Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hamiltonís ink, blonde hair and destiny in Singapore

Hamilton?s ink, blonde hair and destiny in Singapore | Formula 1 Blog

Following Lewis Hamilton is like an episode of Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego. he crosses timelines like he crosses finishing lines these days on his Bombardier jet, dogs in tow and many of the music, fashion and modeling scene along for the ride.

Fair enough, itís not my scene, I canít afford that lifestyle but even if I could I wouldnít be doing the things Lewis does or hanging with the people he hangs with. Not because thereís anything wrong with it, Iím just a heck of a lot older than Lewis and if I showed up at the GQ awards, people would ask, ďwho brought their dad?Ē.

For me, Lewis is doing what many often claim they wish Formula 1 drivers would do. Live the life of an F1 driver without reservation or limits. Like Senna did. Like Hunt did. Lewis, for better or worse, is making the most of his wealth and status as a world champion and for this, Bernie Ecclestone loves him.

The 7-time champion, Michael Schumacher, wasnít like Lewis. He favored his family time and to remain anonymous in public. He shunned the limelight. So to did 4-time champ and fellow countryman Sebastian Vettel. Lewis, on the other hand, came from a couch in Stevenage and heís relishing his wealth and fame. I say good on him because many F1 fans often bemoan the lack of panache in todayís F1 drivers.

This article of at the Independent was gushing about Lewis and even took aim and shot at McLaren for trying to squelch his ethnicity:

ďThe second bit was right, and it killed him. His ethnicity, the cultural milieu of a mixed-race kid from Stevenage, was airbrushed out of the picture because it did not dovetail with the corporate message. They did not want a tattooed hipster from the hood parading around the margins after midnight with unsavoury deviants. They wanted him all shiny and new, uniformed, unblemished and compliant.Ē
I think thatís a little harsh. Lewis was much younger then and not the man he is today. He also didnít have the unfettered access to his own life he has now as he was being controlled by his own father in those days. McLaren are McLaren and they have an image and Lewis knew that going in. Fernando Alonso has to play by their rules as well as Jenson Button to this day so infusing some sort of race-neutralizing gambit is really a sad narrative.

Lewis heads to Singapore this weekend to race once more and if things go right, he could equal his hero Ayrton Sennaís record wins at 41 in 161 races. It is a destiny that he will want very badly this weekend and will do everything he can to achieve it.

I say good on him. Live it up while you can because success in F1 is so difficult to achieve and even more difficult to sustain. The FIA re-wrote all the rules to neuter Red Bullís domination and handed it, clearly, to Mercedes. Some feel they may do the same in 2017 but weíll have to wait and see. If they do re-write the rules, Lewisís days of sheer dominance may come to an end but I doubt his globe-trotting lifestyle will. Thatís just who Lewis is right now. Iím happy for him and glad he is living the life many dream of while the rest of us sit on our proverbial couches in our own version of Stevenage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamilton-GQ.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1610585  
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: