Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Scott Dixon Robbed at Gunpoint in a Taco Bell Drive Thru

712 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
#2 ·
After the last several elections, i suspect the largest class of voters here is the ignorant class.
Turning a first world Country into a third world Country appears to be far easier than experts had anticipated.

With youngsters coming out of high school who can barely read and write, I doubt proposed tax cuts will improve education or law enforcements.

South of the border, those who can afford it live behind high walls with 24/7 armed security.
Btw, dark colored suburban's with armed guards are nick named 'American Express,' no kidding.
Lets hope that's not the future.

#3 ·
I am watching it happen. The statistics in the city I left for farm country are some of the worst per capita in the country. Half the news every night is
car jackings, shootings/killings and police problems. Milwaukee only has the population of San Jose, but easily 2-3 times the amount of crime.

I could see it coming. We used be nestled in a nice little corner of Milwaukee county, but even back 2000-2001 the schools were going to hell.
They merged the north shore safety departments from 5 individual ones to one large confused and and inept one. The failed condos and apartments
3 miles away were turned into public housing. We need to help those who truly can not earn, but only about 10-15% of the occupants fell into that group.
At the grocery store in the checkout line there were families where the kids had on $150 shoes, the women had $100 manicures, and they paid for their
goods with food stamps. Then they drove away in a brand new luxury car. The system is so broken I have lost faith that there could be a way to fix it.

Then one of my racing buddy's father was shot and killed defending his store during a robbery that is unsolved. That was less than 3 miles from our house and I would shop there.

2002 was when we made a dash for the country. We are not at armed guards yet, but have driveway sensors, cameras, and other goodies. I used to run low voltage wire for alarm companies and learned a lot of tricks.
About 4 miles from not far from where the 2017 US Open for golf is a gated subdivision is started. Somebody is planning for the future and I have no doubt they will sell all of the lots.

#4 ·
Disclaimer: Completely off topic

Few have the balls to publicly ask uncomfortable questions, especially those in conflict with the idealized view American's like to have of themselves.
Does loop sided distribution of wealth / the concentration of capital in less and less hands correlate to a measurable uptick in crime? In areas of long term unemployment in former steel/coal etc producing regions that appears to be the case.
The orgie of outsourcing has not always been justified imo.

Germany's specialized work force is one of the highest paid on the planet. There is outsourcing as well, but to a degree. If for example products made in Germany can be sold all over the world at a profit, what are the reasons the US can't do the same?
(collective bargaining with unions and giving their representatives seats on companies boards has worked there)

Some countries insist a better educated population will earn more and therefore return the nations investment with their taxes. So they provide free education (incl higher) for those who want to learn, an apprentice system to supply industry with qualified staff, those who want to employ people have to go for the letter of master craftsman, and take the burden of healthcare off companies shoulders. Most Europeans, see affordable healthcare as a basic human right, period.
Germany's national health plan (btw includes dental and vision) goes back to the year 1880 or so, and while additional insurance to upgrade say to a private room etc can be bought from private for profit insurers, most of us are fairly baffled about about the heated pro and con debate over here.
I think as the only provisio newly minted medical doctors have to work for a year or two in areas with few doctors, but they don't owe $3-400K like their American counterparts, perhaps bringing them a bit closer to the spirit of the hippocratic oath.

No offense, but massive tax cuts that also reduce funding for education make not even sense to the 3 wise monkeys (see new age version).
According to rumor, they used to be one more, but he went into politics :confused:

Attachments

#5 ·
As high as the tax rates are in many EU countries with strong GDP numbers it middle class lifestyle now costs less than it does in the us for the reasons you mentioned.

Add in the almost free healthcare they have and people are there are doing fine. Their infrastructure is in better shape. Public transportation is better and well utilized.

I suppose we could go on about this forever, but just know I am on the same page with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.