Formula One drivers risking their health following orders to lose weight, warns Toro - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Formula One drivers risking their health following orders to lose weight, warns Toro

Formula One drivers risking their health following orders to lose weight, warns Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Toro Rosso's Carlos Sainz fears he and some other Formula One drivers have had to lose so much weight before the season starts, to compensate for heavier cars, that they risk compromising their health.

"How do you tell a driver to perform at his highest level while taking into account that he needs to lose three or four kilos?," the 21-year-old Spaniard told Reuters at the first test of the year.

"It's one thing against the other. You turn up to a test wanting to be as strong as possible but you cannot be as strong as possible because of weight (loss)," added the driver who did a massive total of 161 laps on Wednesday.

Drivers from three of the 11 teams have said they needed to lose weight before the opening race in Australia on March 20.

Australia's Daniel Ricciardo from Red Bull has shed three kilos, and says more must go, while Renault's Kevin Magnussen and Sainz's 18-year-old team-mate Max Verstappen have been told to lose a few.

Toro Rosso and Renault have changed engine supplier since last year, with the decisions coming very late in the day and causing design headaches, but Sainz saw other reasons too.

"There are new parts, more aerodynamic parts in the car which means more carbon fibre. A longer wheelbase so the car is a bit longer which makes it a bit heavier," he said.

Cars have more cockpit protection and also an extra exhaust pipe this year.

All teams aim for the lightest car and driver combination, with ballast used to bring it up to the minimum weight. This can be moved around, improving performance.

The heavier the driver, the less ballast available.

Sainz said his athletic weight was around 70kg and he had been asked to lose three or four kilos.

"It's a bit drastic," he said. "Maybe we (drivers) have to discuss it. I heard really drastic things from Jean-Eric Vergne, what he had to do.

"It's not safe and not the right way to go. We like to be fit and thin, that's our job, but it's not our job to be extremely skinny."

Former Toro Rosso driver Vergne was so weak he was taken to hospital after the 2014 Australian Grand Prix after dieting to reduce the advantage enjoyed by much lighter Russian team-mate Daniil Kvyat.

Minimum car weights were increased for 2015.

Kvyat, now with Ricciardo at Red Bull, told Reuters he did not have to lose any weight. Other teams, such as Williams, said it was not an issue.

Verstappen said he had lost two kilos.

"I'm still growing in terms of strength because I'm only 18. Then you do the training and at the end muscle is weight. So it all gets a bit more tricky," the Dutch driver said.

"I am 68 or 69kg now but it's quite hard if you are 1.80 metres. And in general the whole family is quite strongly built."

Reuters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Daniel Ricciardo says Red Bull team has told him to lose weight to increase car perfo

Daniel Ricciardo says Red Bull team has told him to lose weight to increase car performance - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Red Bull's Australian Daniel Ricciardo is making sure he will go into the new Formula One season next month looking leaner, if no meaner.

I'm still getting there. So far I've lost just over three kilos and I've got about two more to go.
Australian Formula One driver Daniel Ricciardo
The driver told reporters at a preseason launch that he was under team orders to get his weight down and still had some way to go if he is to reach the target before the first race in Melbourne on March 20.

"I'm still getting there. So far I've lost just over three kilos and I've got about two more to go," said Ricciardo, winner of three races in his career.

Driver weight was a particular issue during the 2014 season when the significantly heavier new V6 turbo hybrid power units were introduced to replace the old V8 engines.

Bigger men like Ricciardo, who is 1.75 metres tall and tipped the scales in the mid-60kg range in 2014, had to lose weight then because minimum car weights did not increase accordingly.

The limits were increased by 10kg for the 2015 season to level the playing field and address concerns that drivers were risking their health with too much weight loss.

However, the Red Bull team was handicapped last season by its uncompetitive Renault engine and is now seeking other ways of closing the performance gap, one of them being reducing weight where possible.

We are quite tight with the weight of the car and we have been advised to be a bit leaner than last year.
Teams believe that every five kg of weight is equal to around 0.2 seconds per lap, a significant amount in a sport measured to the thousandth of a second.

"It is not fun losing weight but if I thought it would be a real challenge...I would not have got the weight off," said Ricciardo, making light of the task.

"I know I can do it and hopefully get myself there. It is not only weight I put on over Christmas because I didn't put 5kg on," he added.

"But we are quite tight with the weight of the car and we have been advised to be a bit leaner than last year. So it will be more like 2014 for us now."

Ricciardo's Russian team-mate Daniil Kvyat, ever competitive, joked to reporters that he had lost 25 kilos.

Reuters
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:06 AM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
More good stuff.

It is concerning that what are already very lean and fit athletes are having to drop more weight. I hope nobody passes out at the wheel in Malaysia.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Daniel Ricciardo says Red Bull team has told him to lose weight to increase car performance - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Red Bull's Australian Daniel Ricciardo is making sure he will go into the new Formula One season next month looking leaner, if no meaner.

I'm still getting there. So far I've lost just over three kilos and I've got about two more to go.
The driver told reporters at a preseason launch that he was under team orders to get his weight down and still had some way to go if he is to reach the target before the first race in Melbourne on March 20.

"I'm still getting there. So far I've lost just over three kilos and I've got about two more to go," said Ricciardo, winner of three races in his career.

Driver weight was a particular issue during the 2014 season when the significantly heavier new V6 turbo hybrid power units were introduced to replace the old V8 engines.

Bigger men like Ricciardo, who is 1.75 metres tall and tipped the scales in the mid-60kg range in 2014, had to lose weight then because minimum car weights did not increase accordingly.

The limits were increased by 10kg for the 2015 season to level the playing field and address concerns that drivers were risking their health with too much weight loss.

However, the Red Bull team was handicapped last season by its uncompetitive Renault engine and is now seeking other ways of closing the performance gap, one of them being reducing weight where possible.

We are quite tight with the weight of the car and we have been advised to be a bit leaner than last year.
Teams believe that every five kg of weight is equal to around 0.2 seconds per lap, a significant amount in a sport measured to the thousandth of a second.

"It is not fun losing weight but if I thought it would be a real challenge...I would not have got the weight off," said Ricciardo, making light of the task.

"I know I can do it and hopefully get myself there. It is not only weight I put on over Christmas because I didn't put 5kg on," he added.

"But we are quite tight with the weight of the car and we have been advised to be a bit leaner than last year. So it will be more like 2014 for us now."

Ricciardo's Russian team-mate Daniil Kvyat, ever competitive, joked to reporters that he had lost 25 kilos.

Reuters
i like your post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in