I am ready for Spa - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:25 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2001 CL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
."..he didn't leave room for one car. ".???...from what I saw, I think he didn't leave room for three cars, including his own.
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:06 AM
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by DrX View Post
I rewatched this incident several times from all the angles and on-boards, and I blame Seb. He turned in sharply across the apex and didn't leave room for one car. Coming into the corner, Max had a good overlap on Kimi before he left the track, and was entitled to some space. Kimi forced him onto the side but they would have all made it around if Vettel hadn't crashed into Kimi.
Verstappen made a slow start, otherwise he would have been sufficiently in front of both Ferrari.
Anyone who has driven single seaters (incl lowly formula V) knows its next to impossible to see if the car next to you is covering one more.
I give credence to Vettel's claim not to have seen there was another car next to Kimmy. After Max slow start, perhaps he didn't expect anyone there either.

The post start bang up can likely be relegate to 'racing incident' however unfortunate, the later 340kmh (213mph) 8th gear full throttle incident forcing Kimmy to brake in order not to hit Max rear was quite dangerous. We'll see whether such moves remain legal.
Someone with lesser race craft than Kimmy, and there was high potential of 2 nasty wrecks and 2 drivers seriously hurt.
Just my 10 Pfennig.
Noodles likes this.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 03:46 PM
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Max Verstappen warned by Charlie Whiting about driving style

Charles Coates / Getty Images
By Adam Cooper @adamcooper F1
Sep 2, 2016 at 9:30a ET
Charlie Whiting has told F1 team managers that Max Verstappen could have received an official warning in Spa, and Friday morning the FIA race director followed up by having an informal discussion with the Dutchman.

Afterward, Red Bull Racing team boss Christian Horner said that Verstappen had received a "gentle warning" about his future conduct.

Max Verstappen's defensive driving still a hot topic in Monza

The subject of Verstappen's driving came up in Thursday's regular team managers' meeting. Whiting acknowledged that having further reviewed the race, and in particular the blocking move on Kimi Raikkonen, in retrospect he might have suggested to the stewards that Max should receive a black and white warning flag.

The flag is shown as a final warning prior to the imposition of a penalty, and the FIA defines its use thus: "This flag should be shown once only and is a warning to the driver concerned that he has been reported for unsportsmanlike behavior." Its use has to be authorized by the stewards.

In the wake of the meeting, Verstappen and Red Bull Racing team manager Jonathan Wheatley met with Whiting, to clarify exactly what won't be acceptable in the future.

At Spa there were signs of a push for leniency in order to allow drivers to race in the light of controversy about some decisions.

The driver steward in Monza this weekend is multiple Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen.

Last edited by Teutone; 09-05-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: