Report: Mercedes Brining Fuel-Cell B-Class to U.S. in 2010 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes c350
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Report: Mercedes Brining Fuel-Cell B-Class to U.S. in 2010

Mercedes-Benz has announced that it will begin production of a zero-emissions hydrogen fuel-cell powered version of its compact B-Class model with sales starting in the U.S. and Europe next year.

Using a hydrogen-powered electric motor and a lithium ion battery pack, the F-Cell B-Class will make 134hp and 214 ft-lbs of torque. It will be capable of traveling 250 miles on a tank of hydrogen and get roughly 70 mpg.

"2009 is the year in which we are establishing further milestones where sustainable mobility is concerned. The B-Class F-CELL is taking on a pioneering role as the world's first fuel cell powered automobile to be produced under series production conditions", says Mercedes R&D boss Dr. Thomas Weber.

Like any Mercedes the B-Class F-Cell will be well equipped with leather, heated seats, automatic climate control and the Mercedes Command system.

In anticipation of the B-Class F-Cell hitting the market Mercedes is working with local governments in California as well as in Hamburg and Stuttgart in Germany to set up hydrogen refueling stations.

More: Report: Mercedes Brining Fuel-Cell B-Class to U.S. in 2010 on
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I wonder why MB took so long to get onto Hybrids. I guess they can claim research but they should have been ahead of the pack. Afterall, we're talking Mercedes Benz!

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:36 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has Mercedes thought about refueling stations for the fuel cell cars? I know Honda leases the FCX Clarity Hydrogen Fuel cell car in Los Angeles, so I'd guess that'd be one of the first markets? Unfortunately I don't see this taking off in my hometown Phoenix for many years to come
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: