LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes launching AMG awareness campaign

Stand anywhere near where an AMG Mercedes is driving and you'd have to be deaf not to hear it. But Mercedes-Benz is convinced that too few potential customers have heard of its performance range, so it's launching an awareness campaign around the United States that seeks to raise the profile of its top shelf performance models.

The project involves the establishment of AMG Performance Centers, a focused advertising campaign and a product-demonstration road show. An initial pilot project will involve seven dealers in California, Florida and New York, but by the end of the year, Mercedes expects that its top 30 dealerships – representing 80% of AMG sales in the US – will sign on to the program. Mercedes will subsidize dealerships on the cost of setting up separate AMG areas within their dealerships and training service personnel, as well as bringing the road show to town, which will demonstrate limited edition AMG models – we're thinking Black Series here – to select customers.

[Source: Automotive News – sub. req'd]
Mercedes launching AMG awareness campaign - Autoblog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4Matic Sedan w/Sport
Sounds Great But.....

I think the idea of creating awareness of the AMG brand is great! We'll most likely see some fun events, advos and new product options.
However, the downside is that the exclusivity of the AMG cars will most likely diminish. I liken this desire for more AMG volume at corporate MB to what BMW did with their "M" brand some years ago. At one point, the M version cars were hardcore, exclusive, racer-boy types and not mainstream. Then, BMW realized they could sell more cars with the M logo (to US market where tons of available credit put higher-priced cars in the hands of the masses...) and started making the cars more "luxurious" - offering 4-door and convertible versions of the M's. What I noticed at the time was that suddenly I was seeing M's everywhere -- not necessarily a bad thing, but took some of the allure and mystique out of my own (I've owned 3 M3's and an M6) M3 ownership. I suspect that this is likely to be the case as we get more AMG cars out there (let alone the AMG - styled but not-really-AMG-powered-cars)....

08e350

++++++++++++
2010 C300 Sport
Iridium
Black MB-Tex
Alum Trim
Premium II
Multimedia
Ipod
18" AMG
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone have an official MB link w/ this announcement information? I Googled it but could only find secondary sources.

Don't believe everything you think
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
I'm looking for a non-daily driver next year and I thought AMGs would be out of my price range. Now I realize they are not. I will probably check out the AMG SLK55 this weekend and the C63 when it comes out. I'm also looking at the Corvette and new CTS V. I've seen plenty of Mercedes since I lived 8 years in Germany. I just never owned one though.

Anyone take delivery in Germany? The $8 a gallon gas prices would be worth it for a couple thousand miles. I've riden in Mercedes that were doing about 150 before. I didn't realize how fast we were going until we were passing everything on the autobahn.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phileaglesfan View Post
I'm looking for a non-daily driver next year and I thought AMGs would be out of my price range. Now I realize they are not. I will probably check out the AMG SLK55 this weekend and the C63 when it comes out. I'm also looking at the Corvette and new CTS V. I've seen plenty of Mercedes since I lived 8 years in Germany. I just never owned one though.

Anyone take delivery in Germany? The $8 a gallon gas prices would be worth it for a couple thousand miles. I've riden in Mercedes that were doing about 150 before. I didn't realize how fast we were going until we were passing everything on the autobahn.
Regarding the gas prices, just hand them your credit card, sign and DON'T look at the totals. When you get home, you pay the CC off as a lump sum and don't even realize the gas price. It works much better when you live in denial on that one.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1999 SLK, and 2010 E-350
Lifetime Premium Member
I received this via email from the company today, thought it might be of interest. Sorry about the formatting during the paste.

"You have already got to know the personality of the Vision GLK, whose striking appearance is already making waves. But the pioneering vision of the Mercedes-Benz compact premium SUV is not just evident in its expressive design and exceptional driving characteristics.

Mercedes-Benz is presenting “TrueBlueSolutions” in its compact premium SUV, the Vision GLK BLUETEC HYBRID, at the Geneva Motor Show from 4 to 16 March.

The Vision GLK BLUETEC HYBRID unites the new generation of BLUETEC four-cylinder diesel engines with a hybrid module, providing performance that is just as impressive as ever. So get an idea of the Vision GLK BLUETEC HYBRID right now.

With consumption of just 5.9 l diesel/100 km and emissions of 157 g CO2 per kilometre, the Vision GLK BLUETEC HYBRID accelerates from 0–100 km/h in just 7.3 seconds. Its top speed is 215 km/h. The Vision GLK BLUETEC HYBRID has the highest total torque in its class in the world, with the lowest CO2 emission rates. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/jbrown/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image005.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/jbrown/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image005.gif[/IMG]
Thanks to AdBlue injection, up to 80% of nitrogen oxides are converted into harmless nitrogen and water, meaning the Vision GLK BLUETEC HYBRID fulfils even the strictest emissions criteria, such as the US norm BIN5. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/jbrown/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image005.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/jbrown/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image006.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/jbrown/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image005.gif[/IMG]
The hybrid module, a disc-shaped electric engine, increases environmental sustainability and the efficiency of the drive train. It supports the combustion engine in the acceleration phase and stores power from the braking process – fully automatically, of course.

Yours sincerely,

The Mercedes-Benz team
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
That's definatelly a step in the right direction. Hopefully they'll open one in ATL too!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey if this comes close to you, you had better go check it out. There is going to be a test drive portion of the tour and you will be able to test drive different AMG's on the track. As a bonus there is an E63 with a set if skid wheels installed so you can do a little drifting and driver training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz News & Polls > Mercedes-Benz News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in