have taken the E-class, turned it in a hatchback, making it a model mid-way between the former and the already existing E SW (nothing to say about that... except that calling it a 4-doors coupé is totally dumb)... and then, they extend the cargo, reinventing the station wagon that already existed. The only image I think of concerning the intellectual journey that has lead to this is a stupid dog trying to catch is tail. Now, how would this fundamentally be a different model from the station wagon ? Ridiculous. Totally. It is quite, though, but have someone told the managers that the E-class SW already exists ?!?!?

Would they have wanted to innovate a bit, they could have kept the 4-seaters/2 doors/hatchback from the Fascination Concept, and maybe have added half rear doors, in a suicide/clamshell/sliding fashion. This would have made a very practical shooting brake (easier to enter than by folding the front seats, and easier to manage the cargo, when the rear seat would have been folded). This would have still allowed for a shorter wheelbase, and would have been very classy (sporty, but yet, practical). Honestly, I would blindly sign for one, at once.

Now, seriously, Merc is really starting to drive me mad. The vehicle I fantasize about as a utilitary/practical one would be the G-class : I love its roughness. But let us be honest, appart from dirty road, snow, frost and heavy rain (all my other vehicles are propulsions, and the winters are quite harsh, these years), I would never use it on hardcore all terrain crossing, hence, it would be a little bit exagerated to have such a thing. The ML would be the ideal size, but it just looks like a sedan to which a cargo hatch has been crudely added by a bunch of drunken Staline era communist Mc Gyvers (gess it is so soccer moms have the feeling they're in a more or less real car). The GLK is much too short (thanks, but no thanks : at 6"2 with people my size having to occasionally seat in the back, no way that the B-class-sized SUV coul cut it). And now, a long dream of mine, the shooting brake that is, turns not to be a shooting brake, but a vulgar station wagon branding an untruthful at most name.

Driving me mad, really. Though nice looking, this model is irrelevant, as it already exists. Not the leastest drop of innovation here : as new as it may be, a station wagon stays a station wagon, which is nothing at all like a shooting brake. Used to love a lot of what Mercedes was releasing, but now, the more models they get out (and this is saying, with the insane multitude of models they're releasing), the less I have the feeling that one could fit me... how does this liar concept make me feel, after the Fascination concept ? Pissed, really pissed, utterly pissed. Give us a real shooting brake, instead of spawning a duplicate of the already existing E-class SW. Damn !
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2009
Sorry, I cannot edit, but I meant to say "It is quite nice-looking, though, but have someone told the managers that the E-class SW already exists ?!?!?"
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: